By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokemon Black/White Thread

Just got my game!! It looks awesome

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Around the Network

Maybe some nice person here can help me?

I was thinking about getting the game, but I'm not sure how I will like it (didn't care for D/P although I liked the others). Just some questions.

1)How is the story, and by that I mean, how does it impact the game. I'm worried it will slow down the game very much. I was worried because the game started with a lot of dialogue I heard. Is there a lot of forced dialogue or is it just in the beginning.
2)I heard there is a lot of freedom. Is that true?
3)Any nice new features. I know there are some things that are new, but how are they.
4)How is the game overall? Would you recommend it to me, someone who did care for Diamond and Pearl (BTW, I didn't like the games because it was too much about the end game. The 150 Pokemon sucked and there were too many pre-evolutions. Also, no fire Pokemon)

Lastly, if I get the game, who should my starter be? I'm not keen on any of them.

Oh, and one last thing. I don't want to know anything about the new Pokemon, so could anyone just quote my post and no mention them specifically. Sorry, but I want to be somewhat surprised to see new Pokemon.

Thanks in advance!

Smashchu2 said:

I was thinking about getting the game, but I'm not sure how I will like it (didn't care for D/P although I liked the others). Just some questions.

1)How is the story, and by that I mean, how does it impact the game. I'm worried it will slow down the game very much. I was worried because the game started with a lot of dialogue I heard. Is there a lot of forced dialogue or is it just in the beginning.
3)Any nice new features. I know there are some things that are new, but how are they.
4)How is the game overall? Would you recommend it to me, someone who did care for Diamond and Pearl (BTW, I didn't like the games because it was too much about the end game. The 150 Pokemon sucked and there were too many pre-evolutions. Also, no fire Pokemon)

Lastly, if I get the game, who should my starter be? I'm not keen on any of them.

Oh, and one last thing. I don't want to know anything about the new Pokemon, so could anyone just quote my post and no mention them specifically. Sorry, but I want to be somewhat surprised to see new Pokemon.

Thanks in advance!

I second this.  Mine's in the mail, but the excitement is killing me!

Smashchu2 said:

Well, no, not really. Just at the beggining for the most part. You'll run into Team Plasma and your rivals FAR more than in other games, but at least it feels as though there's a reason. It all works very well and any dialogue which comes up, very rarely will it last more than a minute anyway...

To an extent, yes. Pokemon hasn't been well-known for its freedom, and this game is no different. You still have to take gyms in a set order, but this time you can go to areas which aren't on the main quest. Breif example? A short road between 2 cities leads onto a massive open desert with around 10-15 trainers to battle. MAke it through there, to get to a castle. This is an area MUCH later in the story, but going there early will net you a fossil, going to a certain gym can turn that into one of the best pokemon in the game...

There's loads of bits like this, especially in the towns (Battle Subway, Pokemon Musical, Battle Tower in one city alone!) so whilst you can't take the gyms in any order (but you can the Elite 4!), the path is much less direct than it used to be...

A lot of the features are cosmetic, such as 3D angles, more sprites, pokemon animations mid-battle, but there are a few big ones, mainly the move lists, the speccial status of your pokemon and triple/rotational battles.

You may not notice the differences, but I tried to go back to Diamond yesterday and it just felt...weird.

I'd say its definitely the best pokemon game! The main story takes about 60 hours to complete fully, but there's a whole other side to Unova with another 4 cities, 7 routes, caves and challenges to go to. It's like another game over there, insanely hard pokemon and battles. These pokemon are awesome IMO, but still too few fire pokemon. Maybe that's because they thrash all gym leaders

If you read the above bit you'd see that Tepig is the best by far. Its the strongest, changes to Fire and Fighting, has a nice move pool (it can learn grass attacks???), and is great against 6 of the 8 gyms. The other pokemon starters are only best against 3 or 4, but if you hate tepig then go for Oshawatt. It looks the coolest and there's few water pokemon in the main story early on, but its not as strong as Tepig and doesn't have the variety of moves...

Thanks in advance!

Hope that clears things up for you

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Smashchu2 said:

Well, no, not really. Just at the beggining for the most part. You'll run into Team Plasma and your rivals FAR more than in other games, but at least it feels as though there's a reason. It all works very well and any dialogue which comes up, very rarely will it last more than a minute anyway...

To an extent, yes. Pokemon hasn't been well-known for its freedom, and this game is no different. You still have to take gyms in a set order, but this time you can go to areas which aren't on the main quest. Breif example? A short road between 2 cities leads onto a massive open desert with around 10-15 trainers to battle. MAke it through there, to get to a castle. This is an area MUCH later in the story, but going there early will net you a fossil, going to a certain gym can turn that into one of the best pokemon in the game...

There's loads of bits like this, especially in the towns (Battle Subway, Pokemon Musical, Battle Tower in one city alone!) so whilst you can't take the gyms in any order (but you can the Elite 4!), the path is much less direct than it used to be...

A lot of the features are cosmetic, such as 3D angles, more sprites, pokemon animations mid-battle, but there are a few big ones, mainly the move lists, the speccial status of your pokemon and triple/rotational battles.

You may not notice the differences, but I tried to go back to Diamond yesterday and it just felt...weird.

I'd say its definitely the best pokemon game! The main story takes about 60 hours to complete fully, but there's a whole other side to Unova with another 4 cities, 7 routes, caves and challenges to go to. It's like another game over there, insanely hard pokemon and battles. These pokemon are awesome IMO, but still too few fire pokemon. Maybe that's because they thrash all gym leaders

If you read the above bit you'd see that Tepig is the best by far. Its the strongest, changes to Fire and Fighting, has a nice move pool (it can learn grass attacks???), and is great against 6 of the 8 gyms. The other pokemon starters are only best against 3 or 4, but if you hate tepig then go for Oshawatt. It looks the coolest and there's few water pokemon in the main story early on, but its not as strong as Tepig and doesn't have the variety of moves...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! The only thing that annoys me is how hard it is to get them all if you havent done things in previous games, like go to events.  I feel like that's kinda unfair/lame, I want those too!  :(

Around the Network

Man do I envy you guys...

On a plus note, it's good to see all these positive reaction while aquiring the game and experience it first hand, rather the negative responds when the new pokemon were first unveiled, what a turn-around! :D

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Conegamer said:

Yeah, it does. I was worried that the story might drag on (I know the begining is long), but it seems that it's not that bad. Thank you!

NYANKS said:
Conegamer said:
Smashchu2 said:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! The only thing that annoys me is how hard it is to get them all if you havent done things in previous games, like go to events.  I feel like that's kinda unfair/lame, I want those too!  :(

Don't worry. I have the same issue, I haven't really plyed pokemon before this game enough to bother with filling up the pokedex

And no problem you two, I hope its confirmed your purchase now

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
NYANKS said:
Conegamer said:
Smashchu2 said:

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry. I have the same issue, I haven't really plyed pokemon before this game enough to bother with filling up the pokedex

And no problem you two, I hope its confirmed your purchase now

I've played every gen and completely beat the first two gens.  I still have Red version with all 151 pokemon sealed in one of those plastic cases in my room....in the box.  I have 322 pokemon in Heart Gold (not including lame even legendaries).  This is past purchased.

Seven badges... I'm almost there! XD

Man, this game is great. Loving every second of it, and I'm glad to see so many of you are too.