By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokemon Black/White Thread

lestatdark said:
SmokedHostage said:
lestatdark said:
SmokedHostage said:

I feel very behind.

1 badge, party of Purrlion, Panpour and Snivy.

I like quite a few of the little things like the box system and the inventory.  Don't like the new experience system though.

I haven't noticed anything different in the experience system. What's new about it?

That has me worried..  You seem to get less exp for being the same Pokémon of the same level if you're a higher level.  For instance, say your Snivy is level 10 and beats a level 5 Patrat.  If you beat another Patrat at level 5 and your Snivy is now level 12 you get less experience.

Ahhh yes, that thing. Yeah I had noticed that, but I didn't give it much thought. More pokemons to fight to level up = more EV's that your pokemon gain, so that can't be a bad thing.

So long as they actually havge Pokemon that stick to your level. There needs to be a Final Fantasy 8-style dungeon in Pokemon games, one where wild levels are relative to your own (not equal as that would be too hard, but scale with you)

Anyway, i was wondering about which starter to pick, so two questions:
A: Which one type-matches with more of the gym-leaders (especially early in the game)?
B: Is there a severe deficiency of one of those three types of Pokemon in Unovo? (i.e. there were next to no Fire Pokemon on the Sinnoh dex, which came back to bite me around Elite 4 time, though otherwise i was quite happy with Empoleon over Infernape)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
lestatdark said:
SmokedHostage said:
lestatdark said:
SmokedHostage said:

I feel very behind.

1 badge, party of Purrlion, Panpour and Snivy.

I like quite a few of the little things like the box system and the inventory.  Don't like the new experience system though.

I haven't noticed anything different in the experience system. What's new about it?

That has me worried..  You seem to get less exp for being the same Pokémon of the same level if you're a higher level.  For instance, say your Snivy is level 10 and beats a level 5 Patrat.  If you beat another Patrat at level 5 and your Snivy is now level 12 you get less experience.

Ahhh yes, that thing. Yeah I had noticed that, but I didn't give it much thought. More pokemons to fight to level up = more EV's that your pokemon gain, so that can't be a bad thing.

So long as they actually havge Pokemon that stick to your level. There needs to be a Final Fantasy 8-style dungeon in Pokemon games, one where wild levels are relative to your own (not equal as that would be too hard, but scale with you)

Anyway, i was wondering about which starter to pick, so two questions:
A: Which one type-matches with more of the gym-leaders (especially early in the game)?
B: Is there a severe deficiency of one of those three types of Pokemon in Unovo? (i.e. there were next to no Fire Pokemon on the Sinnoh dex, which came back to bite me around Elite 4 time, though otherwise i was quite happy with Empoleon over Infernape)

The level scaling is as it always was for every other pokemon game. Each route/area has it's own pokemon and their fixed levels as well. I'm actually fond of this system in Black, as I've been gaining far more EV's than in the past games.

As for your questions:

A - For the starter gyms, the best pick would be Tepig, as it's evolution becomes Fire/Fighting, which will allow you to take on the 2nd Gym (Normal Gym) with ease and the 3rd Gym (Bug Gym) with ease as well. You can find some good Fighting types early on (Like Sawk, the blue fighting pokemon that I've got on my White team, it's one of the best in the game), but there's almost no Fire pokemon in the Unova region

B - I kinda answered this question on the previous line. There's an abudance of Water and Grass pokemon, even from the start of the game, but Fire pokemon are really, really scarce. Other than Pansear, which you'll only obtain if you pick Oshawott as your starter, there's Darumaka, which you'll only see after Castelia City (3rd Gym) and Litwick (A Ghost/Fire type), which you'll only see on Celestial Tower, before you reach the 6th gym. 

Edit - I forgot to add, there's also the Larvesta egg (Bug/Fire), that you can get after you earn the Surf HM, but it's not worth using it until you beat the Elite Four. It's evolution is one of the best pokemons in the game, Volcarona, but you'll only reach it at Level 59. Also, it's over 10K steps to hatch the egg, and with no Magma/Flame Body pokemon (Larvesta will be your first, if you hatch it), it will take a lot of time to hatch it, trust me >_<.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

there is always a lack of wild fire pokemon in each game, which is too bad because they are very helpful and generally very good (darumaka hits like a truck)

but i'm actually surprised at the lack of water pokemon unova has, besides panpopur the only prevalent one i've run into is tympole, which i haven't used so i don't know how good it is

DrZoidberg said:

there is always a lack of wild fire pokemon in each game, which is too bad because they are very helpful and generally very good (darumaka hits like a truck)

but i'm actually surprised at the lack of water pokemon unova has, besides panpopur the only prevalent one i've run into is tympole, which i haven't used so i don't know how good it is

Once you gain Surf, you'll find quite a few useful ones. Basculin is an Atk powerhouse, Alomonmola works like a Water Blissey, Frillish and it's evolution Jellicent are Ghost/Water and have good'ish stats all around (especially Sp. Def). 

Tympole, Palpitoad and Seismitoad are this generation answer to Quagsire, but much more powered up and without the Speed deficit that Quagsire had. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
DrZoidberg said:

Once you gain Surf, you'll find quite a few useful ones. Basculin is an Atk powerhouse, Alomonmola works like a Water Blissey, Frillish and it's evolution Jellicent are Ghost/Water and have good'ish stats all around (especially Sp. Def).

Oh, ok i don't have surf yet. and its too bad that basculin does not evolve into something awesome (like magikarp and feebas)

Around the Network
DrZoidberg said:
lestatdark said:
DrZoidberg said:

Oh, ok i don't have surf yet. and its too bad that basculin does not evolve into something awesome (like magikarp and feebas)

Yeah, that would be awesome, because in terms of Base Stats, Basculin is far away from the 540 of either Gyarados and Milotic.

One thing I noticed in this gen, is that there's not a lot of over 500 Base Stats pokemon. 

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:

battling in the 4th gym in pokemon white(bought both) about 12 hours in

anyone know any good water pokemon in these versions?(beside oshawott)

my party at this moment consists of:

Blitzle,Tranquill, Liepard, Herdier, Gurdurr, and Pignite

Tympole is a good Water/Ground pokemon, which evolves into Palpitoad at level 25 and Seismitoad at level 36. It's base is 499, with 105 on HP and overall 70's on everything else.

I woudn't recommend Liepard any further, Sandile and it's evolutions are far more better choices for a Dark pokemon, though it's a personal choice

yeah, I am thinking of getting rid of Liepard, anyway, how did you get both Zoroark and Victini? I thought you needed to beat the game before getting them.(have the Shiny legenary dogs and celibi, along with the liberty pass)

arcane_chaos said:
lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:

Tympole is a good Water/Ground pokemon, which evolves into Palpitoad at level 25 and Seismitoad at level 36. It's base is 499, with 105 on HP and overall 70's on everything else.

I woudn't recommend Liepard any further, Sandile and it's evolutions are far more better choices for a Dark pokemon, though it's a personal choice

yeah, I am thinking of getting rid of Liepard, anyway, how did you get both Zoroark and Victini? I thought you needed to beat the game before getting them.(have the Shiny legenary dogs and celibi, along with the liberty pass)

To get Victini, once you get the Liberty pass from the event, you only need to reach Castelia City and go to the farthest left dock. There's a blue boat that will take you to the island where Victini is. 

To get Zorua, you need to go to the rightmost alley in Castelia City, enter a building there which goes up to the 11th floor and there will be a scientist there. He'll ask you a question and you'll have to reply on the same fashion that you had to unlock the Mystery Gift in D/P/Pt. The phrase is: EVERYONE HAPPY and SIMPLE CONNECTION. 

That will unlock the Relocator on the main menu. You'll also need another DS with a HG/SS/Pt copy with the event Celebi and Shiny Entei/Suicine/Raikou. The Relocator will bring all those pokemons to Black or White without having to use the Poke Transfer.

To get Zorua, you need to bring Celebi to the left building in the alley before exiting to route 4, and to get the female Zoroark, you'll need to bring any of the Shinies to the Lostlorn Forest, north of route 16.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:
lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:

To get Victini, once you get the Liberty pass from the event, you only need to reach Castelia City and go to the farthest left dock. There's a blue boat that will take you to the island where Victini is. 

To get Zorua, you need to go to the rightmost alley in Castelia City, enter a building there which goes up to the 11th floor and there will be a scientist there. He'll ask you a question and you'll have to reply on the same fashion that you had to unlock the Mystery Gift in D/P/Pt. The phrase is: EVERYONE HAPPY and SIMPLE CONNECTION. 

That will unlock the Relocator on the main menu. You'll also need another DS with a HG/SS/Pt copy with the event Celebi and Shiny Entei/Suicine/Raikou. The Relocator will bring all those pokemons to Black or White without having to use the Poke Transfer.

To get Zorua, you need to bring Celebi to the left building in the alley before exiting to route 4, and to get the female Zoroark, you'll need to bring any of the Shinies to the Lostlorn Forest, north of route 16.

ah, thanks!!! =)

Fighting the Elite Four right now. Zoroark destroyed Shauntal's Ghost pokemon and now I'm moving on to Grimsley's Dark pokemon, which will be easy prey for Sawk. 

I've got to say, the entrance animations to each Elite Four members room is pretty amazing, plus the ability to choose the order in which you fight them is also a pretty welcomed addition. 

Current PC Build