By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide UP! (Nov. 1-7)

thx1139 said:
haxxiy said:
thx1139 said:
leatherhat said:

The 199 cut is most important, the vast majority of consoles sold are sold after a system hits 199, especially in America. PS3 is at a big disadvantage not having a 199 sku, but it still is selling very well. The 199 ps3 will be the final cut in the console war. 

Yes we have heard that time and time again.  We only have history of the Playstation and Playstation 2 selling at $199 to base this on when they had already won the previous generations.  Things will play out very differently this time with the 2 consoles in front of the PS3 probably at the $100 price point when the PS3 hits $200.

Do you believe we'll see a $100 console this gen? Alriiight...

Why not by the time the PS3 drops $400 from launch it is perfectly viable that the base 360 drops $200 and the Wii drops $150.

Two things

360 started at 500, so it would be 400 of the starting point as well

The 199 price point making up the bulk of sales applies to all consoles, not just ps1 and 2

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
blue7x7 said:

Wow so Kinect did have an impact for the Xbox 360 in America and only for 2-3 days that's quite a bump. 

Amazing sales for all consoles, especially the 360. I'm glad the PS3 could keep up.

TheSource said:

PS3 is getting Gran Turismo 5 before just Black Friday it looks like. That should be an excellent week for Sony. That may end up being the biggest PS3 week of the year, maybe as high as 1.2m, with following weeks lower without the GT5 spike.

Wow!

You really think it could do that well?

Does it depend on bundles?

TheSource said:

Whoever calculated the console drops / rises on the front page needs some lessons in division / percentages. 327k / 469k = -30%, not -43%.

For Wii the drop off is about 30%, and it should shrink some next week when the Mario bundle comes to the USA and seasonality pushes continue to grow. X360 and PS3 are going to be up a ton next week as well. There is a slim chance all three consoles will be over 400,000 next week, although I'd wager PS3 will be just under 400,000 and Wii only just above it.

PS3 is getting Gran Turismo 5 before just Black Friday it looks like. That should be an excellent week for Sony. That may end up being the biggest PS3 week of the year, maybe as high as 1.2m, with following weeks lower without the GT5 spike.

Ive got to see it to believe it!

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Whoever calculated the console drops / rises on the front page needs some lessons in division / percentages. 327k / 469k = -30%, not -43%.

For Wii the drop off is about 30%, and it should shrink some next week when the Mario bundle comes to the USA and seasonality pushes continue to grow. X360 and PS3 are going to be up a ton next week as well. There is a slim chance all three consoles will be over 400,000 next week, although I'd wager PS3 will be just under 400,000 and Wii only just above it.

1.2M ? I would take that bet... If FFXIII didnt make that i dont think it will be GT5.

Reach said:
TheSource said:

1.2M ? I would take that bet... If FFXIII didnt make that i dont think it will be GT5.

FFXIII's effect was limited to Japan. GT5 will have a worldwide effect and be much greater. It's impact in Japan is already a foregone conclusion, the blue GT5 bundles have been sold out since the day after they were announced. It's likely an automatic 100k-150k boost depending on how many are produced and distributed (there were 200k FFXIII and GT5P bundles. Although the GT5P bundle wasn't a unique specially colored console).

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Reach said:
TheSource said:

FFXIII's effect was limited to Japan. GT5 will have a worldwide effect and be much greater. It's impact in Japan is already a foregone conclusion, the blue GT5 bundles have been sold out since the day after they were announced. It's likely an automatic 100k-150k boost depending on how many are produced and distributed (there were 200k FFXIII and GT5P bundles. Although the GT5P bundle wasn't a unique specially colored console).

If we were talking about a Decmber Week i would believe that.

leatherhat said:

Two things

360 started at 500, so it would be 400 of the starting point as well

The 199 price point making up the bulk of sales applies to all consoles, not just ps1 and 2

360 actually started at $299/$399 for the Core/Premium as they were called back then.

As for that $199 thing, this gen has broke the rules on SOOOOOOOOO many things that the $199 principle doesn't really apply.  Best thing to do this gen is to continue to watch in awe as it simply rewrites all the rules.

Reach said:
TheSource said:

How dare you compare FFXIII impact with GT5, no not even that, how dare you compare GT and FF reputation or fame. FF sold more overall, but it had more games released. You'll see when in the end, GT5 sales = twice FFXIII sales.