By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Retailers threaten to ban Steam games!

Trentonater said:
nordlead said:

I completely understand where the retailers are coming from. It is the equivalent of selling McDonnalds burgers in Burger King take out bags and sandwich wrappers. I support the retailers and hope they force these companies to remove Steam from the retail copies of the game. I have no problem with Steam personally, but I don't want to install Steam just to play a game I bought in a brick and mortar store or off of a website like Amazon.

do you know how to get rid of all theses lysol and acne ads

Two ways to get rid of them

1. Move to another country 

2. I'm not allowed to say I don't think...

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Kasz216 said:

No, i'm saying it's irrelevent because you live in such a small country.

You can't expect retailers to effect their entire worldwide buisness for such a small country.

Arrogant, ignorant and when proven wrong, dismissive. I think I can guess your nationality.

I was never proven wrong?

It's illegal in the vast majority of countries, and you want an exception so that you can sell games in a very small minority country where the sales share is even lower then the population share.

Kasz216 said:
Antabus said:
Kasz216 said:

You can't expect retailers to effect their entire worldwide buisness for such a small country.

Arrogant, ignorant and when proven wrong, dismissive. I think I can guess your nationality.

It's illegal in the vast majority of countries, and you want an exception so that you can sell games in a very small minority country where the sales share is even lower then the population share.

Vast majority =/= USA. It is not illegal in most of the european countries, including such minority countries as Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK and Russia. In some asian minority countries such Japan and China it is also legal to sell used games.

I guess we have a different definition for being wrong. In my book when someone claims that he knows the other persons local regulations better, or maybe even call him criminal and uninformed... is proved wrong simply by showing him how it is there. But I guess you aren't proven wrong because where you live, it might be illegal. We minorities should know better, we should not argue with the almighty american.

Now you made me want to listen to Green Day.. thanks.

Antabus said:
Kasz216 said:
Antabus said:
Kasz216 said:

Vast majority =/= USA. It is not illegal in most of the european countries, including such minority countries as Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK and Russia. In some asian minority countries such Japan and China it is also legal to sell used games.

I guess we have a different definition for being wrong. In my book when someone claims that he knows the other persons local regulations better, or maybe even call him criminal and uninformed... is proved wrong simply by showing him how it is there. But I guess you aren't proven wrong because where you live, it might be illegal. We minorities should know better, we should not argue with the almighty american.

Now you made me want to listen to Green Day.. thanks.

Except... it is illegal... in the UK, Spain and France.

Read a lot of EULA's that state that by agreeing you agree to seek any claims for things like not being aloud to resale in your home country, and often in Germany, France, or the UK or whatever country the publisher is from.

Your location said the UK... where it is illegal.  Afterwords I said it was likely you were mistaken... because again, it was likely... since in most of europe it is illegal. 

That really is all there is to say.   Your angry because people are not going out of their way for a very small percentage of the software buying public.

That's not really a reasonable reason to be angry. 

If you've really got a problem with it, you should try and start a lawsuit saying that Steam infringes your right to resale, and see where it gets you.

If your lucky, they may deintegrate just for your area and the few like it. (though probably replace it with CD drive destroying starforce.)

If your unlucky, you may win... and they'll just stop providing games.

It's got nothing to do with "not being from America".

It's about "Not being from a big enough consumer base."

If my local state said "All videogames must not have DRMs"  I wouldn't really bitch and complain about steam... because it's just my state.  Can't expect a big company to go out of their way for such a small percentage of the consumer base. (Ohio for example is like twice the size of Finland, and actually consumer base size for games is even larger.)

It's clear your just unreasonably mad, unwilling to look at it rationally and going out of your way to flame other peoples nationalties... so really. 

I'm done.  Maybe when you calm down you'll understand my point, but this is my last post.

Kasz216 said:

Except... it is illegal... in the UK, Spain and France. I know you don't understand french or spanish so maybe you should try to google "pre owned pc games UK" and take a look. You can find a lot of stores which sell those used games. I guess they would not be doing that if it was illegal, right?

Read a lot of EULA's that state that by agreeing you agree to seek any claims for things like not being aloud to resale in your home country, and often in Germany, France, or the UK or whatever country the publisher is from.

Your location said the UK... where it is illegal.  Afterwords I said it was likely you were mistaken... because again, it was likely... since in most of europe it is illegal. 

That really is all there is to say.   Your angry because people are not going out of their way for a very small percentage of the software buying public.

That's not really a reasonable reason to be angry. 

If you've really got a problem with it, you should try and start a lawsuit saying that Steam infringes your right to resale, and see where it gets you.

If your lucky, they may deintegrate just for your area and the few like it. (though probably replace it with CD drive destroying starforce.)

If your unlucky, you may win... and they'll just stop providing games.

It's got nothing to do with "not being from America".

It's about "Not being from a big enough consumer base."

If my local state said "All videogames must not have DRMs"  I wouldn't really bitch and complain about steam... because it's just my state.  Can't expect a big company to go out of their way for such a small percentage of the consumer base. (Ohio for example is like twice the size of Finland, and actually consumer base size for games is even larger.)

It's clear your just unreasonably mad, unwilling to look at it rationally and going out of your way to flame other peoples nationalties... so really. 

I'm done.  Maybe when you calm down you'll understand my point, but this is my last post.

Except it is not illegal in UK, Spain or France. In fact it is not illegal anywhere in EU.

EULA=/=law. If EULA contradicts the law (which it does in EU), it is void. Even if it did not contradict the law, it would be good only if it was 1) in the persons native language 2) agreed on before the purchase. You could read those links I posted. The ones in german.

EU, Russia and Japan are a much bigger "consumer base" than USA. Not a "small percentage".

Yes, I have a problem with that I can't sell my steam games. No, I am not going to make a lawsuit about it. For those games bought on retail and which force you to install steam: There is no need to make a case, it has been made clear by few court verdicts that consumer has the right to sell their used games.

I am not mad about those things, what annoys me is your attitude. You come and claim your superior knowledge against someone who actually might know how it is here. Call him a criminal and uninformed.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Except... it is illegal... in the UK, Spain and France.

I have to echo Anatabus' follow up: violating a EULA is not illegal, and many EULA terms can be unenforceable under the law.

steam is awesome. Can't wait for the christmas sales

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Antabus said:

Except it is not illegal in UK, Spain or France. In fact it is not illegal anywhere in EU.

EULA=/=law. If EULA contradicts the law (which it does in EU), it is void. Even if it did not contradict the law, it would be good only if it was 1) in the persons native language 2) agreed on before the purchase. You could read those links I posted. The ones in german.

EU, Russia and Japan are a much bigger "consumer base" than USA. Not a "small percentage".

Yes, I have a problem with that I can't sell my steam games. No, I am not going to make a lawsuit about it. For those games bought on retail and which force you to install steam: There is no need to make a case, it has been made clear by few court verdicts that consumer has the right to sell their used games.

I am not mad about those things, what annoys me is your attitude. You come and claim your superior knowledge against someone who actually might know how it is here. Call him a criminal and uninformed.

There is a massive reason Steam doesn't allow for a resell market. Steam digitally registers a game's CD key to the servers of different game manufacturers just like what you do with a CD key pasted on the manual of a retail copy of your favorite multiplayer game. Just like retail PC games, unless you take the time to release your CD key through the manufacturer of the game, even if you resell it, the CD key is still registered and in your ownership. So pretty much the person buying your game would have to buy a brand new CD key if they want to play a multiplayer game online due to the need to register a new account with an unused CD key.

With Steam, there is no process available or coded to effectively handly digital registered CD keys. Truthfully its probably impossible since Valve and Steam should loses control over your CD key to the publisher after digital registration. All stats and all that are tracked through code in Steamworks. 

CD keys do two main things. It protects the publisher/developer's property from piracy, and it allows for digital account tracking for stats, achievements, etc.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I do't like Digital Download so I am for this boycot.

I like all my games to come in hard copy packages.

Slimebeast said:

I do't like Digital Download so I am for this boycot.

I like all my games to come in hard copy packages.

you do know disks rot right? a standard well taken care of disk only has a lifespan of maybe 10 - 20 years. I've already had a few games and a bunch of music CDs rot out of my physical collection.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453