By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Retailers threaten to ban Steam games!

ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:

I do't like Digital Download so I am for this boycot.

I like all my games to come in hard copy packages.

you do know disks rot right? a standard well taken care of disk only has a lifespan of maybe 10 - 20 years. I've already had a few games and a bunch of music CDs rot out of my physical collection.

That sucks. I didn't know that. I thought a CD lasted for 50 years and a DVD maybe even longer.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:

I do't like Digital Download so I am for this boycot.

I like all my games to come in hard copy packages.

you do know disks rot right? a standard well taken care of disk only has a lifespan of maybe 10 - 20 years. I've already had a few games and a bunch of music CDs rot out of my physical collection.

That sucks. I didn't know that. I thought a CD lasted for 50 years and a DVD maybe even longer.

well if you keep your discs in a cool dry dark place they should last that long otherwise they don't...

Not many people keep their discs in archival condition. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

ssj12 said:
Antabus said:

Except it is not illegal in UK, Spain or France. In fact it is not illegal anywhere in EU.

EULA=/=law. If EULA contradicts the law (which it does in EU), it is void. Even if it did not contradict the law, it would be good only if it was 1) in the persons native language 2) agreed on before the purchase. You could read those links I posted. The ones in german.

EU, Russia and Japan are a much bigger "consumer base" than USA. Not a "small percentage".

Yes, I have a problem with that I can't sell my steam games. No, I am not going to make a lawsuit about it. For those games bought on retail and which force you to install steam: There is no need to make a case, it has been made clear by few court verdicts that consumer has the right to sell their used games.

I am not mad about those things, what annoys me is your attitude. You come and claim your superior knowledge against someone who actually might know how it is here. Call him a criminal and uninformed.

There is a massive reason Steam doesn't allow for a resell market. Steam digitally registers a game's CD key to the servers of different game manufacturers just like what you do with a CD key pasted on the manual of a retail copy of your favorite multiplayer game. Just like retail PC games, unless you take the time to release your CD key through the manufacturer of the game, even if you resell it, the CD key is still registered and in your ownership. So pretty much the person buying your game would have to buy a brand new CD key if they want to play a multiplayer game online due to the need to register a new account with an unused CD key.

With Steam, there is no process available or coded to effectively handly digital registered CD keys. Truthfully its probably impossible since Valve and Steam should loses control over your CD key to the publisher after digital registration. All stats and all that are tracked through code in Steamworks. 

CD keys do two main things. It protects the publisher/developer's property from piracy, and it allows for digital account tracking for stats, achievements, etc.

I don't believe for a second that it would be difficult to transfer the license to another user.

But... I am more concerned about those retail games which come with forced steam install. Those games should not be ruined with steam-crap.

Antabus said:
ssj12 said:
Antabus said:

Except it is not illegal in UK, Spain or France. In fact it is not illegal anywhere in EU.

EULA=/=law. If EULA contradicts the law (which it does in EU), it is void. Even if it did not contradict the law, it would be good only if it was 1) in the persons native language 2) agreed on before the purchase. You could read those links I posted. The ones in german.

EU, Russia and Japan are a much bigger "consumer base" than USA. Not a "small percentage".

Yes, I have a problem with that I can't sell my steam games. No, I am not going to make a lawsuit about it. For those games bought on retail and which force you to install steam: There is no need to make a case, it has been made clear by few court verdicts that consumer has the right to sell their used games.

I am not mad about those things, what annoys me is your attitude. You come and claim your superior knowledge against someone who actually might know how it is here. Call him a criminal and uninformed.

There is a massive reason Steam doesn't allow for a resell market. Steam digitally registers a game's CD key to the servers of different game manufacturers just like what you do with a CD key pasted on the manual of a retail copy of your favorite multiplayer game. Just like retail PC games, unless you take the time to release your CD key through the manufacturer of the game, even if you resell it, the CD key is still registered and in your ownership. So pretty much the person buying your game would have to buy a brand new CD key if they want to play a multiplayer game online due to the need to register a new account with an unused CD key.

With Steam, there is no process available or coded to effectively handly digital registered CD keys. Truthfully its probably impossible since Valve and Steam should loses control over your CD key to the publisher after digital registration. All stats and all that are tracked through code in Steamworks. 

CD keys do two main things. It protects the publisher/developer's property from piracy, and it allows for digital account tracking for stats, achievements, etc.

I don't believe for a second that it would be difficult to transfer the license to another user.

But... I am more concerned about those retail games which come with forced steam install. Those games should not be ruined with steam-crap.

You can choose not to purchase those games. But if game makers have no way of protecting investment or making money they will just stop making games. You can complain about DRM all you want but the only difference you can make is with your purchase choices. Unfortunatly for you most people seem to prefer steam over retail so it looks like it is going to win out and games will come with steamworks until something better comes along. Would you rather the games not come at all?