By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says, after PS3 "actual innovation" is next

PS-She said:
NJ5 said:
kirby007 said:
NJ5 said:
At this point, I'd be more worried about whether they'll have money to make the PS4 or not, given that they don't expect profitability until 2009 (which could also mean it will come later or not at all, since we know they're pretty optimistic with their forecasts in general).

If they do make a PS4, it's going to be far less ambitious than the PS3 in terms of hardware power, they can't afford to lose billions of dollars on every console they launch.

sony has other divisions, right?

That doesn't mean they want to waste money on the gaming division. They need to plan for profitability.

If their games division can continue to give BluRay an advantage in the format war, I think the end result will justify the losses.

Excellent point.

Around the Network

You've completely misunderstood what he is talking about. He is not talking about after the PS3 at all, he talks mostly about the future of the PSN.

eugene said:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/stringer-says-actual-innovation-is-next-332314.php

Sony CEO Howard Stringer gave a press conference today in Tokyo. He said that the PS3 is on the rebound with strong Black Friday sales in the US and the console outselling the Wii in Japan. Now that Sony is on the upswing, String hinted at what's next: "The next cycle is actual innovation," Stringer said. Perhaps this quote was taken out of context, but what does that mean the last cycle was? Farting around? Still, we'd really like to see a full transcript (hasn't popped up online as of posting), because that's an odd thing to say!

Regarding that next cycle, Sony plans to expand the PlayStation Network, which is now used for downloading games and demos. Stringer did not give details or any word as to when this expansion will happen. Just know: It will. One day

Farting around?  Well, I've read some articles in the Wall Street Journal about Sony's strategy for the PS3, and some japanese exec said that the first year was going to be focused on the launch and the second year of the PS3's exsistence should be focused on Sony getting all of what the PS3 is capable of, which I took to mean that they would add on more features.  Sure enough, they've improved the PSN, and the Home component, and will be launching a video download service, as well as making the PS3 a TIVO.  Stringer has also commented that he was thinking about the possibility of getting the PS3 into 3-D gaming, not like a 3-D game like tekken but to have some kind of visual depth put in like a 3-D movie or something.  Basically, he is trying to improve the numerator component of the value/cost ratio for the PS3 consumer by adding on more whiz-bang features, but we'll just have to see if they amount to much of anything no matter how "innovative" they are. 

But, I do agree that Sony seems to get things done awfully slow but perhaps that is a japanese cultural trait of getting things done right the first time versus america's more time-centric orientation.  I dunno.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Words Of Wisdom said:
I think the more important thing to notice is that they are currently planning for something after the PS3.

You think Nintendo and MS aren't planning their successors as we speak?  Or did I misinterpret your meaning?

The further emphasis of online for PS4 is going to make microsoft even keener to avoid sony domination.

I'd have thought it would make microsoft even keener to win market share this generation too, possibly more willing to make further losses.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I think the more important thing to notice is that they are currently planning for something after the PS3.

You think Nintendo and MS aren't planning their successors as we speak? Or did I misinterpret your meaning?

There's been a lot of speculation regarding whether or not Sony will make a PS4 based upon the financial difficulties the PS3 has faced this past year. I don't know that the statement if confirms the PS4 or PSP2 or what, but it sounds like Sony is planning to stay in the video game market.

That probably sounds a little silly in the sense that "Of course they're going to stay, how could you think otherwise?" but I, personally, was unsure if that's what they would do.  Not that this really hard confirms it or anything.

They aren't talking about the PS4 yet, i mean the PS3 is supposed to last at least 8 or so years. I doubt that Sony even has a team gathered for even the begenning stages of planning for the PS4 yet. The "next cycle" means the next add-on of features whether usefull or useless as judged by the consumer.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

ProfDallas said:
They aren't talking about the PS4 yet, i mean the PS3 is supposed to last at least 8 or so years. I doubt that Sony even has a team gathered for even the begenning stages of planning for the PS4 yet. The "next cycle" means the next add-on of features whether usefull or useless as judged by the consumer.

Maybe.

ProfDallas said:

I think we'll see PS4 by 2012 personally, if their cycles between PS and PS2 and PS2 and PS3 show us anything, at least.

this has nothing to do with ps4 in any way. did any of you actually read the article. hes saying after the recent upswing in ps3 sales they can begin real innovation with the ps3. its the transition.from.the save the ps3 phase to the amaze people with.the.ps3 phase.

this is what you get for listemin to that eugene kid lol