By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you agree with Pachter on Wii HD?

Alright today GameTrailers released a show, this show is going to grade Nintendo , Microsoft and Sony on their years performance. Now I know how much we on the Wii boards love Michael Pachter, so I thought I would discuss something he was very adament about.

Wii HD, but this isn't the same old crap about how Wii HD is coming next month as he says it should. Not even talking about how in this very show he says WiiHD will come next year. The thing I want to discuss here is do you think a Wii HD is enough?

Michael Pachter talks about how he believes Iwata thinks he's Steve Jobs. He talks about how Iwata says the next Nintendo console has to be revolutionary and different. Michael Pachter thinks that Nintendo's next console should just be an HD version of the Wii. He has a bit of a debate with N'Gai Croal who says Nintendo needs to innovate while Michael insists Nintendo doesn't need to do anything but release a Wii HD.

Pachter says that all Nintendo needs is ports of Call Of Duty games and other third party titles currently on the PS3/360 to survive. He says they don't need to innovate or add anything to make the content unique or special consumers just want their HD games.

So do you agree with Mr.Pachter? Is HD really enough to warrant a new console? Would you go buy a Wii HD with as Pachter says 360/PS3 graphics? Do you think a majority of Wii owners would be willing to upgrade just for graphics? or do you think Nintendo needs to innovate and Pachter is loosing his mind?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I agree with him. The wii is slowing down the HD train.

I would not buy an HD Wii.  As is there are great first party games and a few great third party games.  That is all I really need.  Nintendo should wait until winter 2012, otherwise I'm smelling sega saturn all over again.   

Making a WiiHD is counterproductive for Nintendo.  If they make such a system, who would buy it?  The gamers they are missing have chosen the PS3 or 360 over the Wii; if Nintendo makes a WiiHD, then third parties will use it as a third system to port their games to, so we end up with the same games on three platforms, and any gamers who have a PS3 or 360 will just ignore it since they have those games on a system they already have.

If Nintendo is going to make a new console, it has to be something that will convince gamers and third parties to say "screw the PS3/360, I'm going with Nintendo".

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

The thing with the HD Wii is that at this point it'll be the weakest console for any big game from 3d parties. Imagine if Nintendo releases a console with the same power of the PS3 or 360, games like Call od Duty'll have a huge difference in the PS3 and 360 because that audience is at those systems. Whatever is ding Nintendo at its bunker must capture both audiences.

Around the Network

Some people would rather shoot their own foot than agree with Patcher!

SuperAdrianK said:

Now the real question is, are you one of those people?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Well, no. I don't think the Wii concept could compete on the same terms, that's the whole point of the machine to begin with.

Joelcool7 said:
SuperAdrianK said:

Now the real question is, are you one of those people?

No, all it does is hurts the wii and will mostly have a really small userbase compared to xbox360/ Ps3. It would justify developers, publishers, and invenstors about not porting their games to that platform.

I don't agree with Pachter about that one.

Anyone who does agree probably also want to see Nintendo out of the business.

I LOVE ICELAND!