By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Japanese gaming industry in crisis? (BBC article)

hikaruchan said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Other than the whole annoying teenage feminine protagonist the problem with Japanese games is that

once you basicly play one.... you played em all!!

That is pretty Raciest dude Just because YOU don't like Anime style Games dose not the Japanese should stop making them to please some western Gamers. those Games are made to appeal to the Japanese and Western Gamers who prefer Japanese style Games.

I actually love the creative art style of anime .....but what I find disturbing sometimes is when the only way I can tell if its a man or a female is by the voice, why cant they just keep it black or white(or so to speak) with genders??

Around the Network

I blame Sony.....you see what happens when you're not leading the Market Sony? Japan is doomed

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

inalEvangelion said:
hikaruchan said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Other than the whole annoying teenage feminine protagonist the problem with Japanese games is that

That is pretty Raciest dude Just because YOU don't like Anime style Games dose not the Japanese should stop making them to please some western Gamers. those Games are made to appeal to the Japanese and Western Gamers who prefer Japanese style Games.

The "guys look like girls" argument always comes up when talking about Japanese games.  I don't know why some people just can't accept the difference in culture.  I'm just glad the girls still look like girls in those games.  If girls looked liked guys, I would admit I wouldn't like it so much.

ShadowSoldier said:

I blame Sony.....you see what happens when you're not leading the Market Sony? Japan is doomed

Was Japan really doomed in the 8 and 16bit eras? 

Lyrikalstylez said:
hikaruchan said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

I actually love the creative art style of anime .....but what I find disturbing sometimes is when the only way I can tell if its a man or a female is by the voice, why cant they just keep it black or white(or so to speak) with genders??

Because bishonen (beautiful male Characters) and bishojo (beautiful Female Characters) are a big part of Japanese Manga/Anime Culture. EG MGS2 RAIDEN is a bishonen character crated after Kojima conducted a survey of Japanese Teenage Girls about what would make them more interested in the MGS Games RAIDEN also helped MGS sell better in Japan generally amongst a wider audience then before.       

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network
reaver_x said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said

for japanese games to come back to their glory days,PS4 needs to good seller which it will be and the japanese gaming industry will improve next gen.

No. It doesn't matter how PS4 does.

Western audiences aren't gonna give a shit about Japanese games until they get better. Or atleast get at par with western games.

but when the japanese games don't have platform then how will they be better

the 360 went western from the start so japanese games just didn't get their platform

and till the time PS3 came back,the industrywide choice had changed

when this gen started,the western games weren't on par and they improved and people liked them,this is the same with what will be japanese's games case when next gen starts

so japanese games need a platform for them from the sstart and then build on it

actually they already have a platfrom on the DS and PSP this gen.  And considering handhelds are more domiante in japan right now than consoles, i expect them to transition to the 3DS and not a PS4 when that releaeses

we are talking about the console side

yeah DS was a platform but that isn't the same with what earlier consoles were

so it would be better if they have a platform on both handhelds and consoles

Solid_Snake4RD said:
reaver_x said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Solid_Snake4RD said

for japanese games to come back to their glory days,PS4 needs to good seller which it will be and the japanese gaming industry will improve next gen.

No. It doesn't matter how PS4 does.

Western audiences aren't gonna give a shit about Japanese games until they get better. Or atleast get at par with western games.

but when the japanese games don't have platform then how will they be better

the 360 went western from the start so japanese games just didn't get their platform

and till the time PS3 came back,the industrywide choice had changed

when this gen started,the western games weren't on par and they improved and people liked them,this is the same with what will be japanese's games case when next gen starts

so japanese games need a platform for them from the sstart and then build on it

actually they already have a platfrom on the DS and PSP this gen.  And considering handhelds are more domiante in japan right now than consoles, i expect them to transition to the 3DS and not a PS4 when that releaeses

we are talking about the console side

yeah DS was a platform but that isn't the same with what earlier consoles were

so it would be better if they have a platform on both handhelds and consoles

The only reason Japan "didn't have a platform" in terms of home consoles is because they failed to support the one platform they really could've made some competitive success on: Wii.  Lower technology costs, weaker western support, biggest worldwide userbase... if Japanese devs had treated Wii like they did PS2 (100% support from day one) or at least like they did DS (shift over support after it's massive success) then they'd be in a whole lot better shape today.  Where they faltered was in going HD, supporting 360 upfront while planning to jump to PS3 later, then going to HD-multi when PS3 failed to sell as expected.

jarrod said:

The only reason Japan "didn't have a platform" in terms of home consoles is because they failed to support the one platform they really could've made some competitive success on: Wii.  

I would say the problem was from both sides

the wii as a ninty console had ninty games and were made to like a particular kind of games

wii wasn't an hd and wasn't seen as a success,they were hoping for PS3 but that was expensive

the ninty fanbase just doesn't acceot thid party games

the wii userbase wasn't the normal gamer crowd usual devs couldn't make games for them

Lower technology costs, weaker western support, biggest worldwide userbase... if Japanese devs had treated Wii like they did PS2 (100% support from day one) or at least like they did DS (shift over support after it's massive success) then they'd be in a whole lot better shape today.  Where they faltered was in going HD, supporting 360 upfront while planning to jump to PS3 later, then going to HD-multi when PS3 failed to sell as expected.

lower tech costs but the normal games would never sell on wii as wii sold to that kind of crowd

weaker western support,this was good but ninty's userbase like ninty games only and even japanese third party didn't support from the start

expected wii not to be a success as PS3 was on everybody's radar

i don't think DS should be compared to the console market which had totally different market and brand popularity

the 360 support was bad as 360 was actually going against japanese development with pushing western

they should have stuck with the wii and ps3

next gen and wii 2 and PS4 is what they need to support.

Wii has still sold more 3rd party software than PS3 though.  The idea that owners of Nintendo systems only buy Nintendo software has been a self-fullfilling prophecy this generation.  Indeed early on there were signs for a very healthy core market (RE4/UC shattering expectations, DQ Swords selling like a PS2 spinoff, COD3 Wii outselling the PS3 version, etc, etc), but through misconception and mismanagement 3rd parties pretty much ensured the Wii market would turn into exactly what they feared it always was; a wasteland for anyone but Nintendo. They did that by treating it like a 3rd wheel, giving it 2nd/3rd tier support, and just generally neglecting it; and now it's audience apathetically treats them the same way.  When Nintendo's literally the only company delivering consistent quality on the platform, is it really that big a surprise when they're the only company reaping a consistent reward?

Nevermind that the idea falls flat when you look at any Nintendo system with great 3rd party support.  There's a reason NES, SNES and DS managed what Wii seemingly can't, and 3rd parties have no one to blame but themselves for that.

Next gen, 3rd parties need to support the market leader, no matter who it is (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft... hell, even Apple).  If they'd just done that this generation, they'd be in a much better position right now...

Antabus said:
inalEvangelion said:
hikaruchan said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

The "guys look like girls" argument always comes up when talking about Japanese games.  I don't know why some people just can't accept the difference in culture.  I'm just glad the girls still look like girls in those games.  If girls looked liked guys, I would admit I wouldn't like it so much.

You have made it very clear that you don't like JRPGs so stop trolling them!!!

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku