By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Japanese gaming industry in crisis? (BBC article)

Lyrikalstylez said:

Other than the whole annoying teenage feminine protagonist the problem with Japanese games is that

once you basicly play one.... you played em all!!

Same could be said about American FPSs and their shaved bear protagonists on steroids.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Severance said:

Inafune is blaming his recent mediocre games on others in the japanese industry , he keep on making these mediocre western-wannabe games while other great developers keep on being great.

Agreed

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Well the japanese gaming market imo has fragmented and i do think there is one console to blame. And that is microsoft and their xbox 360! I  know u guys might be thinking this is some kind of fanboy rant to something but it really isn't. Think about it. Xbox 360 was released 1 year before the competition in japan. I guess japanese devs had a choice- start development with the 360 or wait for the PS3. I guess most decided to start making games for the 360 (I dont really blame them though). If there is one thing we learned about japan it is that they don't really like western and Xbox is pretty much the face of western gaming. So why the hell would japanese companies start making a lot of their games exclusive for xbox 360 for 1 year???Correct me if im wrong but japenese games this gen that were exclusive for xbox 360 for about a year in japan were-eternal sonata, star ocean, monster hunter, tales of vesperia, and some others. Square enix single handedly destroyed the entire star ocean franchise by releaseing the final game for the xbox 360 while the 1st 3 were on a playstation platform. What was the point of that? were they insane? So i guess japanese gamers had to decide- support the western xbox 360 or wait for the ps3 which at the time didnt have many games on it because many devs were stupididly were making their games exclusive for xbox 360. I think japanese devs have brought this upon themselves. It is clear now that in order for many japanese devs to be succesful there has to be only one super dominant console like the PS2 was.

i watched this on BBC yesterday and its so true what they said, ''games nowadays are being made for the money and not to be creative''

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

nickvasko said:

i watched this on BBC yesterday and its so true what they said, ''games nowadays are being made for the money and not to be creative''

and that is why Japaense will always be better b/c westerners think with there wallets and not with there hearts

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Other than the whole annoying teenage feminine protagonist the problem with Japanese games is that

Same could be said about American FPSs and their shaved bear protagonists on steroids.

Agreed a lot of Games are generic copy's of other popular Games this Gen no mater were the Games are developed.   

Mr Khan said:
Scoobes said:

As others have pointed out, Japanese publishers are still making more money than the Western publishers. Smaller Japanese devs may be struggling and the perception that the Japanese industry is struggling is more to do with the fact that much of Japanese development has migrated to handhelds. Console (software) sales are down overall but they still manage to make money.

The other issue is that in terms of technology, Japan is very far behind the West. Even the best looking Japanese games are only average on a technical level.

But that also comes into the issue of the West and Japan largely catering to two different segments. The consoles the West has focused on are themselves more technologically advanced, so it makes sense that the West has the edge there because the primary realm they're engaged in is itself more technologically advanced, so they have more expertise there

Someone could point to the grand, technologically ambitious The Old Republic from BioWare, a PC MMO, and compare it to the clumsy FFXIV from Square Enix and talk about Japanese regression, but put BioWare on the DS and you get Sonic Chronicles. Put Square Enix on the DS? You get Dragon Quest IX

It's not just that though. I mean Japanese devs could produce some pretty advanced stuff in the past. I think in recent years and in particularly this gen, PC devs have migrated and brough techniques such as shader effects and normal mapping that Japanese devs don't utilise as well as their Western counterparts. 

I think it's just as much to do with more PC devs moving into the consoles space as it is different design philosophies and market segments.

Lyrikalstylez said:

That is pretty Raciest dude Just because YOU don't like Anime style Games dose not the Japanese should stop making them to please some western Gamers. those Games are made to appeal to the Japanese and Western Gamers who prefer Japanese style Games.

hikaruchan said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

That is pretty Raciest dude Just because YOU don't like Anime style Games dose not the Japanese should stop making them to please some western Gamers. those Games are made to appeal to the Japanese and Western Gamers who prefer Japanese style Games.

The "guys look like girls" argument always comes up when talking about Japanese games.  I don't know why some people just can't accept the difference in culture.  I'm just glad the girls still look like girls in those games.  If girls looked liked guys, I would admit I wouldn't like it so much.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

reaver_x said:
nickvasko said:

and that is why Japaense will always be better b/c westerners think with there wallets and not with there hearts

i totally agree

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E