By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Islam and Christianity are almost the same!

Well I just came back from school and it amazes me how many of my christian friends try to mock the islamic religion even though they don't know anything abou the religion. I am not trying to make a islam vs christianity thread but i just want to point out some key similarities and differences between the two religions. BTW I am a muslim in case you guys want to know what perspective you are getting this from

First:

I hear many people in my school try to joke about "allah" and try to make fun of the word. This is probably the most important point of the thread.

Allah=God . Allah is basically just a translation in arabic of the word god. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe in the same God. Allah is just a translation. Again Allah is just an arabic translation of God.

Second:

The biggest difference between Christianity and Islam is the belief of Jesus and who he was

Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God. Many Christians might assume that if you are not christian you don't believe in Jesus or God.

Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet. Basically Jesus is a messenger of God who came to Earth to spread God's word. Its not like us Muslims disregard Jesus. He is one of the Greatest Prophets of all time and he play a key role in the Islamic religion. He is also suppose to be an important figure in the time when life on earth is suppose to end. In the Quran there is even a chapter in it called Mary which talks about jesus and virgin mary.

I guess that Muslims take the "son of god"  more literally. We believe that to be the son of god that would mean that god had a wife and had a child named Jesus. I don't think christians believe that god had a wife do they? I guess the reason Muslims take it literally because the Quran is actually quite scientific. If you want to know more of the science of quran visit this webiste if you want http://www.quranandscience.com/

Third:

Muslims believe in the Bible and the Torah. Yes, you might not believe it, but there are 4 holy books. Torah, Zabur, Bible, and Quran. We consider these the 4 holy books of islam. 

The reason we don't believe in the current Bible is because Muslims beleive that the Bible has been changed quite a bit throughtout the years by the Pope, priests, etc. So we don't think it is original and has been changed dramatically. Otherwise we do believe in the Bible.

Fourth: Women-

Many people might assume that Muslims treat women as subordinates because we make them veil and cover their body. Quick history lesson- Originally Muslim women did not veil but as the Arab people cotinue to expand they noticed how many high class women covered their heads so that their maids did not see them in the "wrong" way. Arabs adopted because it was like a trend and i guess many Muslim women thought they would be considered high class.

Basically the whole idea of women dressing accordingly is so that a man does not like her for the looks but for her personality.

Fifth:

Muslims do not hate Jews or Christians!

We actually consider them people of the book.

In fact throughtout history (according to world history AP class I am in) Islam showed the most tolerance against other religions. When that arab empire continued to expand they allowed Jews and Christians to continue practicing their faith. In fact in earlier timesafter Mohammad, Muslims did not want to spread their religion but somehow the religion spread anyways.

So i have many Jewish and Christian friends and I hope it remains that way.

Sixth:

Minor differences-

Mulims not allowed to eat pork, alcohol etc.

Muslims, Christians, and Jews all have a fasting period. Ramadan being for the muslims.

Seventh-

Muslims do not encourange killings!

As a proud Muslim I can say that nowhere in the Quran does it say to kill a person. You will severely punished if you do. I guess the the terrorists (who think they are Musim) were just brainwashed like many Nazis were in the holocaust.

Eigth-

Quoted by a fellow vgchartz user named Cirio

"Most ignorant non-muslims who only hear the headlines of the news poke fun at Islam because they think the Quran teaches violence and their basis of this argument is Jihad. The term Jihad literally means "to strive for" and it is a duty for every Muslim man and woman to accomplish. Jihad can simply be a husband or wife going to work and earning money to pay for his/her family or of a man/woman taking care of their children and parents.

The "territorial" usage of Jihad is of a Muslim providing assistance for another Muslim country when they are being invaded or attacked by another nation (which would be by a non-muslim nation). People often use this meaning of Jihad to say the Quran teaches violence by probing Muslims to attack (which isn't true), and unfortunately, the terrorists also use this meaning as a support for their actions of violence. A proper and right example of "territorial" Jihad was during the Cold War when the USSR had taken control over Afghanistan. Osama Bin Ladin, along with other Arabs, traveled to Afghanistan and worked WITH the US to help defeat the Soviets in Afghanistan and to drive them out of the Muslim nation. THAT is an example of Jihad. Not the stupid BS reasons Al Qaeda used to attack the US or the reasons the ignorant person believes the Quran teaches violence."

So again there are not a lot of differences between the two religions. I just wanted to make this thread to give some knowledge. I did not make this thread to argue which religion is right or not. Please give your thoughts and opinions

And please no comments saying that religion causes fighting or whatever.

Around the Network

wow! i did not expect it to turn out this long. i dont expect many people to read it all but try anyways please!

Its the very few Muslims who are terrorists (blow up planes, car bombs, etc) that ruin the image of Islam for the rest of them.

I don't hate Islam, but I certainly do hate the terrorists that are Muslim.

Xbox Live: FPSJohnFKennedy

I am Chrisitan, Eastern Orthidox to be precise. 

I think it's stupid when people make fun of Jews and Muslims. Judaism, Christianity, Islam are all sister religions. 

I don't like it when people make fun of Allah (especially when it's a cocky Christian) because all they are doing is making of fun of god.

But whatever as long as there will be people, there will be stupid people.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

I agree with you, and I hope this doesn't turn in yet another religion hate thread.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

I'm surprised, the majority of people (even those that call themselves religious) don't know anything about their religion and couldn't defend it in a coherent manner to save their lives.

I'm glad there are a few knowledgeable people on these boards.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

They are both works of fiction, believed by billions of ignorant people as a means of explaining/justifying their existence. That is their fundamental similarity. The differences are endless. Compare Jesus to Mohammed. One a peaceful man who spent his life teaching others to love their neighbour and turn the other cheek; the other a mass murdering paedophile (yes, he married a 6 year old - Aisha).

Another thing you should address is the term "Jihad". Most ignorant non-muslims who only hear the headlines of the news poke fun at Islam because they think the Quran teaches violence and their basis of this argument is Jihad. The term Jihad literally means "to strive for" and it is a duty for every Muslim man and woman to accomplish. Jihad can simply be a husband or wife going to work and earning money to pay for his/her family or of a man/woman taking care of their children and parents.

The "territorial" usage of Jihad is of a Muslim providing assistance for another Muslim country when they are being invaded or attacked by another nation (which would be by a non-muslim nation). People often use this meaning of Jihad to say the Quran teaches violence by probing Muslims to attack (which isn't true), and unfortunately, the terrorists also use this meaning as a support for their actions of violence. A proper and right example of "territorial" Jihad was during the Cold War when the USSR had taken control over Afghanistan. Osama Bin Ladin, along with other Arabs, traveled to Afghanistan and worked WITH the US to help defeat the Soviets in Afghanistan and to drive them out of the Muslim nation. THAT is an example of Jihad. Not the stupid BS reasons Al Qaeda used to attack the US or the reasons the ignorant person believes the Quran teaches violence.

Boxed_Echidna said:

They are both works of fiction, believed by billions of ignorant people as a means of explaining/justifying their existence. That is their fundamental similarity. The differences are endless. Compare Jesus to Mohammed. One a peaceful man who spent his life teaching others to love their neighbour and turn the other cheek; the other a mass murdering paedophile (yes, he married a 6 year old - Aisha).

Please, don't start spewing nonsense. If you are an athiest or an agnostic, then you have every right to be that but please don't go around bashing other religions or calling the people who believe in them "ignorant". And just for your information, Muhammad did not go around "mass murdering" people, nor was he a pedophile. He married Aisha but raised her as his daughter. He never had sex with her or anything. The reason he married her was because of the time where you would gain a territory by marrying the daughter of that territories' ruler. He also married her so that he could teach her the words of God which her young mind would be able to remember long after he is dead so she could teach other people.

Boxed_Echidna said:

this is a type of comment I was trying to avoid in this thread. I do have an argument to go against this but i have a feeling this type of argument will just continue no matter what i say.

GTFO!!