By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Islam and Christianity are almost the same!

HappySqurriel said:

One of the core differences between Islam and Christianity (or Judaism) is how the doctrine is viewed today. For the most part, in Christianity and Judaism there is the belief that the Bible and Torah need to be interpreted and made relevant in modern life, where the Qu'aran and Haddiths are supposed to be taken as the true words of the prophet (and therefore god). While most western born and raised Muslims from middle class backgrounds probably have a view of Islam which is closer to how Christian or Jewish people see their religion, these individuals are a tiny minority of the people who follow Islam; and it would be more appropriate to label these individuals extremists than moderate Muslims due to how they line up with mainstream Islam on a worldwide scale.

A bunch of things wrong with that post. The haddiths are in no way the word of God, they are stories about what prophets and religious leaders did or said in specific situations. Not to mention they are extremely corrupted, any intelligent muslim can tell you that.

Secondly your interpretation of how muslims view the Quran is completely wrong. Even among the very religious there are arguments on the meanings of verses. The majority of muslims understand that we would be foolish to believe that we can understand everything said in the Quran and the meanings of many things are probably beyond the grasp of our understanding.

I don't know where you get your information but I would advise you look somewhere else for an accurate understanding of islam.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:

Well I just came back from school and it amazes me how many of my christian friends try to mock the islamic religion even though they don't know anything abou the religion. I am not trying to make a islam vs christianity thread but i just want to point out some key similarities and differences between the two religions. BTW I am a muslim in case you guys want to know what perspective you are getting this from

First:

I hear many people in my school try to joke about "allah" and try to make fun of the word. This is probably the most important point of the thread.

Allah=God . Allah is basically just a translation in arabic of the word god. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe in the same God. Allah is just a translation. Again Allah is just an arabic translation of God.

Second:

The biggest difference between Christianity and Islam is the belief of Jesus and who he was

Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God. Many Christians might assume that if you are not christian you don't believe in Jesus or God.

Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet. Basically Jesus is a messenger of God who came to Earth to spread God's word. Its not like us Muslims disregard Jesus. He is one of the Greatest Prophets of all time and he play a key role in the Islamic religion. He is also suppose to be an important figure in the time when life on earth is suppose to end. In the Quran there is even a chapter in it called Mary which talks about jesus and virgin mary.

I guess that Muslims take the "son of god"  more literally. We believe that to be the son of god that would mean that god had a wife and had a child named Jesus. I don't think christians believe that god had a wife do they? I guess the reason Muslims take it literally because the Quran is actually quite scientific. If you want to know more of the science of quran visit this webiste if you want http://www.quranandscience.com/

Third:

Muslims believe in the Bible and the Torah. Yes, you might not believe it, but there are 4 holy books. Torah, Zabur, Bible, and Quran. We consider these the 4 holy books of islam. 

The reason we don't believe in the current Bible is because Muslims beleive that the Bible has been changed quite a bit throughtout the years by the Pope, priests, etc. So we don't think it is original and has been changed dramatically. Otherwise we do believe in the Bible.

Fourth: Women-

Many people might assume that Muslims treat women as subordinates because we make them veil and cover their body. Quick history lesson- Originally Muslim women did not veil but as the Arab people cotinue to expand they noticed how many high class women covered their heads so that their maids did not see them in the "wrong" way. Arabs adopted because it was like a trend and i guess many Muslim women thought they would be considered high class.

Basically the whole idea of women dressing accordingly is so that a man does not like her for the looks but for her personality.

Fifth:

Muslims do not hate Jews or Christians!

We actually consider them people of the book.

In fact throughtout history (according to world history AP class I am in) Islam showed the most tolerance against other religions. When that arab empire continued to expand they allowed Jews and Christians to continue practicing their faith. In fact in earlier timesafter Mohammad, Muslims did not want to spread their religion but somehow the religion spread anyways.

So i have many Jewish and Christian friends and I hope it remains that way.

Sixth:

Minor differences-

Mulims not allowed to eat pork, alcohol etc.

Muslims, Christians, and Jews all have a fasting period. Ramadan being for the muslims.

Seventh-

Muslims do not encourange killings!

As a proud Muslim I can say that nowhere in the Quran does it say to kill a person. You will severely punished if you do. I guess the the terrorists (who think they are Musim) were just brainwashed like many Nazis were in the holocaust.

Eigth-

Quoted by a fellow vgchartz user named Cirio

"Most ignorant non-muslims who only hear the headlines of the news poke fun at Islam because they think the Quran teaches violence and their basis of this argument is Jihad. The term Jihad literally means "to strive for" and it is a duty for every Muslim man and woman to accomplish. Jihad can simply be a husband or wife going to work and earning money to pay for his/her family or of a man/woman taking care of their children and parents.

The "territorial" usage of Jihad is of a Muslim providing assistance for another Muslim country when they are being invaded or attacked by another nation (which would be by a non-muslim nation). People often use this meaning of Jihad to say the Quran teaches violence by probing Muslims to attack (which isn't true), and unfortunately, the terrorists also use this meaning as a support for their actions of violence. A proper and right example of "territorial" Jihad was during the Cold War when the USSR had taken control over Afghanistan. Osama Bin Ladin, along with other Arabs, traveled to Afghanistan and worked WITH the US to help defeat the Soviets in Afghanistan and to drive them out of the Muslim nation. THAT is an example of Jihad. Not the stupid BS reasons Al Qaeda used to attack the US or the reasons the ignorant person believes the Quran teaches violence."

So again there are not a lot of differences between the two religions. I just wanted to make this thread to give some knowledge. I did not make this thread to argue which religion is right or not. Please give your thoughts and opinions

And please no comments saying that religion causes fighting or whatever.

i am muslim and i live in dubai god bless you my brother in islam and brother in humanity

Mendicate Bias said:
HappySqurriel said:

One of the core differences between Islam and Christianity (or Judaism) is how the doctrine is viewed today. For the most part, in Christianity and Judaism there is the belief that the Bible and Torah need to be interpreted and made relevant in modern life, where the Qu'aran and Haddiths are supposed to be taken as the true words of the prophet (and therefore god). While most western born and raised Muslims from middle class backgrounds probably have a view of Islam which is closer to how Christian or Jewish people see their religion, these individuals are a tiny minority of the people who follow Islam; and it would be more appropriate to label these individuals extremists than moderate Muslims due to how they line up with mainstream Islam on a worldwide scale.

A bunch of things wrong with that post. The haddiths are in no way the word of God, they are stories about what prophets and religious leaders did or said in specific situations. Not to mention they are extremely corrupted, any intelligent muslim can tell you that.

Secondly your interpretation of how muslims view the Quran is completely wrong. Even among the very religious there are arguments on the meanings of verses. The majority of muslims understand that we would be foolish to believe that we can understand everything said in the Quran and the meanings of many things are probably beyond the grasp of our understanding.

I don't know where you get your information but I would advise you look somewhere else for an accurate understanding of islam.

I think the problem is that most people view Islam negatively because of how it is preceived in the media. I wouldn't blame him for his claims because all he (and millions others) probably see is the news is a desert area with sweaty men wearing turbans with big beards and women covering their entire bodies up walking barefoot on sand. Unfortunately, those places shown in the news aren't developed nations and have government corruption plus low education rates. Whenever a society is "pressed in" because of powerful governments and weak education, they tend to turn towards more conservative values and religion as a basis for their daily life. In this case, the view that Muslims only think conservatively and don't question anything written in the Quran is what is perceived through the news. It is the same with other religions such as Latin American Christians in under-developed nations.

I bet most people would be surprised if I showed them how liberal the Muslims in Dubai are, or how the Muslim women there wear low-cut shirts and tight jeans. But the reason for that is because Dubai is a financially stable country with a good education system and a responsive government. Even many parts of Pakistan are like this, but of course, the news will only show the Northwestern regions that border Afghanistan which are fairly deserted areas.

uhhhh....religion threads never go well, but I hope for the best...I suppose

Yes its part of the Judea Christian lineage. I thought this was common knowledge? Of course, one needs only to compare the lives of Jesus and Muhammed to see where the problem lies. 

Hint- Jesus never had anyone executed or had sex with a nine year old

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

skin deep.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Religion breeds slavery.  Slavery of the mind.  No religion fits one person.

God I hope I don't get banned for this.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

arcane_chaos said:

uhhhh....religion threads never go well, but I hope for the best...I suppose

Agreed.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Well written by the OP. I always find like to find insightful information. There are a lot of misconceptions spouted by years of hate. There are extremist factions in many religions. The Christian Bible iterations by no means are not guilty. So I appreciate informative posts. Thanks.

My philosphy. Does the path you walk be it religious or not. Allow you to be open minded and accepting of others? yes. Then others can shut the fuck up. Does your path lead you to being close minded and hating others? yes. Then I have no interest in talking to "you". I suppose what I dislike hearing are the aspects of any religion where information is controlled and selective.

One of the things I have heard are that there are Muslim sects(is that the correct word? Mosques maybe?)  don't let or want non religious people to read the text's. That's where I think(i'm not claiming it) where many of the extremists come from. However then there are those from Waco. This is likely why some agnostic/atheists  are also in the same situation. There is a such a lack of information or selective that often some are just as much as an extremist as any religious group. So I would appreciate that religious people would extend the courtesy to atheist/agnostic that they would have expect in return.

So do I believe in Christianity or the other Muslim books. Not in their words, but in their message. I believe the Prophets had great messages that I wish many would eventually take to heart rather than the words themselves. Words can be twisted by messengers. It is done by religious, non religious and corporate.

If just a few people had some of their mind expanded to take in the larger picture then I think the OP succeeded, but it's a Video Game forum.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

SpartenOmega117 said:

Fourth: Women-

Many people might assume that Muslims treat women as subordinates because we make them veil and cover their body. Quick history lesson- Originally Muslim women did not veil but as the Arab people cotinue to expand they noticed how many high class women covered their heads so that their maids did not see them in the "wrong" way. Arabs adopted because it was like a trend and i guess many Muslim women thought they would be considered high class.

Basically the whole idea of women dressing accordingly is so that a man does not like her for the looks but for her personality.

Why don't men cover up so that women don't like them just for their looks aswell? Women are also sexual animals that have sexual impulses aswell.

Wasn't the Burqa worn by Assyrian upper class women originally?