By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I think I have found a legitimat reason for Sony's overstuffed ship numbers

fallen said:
Pyramid12 said:

Still devastated over the adjustments ehh? still crying "overshipp" when last quarter it was the  same excuse you guys were implying too.

where are those overstock ps3 is going then? why are the retailers keep buging ps3's then?

The data it self came from nintendo GFK chart showing ps3 outselling 360 in EU alone(not including the rest of EMEAA).

Seriously the only sour grapes fans around here are you 360 fanatics with your "sony iz lying" excuses every quarter report comes in.

keep living in 360 lalaland where 360 always wins.

Hmm, what data is that? Hey, check this chart out

Huh, so that's NPD where 360 beat PS3 by quite a lot, Media Creat where PS3 beat 360 of course, but when you combine NPD and Media Creat PS3 is still significantly behind...so we must go to Europe, Hmm, looks like theyre about even! Now what?

I'm afraid I'm not the one avoiding reality here.

I'm not saying retailers are buying PS3's they dont want. There's a lot of lag time, shipping by boat from China to Europe or the USA alone takes 8 weeks I've heard.

For whatever reason it seems historically, Sony starts shipping their holiday stock earlier than MS, some of it in the third quarter. So historically, you end up with a high PS3 number relative to the 4th Q. As the OP laid out.

I agree that the EU is pretty much even. The chart shows this quite well.

NA belongs to Xbox 360 and Japan to PS3. I think everyone of us (including VGC) underestimated the African / Asian / Middle East / South American market. Markets where Sony seems to do well.

The thing that REALLY puzzles me is the Wii shipment being almost on PS2 levels. I thought the Wii would do especially well on these markets because of its lower price than PS3 / Xbox 360. Can anybody give me an example of the market leader suddenly dropping not only to third place but on the level of last gen hardware? The PS2 does not sell well in NA / JP / EU (some stores do not even support it any longer) but it still sell 1.5 million in the regions I mentioned before.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

I agree that the EU is pretty much even. The chart shows this quite well.

NA belongs to Xbox 360 and Japan to PS3. I think everyone of us (including VGC) underestimated the African / Asian / Middle East / South American market. Markets where Sony seems to do well.

The thing that REALLY puzzles me is the Wii shipment being almost on PS2 levels. I thought the Wii would do especially well on these markets because of its lower price than PS3 / Xbox 360. Can anybody give me an example of the market leader suddenly dropping not only to third place but on the level of last gen hardware? The PS2 does not sell well in NA / JP / EU (some stores do not even support it any longer) but it still sell 1.5 million in the regions I mentioned before.

Yeah its because of the smaller countries all adding up to a large sum....also in the last year PS2 has been launched in a few new countries so thats helping it a lot too

and you can bet PS3 will be similarly launched in those smaller countries that PS2 has been launched in in the past year....this is why SONY keeps saying "10 year plan"...they really mean it and an important part of that plan is to make PS2 popular in those smaller countries so that when PS3 is much cheaper, they can sell it to the PS2 owners in those countries.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

DirtyP2002 said:

The thing that REALLY puzzles me is the Wii shipment being almost on PS2 levels.

well, people said the Wii would match the PS2 in sales, no ? :P  sry, I had a clown for breakfast

Still I think Wii should ship in the ballpark of 8plusm this quarter (I think they need 9m shipped to be on track for their 17.5m FY forecast). It seems to be hurting the most in EU, but last week I saw like 10 Wii commercials here in germany although I very rarely watch TV, so I expect it to have very good holiday season sales again.

Why do people assume europe just germany france and spain? Its much much bigger than that. So using that data and extrapilating it for all of europe is probably not accurate.

fallen said:
Pyramid12 said:

Still devastated over the adjustments ehh? still crying "overshipp" when last quarter it was the  same excuse you guys were implying too.

where are those overstock ps3 is going then? why are the retailers keep buging ps3's then?

The data it self came from nintendo GFK chart showing ps3 outselling 360 in EU alone(not including the rest of EMEAA).

Seriously the only sour grapes fans around here are you 360 fanatics with your "sony iz lying" excuses every quarter report comes in.

keep living in 360 lalaland where 360 always wins.

Hmm, what data is that? Hey, check this chart out

Huh, so that's NPD where 360 beat PS3 by quite a lot, Media Creat where PS3 beat 360 of course, but when you combine NPD and Media Creat PS3 is still significantly behind...so we must go to Europe, Hmm, looks like theyre about even! Now what?

I'm afraid I'm not the one avoiding reality here.

I'm not saying retailers are buying PS3's they dont want. There's a lot of lag time, shipping by boat from China to Europe or the USA alone takes 8 weeks I've heard.

For whatever reason it seems historically, Sony starts shipping their holiday stock earlier than MS, some of it in the third quarter. So historically, you end up with a high PS3 number relative to the 4th Q. As the OP laid out.

I'll never understand why people seem so d***!!!!! "Sony starts shipping their holiday stock earlier than MS" WTF does that mean seriously? How many times did we explain the shipping process on this forum? 5? 10 times? And still, there are people like you to come back with alot of bs....

And your example of 8 weeks boat shipping is really... laughable...

Around the Network

I just want to say that adjustments are inevitable and it's good that the site strives to be as accurate as possible.  With that out of the way I have to ask the question; is VGChartz doing the right thing by adjusting sell-through data that they can't possibly track? Is the new methodology: lets get the angry mob off our backs and adjust figures so that sell-through = ~1 million behind shipped?

Explanation is plausible. To add to it PS3 had a  new SKU that isnt just a special edition to add to the mix that they could use to encourage retailers to order extra this past quarter.  The PS3 with Move bundle certainly increased the amount of shipped units.  Sony wont have that this current Qtr, but MS will with the Kinect bundle SKUs.

If the explanation is plausible we will see that this Qtr Sony wont ship nearly as much as MS.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Ok so here it goes

in 2008 Q3, PS3 was selling more than the 360 until the 360 pricecut that came in Q4 where 360 sales edged. Also in Q3 2009, well there was a certain PS3 slim that released u see, that explains shipments of PS3> 360. So no, i dont think sony oivershipped, just aloooot of undertracking here, and i think even future adjustments are necessary.

See alot of things dont add up, like how the PS3 was carrying a huge stride, adn it suddenly faded(even though it had huuuuge Q1/Q2 releases(alot of exclusives too)  like GoW3, FF13(historically big in the PS1 and PS2), Heavy rain, and then move came along in Q3. So really it makes sense that PS3 has been big, especially in europe where it's always been big. 

GodOfWar_3ever said:

@ Michael

PS3 was adjusted up by a million or so for 2 years....so, yeah..its believable

@OP

Last year, Q3, the slim was launched to strong sales. Hence only a 100% increase on Q4.

This year, with Move, and better sales in July and August (last year, PS3 was at a rock bottom during that time due to slim rumors) PS3 shipments have increased YOY by 300k...why is that so hard to believe ?

Well 1 million of those sales were sales from hard to track regions. I don't question that, however 1 million was from this year, specifically the last 3 months, and that I'm not sure about.

I do beleive in this PS3 adjustment, I'm just saying it may be over inflated a bit. It may not be, it's just if they missed such a big boost in the first place, how reliable is the adjustment? Small adjustments are very likely to be accurate, big ones, not always, and in the past VGChartz has often re-adjusted large adjustments such as this. Until March, when the fisical year is over and manufacturers turn in their yearly numbers, we really won't know accurate fall sales.

However, my wording might make it seem like I think the PS3 is WAY too far ahead. Really I think it should be selling in first place, but not by a 25-35% lead over the 360. 10-20% seem more reasonable to me, but I may be wrong, it could be selling 40% better for all I know..

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results