By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I think I have found a legitimat reason for Sony's overstuffed ship numbers

FinalEvangelion said:

Don't they always say...

"What goes around, comes around."

Just imagine the meltdowns after $199 ps3 drops.

EPICNESS TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

Around the Network
Pyramid12 said:

Still devastated over the adjustments ehh? still crying "overshipp" when last quarter it was the  same excuse you guys were implying too.

where are those overstock ps3 is going then? why are the retailers keep buging ps3's then?

The data it self came from nintendo GFK chart showing ps3 outselling 360 in EU alone(not including the rest of EMEAA).

Seriously the only sour grapes fans around here are you 360 fanatics with your "sony iz lying" excuses every quarter report comes in.

keep living in 360 lalaland where 360 always wins.

Hmm, what data is that? Hey, check this chart out

Huh, so that's NPD where 360 beat PS3 by quite a lot, Media Creat where PS3 beat 360 of course, but when you combine NPD and Media Creat PS3 is still significantly behind...so we must go to Europe, Hmm, looks like theyre about even! Now what?

I'm afraid I'm not the one avoiding reality here.

I'm not saying retailers are buying PS3's they dont want. There's a lot of lag time, shipping by boat from China to Europe or the USA alone takes 8 weeks I've heard.

For whatever reason it seems historically, Sony starts shipping their holiday stock earlier than MS, some of it in the third quarter. So historically, you end up with a high PS3 number relative to the 4th Q. As the OP laid out.

Pyramid12 said:
FinalEvangelion said:

Don't they always say...

Do you have time to wait til 2014? LOL just kidding, sort of.

fallen said:
Pyramid12 said:

Still devastated over the adjustments ehh? still crying "overshipp" when last quarter it was the  same excuse you guys were implying too.

where are those overstock ps3 is going then? why are the retailers keep buging ps3's then?

The data it self came from nintendo GFK chart showing ps3 outselling 360 in EU alone(not including the rest of EMEAA).

Seriously the only sour grapes fans around here are you 360 fanatics with your "sony iz lying" excuses every quarter report comes in.

keep living in 360 lalaland where 360 always wins.

Hmm, what data is that? Hey, check this chart out

Huh, so that's NPD where 360 beat PS3 by quite a lot, Media Creat where PS3 beat 360 of course, but when you combine NPD and Media Creat PS3 is still significantly behind...so we must go to Europe, Hmm, looks like theyre about even! Now what?

I'm afraid I'm not the one avoiding reality here.

I'm not saying retailers are buying PS3's they dont want. There's a lot of lag time, shipping by boat from China to Europe or the USA alone takes 8 weeks I've heard.

For whatever reason it seems historically, Sony starts shipping their holiday stock earlier than MS, some of it in the third quarter. So historically, you end up with a high PS3 number relative to the 4th Q. As the OP laid out.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3718794

To be honest I'm still shocked at this massive sales adjustment, for a couple legitamate reasons.

1. Did Move really push that many consoles? Really? Move? Does that mean Kinect will do the same for 360? Really? Is motion gaming really that atttractive? Really? Seriously? A Wand with a glowing ball on the end and no good supporting games (except RE5).

2. This is a massive sales adjustment, and Sony has seen 3 sales adjustments in the last couple months. I'm sure the PS3 is outselling the 360, but did VGCharts honestly miss 1 million console sales? I understand some data is from smaller, more rural middle east and african regions, but Move has only sold 500 units, it's hard to beleive that it's responsible for a 60-100k weekly sales jump.

So I'm going to give it a couple weeks and wait for Kinect data to come in. If Kinect also posts ridiculous boosts in sales, then sadly, I guess this Move boost is real. If it doesn't, then I would question the reliability of this data.

I mean in January 2010 PS3 was ahead of 360 in EMEAA, then it didn't surpass the 360 in EMEAA for another 4 months, then recently 360 came within 45k of surpassing PS3 in EMEAA, and then now it's all of a sudden over 1 million sales behind?? Something is up, but PS3 probably did have a strong fall.

To be honest, I still don't see the PS3 meeting that 15 million fisical year goal. This data may be smudged by Sony to hold reputation (e.g. 15 million shipped, 12 million sold).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
fallen said:
Pyramid12 said:
FinalEvangelion said:

Don't they always say...

Do you have time to wait til 2014? LOL just kidding, sort of.

question is would you still be here posting when $199 ps3 drops and starts outselling 360????

right now seem that you can't even handle how things are going so I can't even imagine that you can take seeing PS3 outsell 360 massively when $199 ps3 arrives.

@ Michael

PS3 was adjusted up by a million or so for 2 years....so, yeah..its believable

@OP

Last year, Q3, the slim was launched to strong sales. Hence only a 100% increase on Q4.

This year, with Move, and better sales in July and August (last year, PS3 was at a rock bottom during that time due to slim rumors) PS3 shipments have increased YOY by 300k...why is that so hard to believe ?

Isn't this an orangutang. Though it makes your joke better because I think they are stupider than chimpanzees.

So the first year of that data, the PS3 only just outsold the Xbox, so any accusation of channel stuffing there is meaningless

The second year of that data, we had the PS3 Slim, which is why sales went through the roof

Also, it's not like Sony is being outshipped very much, over the whole year Sony shipped more last time and the same is true here, so the chances are PS3 is winning

Last year, sony had shortages as they could not meet demand. This time around, sony would like to have the ps3 available soo that consumers can find it any time.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies