By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect Cameras Ship 14 Million Units

Taiwan-based optical lens maker Newmax Technology has become the only supplier of camera modules used in Microsoft Kinect sensors and will ship as many as 14 million units of these modules in 2010, according to industry sources.

Newmax's third-quarter revenues amounted to NT$687 million (US$22 million), of which 50-55% came from Kinect camera modules, the sources said.

Due to booming pre-orders for Kinect, Newmax has received additional orders for the camera modules, with some of the shipments scheduled for December 2010 or January 2011, the sources indicated.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20101028PD206.html

I lold

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

14 Million?

14... Million?

Oh my god.

14 milion ??

Shipped to Microsoft's factories, to be made into Kinects.

Still, mighty impressive.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

So is there one "camera module" in each Kinect or three?

Around the Network

I think Kinect might use 2 cameras, so 7 million is still impressive. But after the past days I don't know what to believe any longer. Every crazy shit seems possible now.

• MS making 7 billion in 90 days (80 million USD profit per day / 3.333 million USD profit per HOUR / 55,555 USD profit per MINUTE / 925 USD profit per SECOND!)
  • Big N shipping 1.9 million Wiis, barely outselling the PS2 (! AS a market leader !)
  • Sony shipping 3.5 million PS3s, without ANY tracking service indicating this.

So I thought why not throwing another unbelievable figure in?

I just saw a link on N4G: It is one camera and one projector for every Kinect. Feel free to interpret this. I can't.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

That would mean that M$ wants to ship how many ? 7 m Kincects ? Now I really don't understand why they stopped taking preorders.

donsterydo2 said:

That would mean that M$ wants to ship how many ? 7 m Kincects ? Now I really don't understand why they stopped taking preorders.

Completely independent of these numbers, bundles.

MSFT rightfully wants to push bundles to people. Lots of Kinect bundles will be available i believe.

MSFT and Greenberg seem pretty clear on the purpose of Kinect and thats expansion, not satisfying the base.

14 million is insane! I'm really excited to see what Kinect will do to the market along with Move. On the one hand, I've always maintained that both would flop but on the other hand; it will be super fun to see what Malstrom has to say about being dead wrong on even more accounts!

14 million? Damn that should boost 360 HW nicely over the next few months and get some of that momentum that Move has gathered.

It's just that simple.