By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect Cameras Ship 14 Million Units

drkohler said:
Booh! said:

14 millions lenses seem a lot, but IR sensors have lenses too. There are 3 lenses per kinect, so 14 millions lenses are enough to produce just ~4.5 millions kinect.

One rgb camera one ir camera = 2 plastic lenses per Kinect.....

I thought they were 3, one rgb camera, one monochrome camera (depth sensor), one IR sensor:

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

14M /3 = 4.66M which goes perfectly with what MS executives have said about 3M being their target.

I'm confused...how many lens' are there in a Kinect device?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
Squilliam said:

14M /3 = 4.66M which goes perfectly with what MS executives have said about 3M being their target.

2 or 3. But im being conservative here.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
huaxiong90 said:
Squilliam said:

2 or 3. But im being conservative here.

Yeah, it would make most sense if it were 3 since it would be close to Microsoft's target.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Ahh ok, seems like 3 cameras per device. Still a large number of Kinects but seems reasonable.

When I saw 14M I was really rather suprised I'll admit.

Around the Network
Booh! said:
drkohler said:
Booh! said:

14 millions lenses seem a lot, but IR sensors have lenses too. There are 3 lenses per kinect, so 14 millions lenses are enough to produce just ~4.5 millions kinect.

One rgb camera one ir camera = 2 plastic lenses per Kinect.....

I thought they were 3, one rgb camera, one monochrome camera (depth sensor), one IR sensor:

The one on the left is a "simple" ir emitting diode, not a camera. Depending on how the diode is manufactured, it _might_ have associated optics (included), but my guess is the Taiwan company is responsible for the two camera lenses only. 4.5 mio Kinects would be a bit low into February, as Move might have that before year's end.

haxxiy said:

Misleading title. Like the guy above me said, there's two or more camera modules per Kinect unit. Should be 7m or even less. Still an impressive number.

At the same time the article states that they've had to make 2 new orders to ship in December and January so perhaps those additional shipments aren't counted in the 14 million meaning even more!

~4.5 million sounds like MS's estimates, and then the 2 added shipments to account for increased demand.

nightsurge said:
haxxiy said:

Misleading title. Like the guy above me said, there's two or more camera modules per Kinect unit. Should be 7m or even less. Still an impressive number.

At the same time the article states that they've had to make 2 new orders to ship in December and January so perhaps those additional shipments aren't counted in the 14 million meaning even more!

~4.5 million sounds like MS's estimates, and then the 2 added shipments to account for increased demand.

Yes, indeed possible. 4.5m for November to January and then shipping more after that.  

I'm still not so sure MS will manage to sell almost 5m in three months, but since it's holidays it could happen.

I've finally had the pleasure of trying Kinect out and I have to say, this thing is a game changer. It is so damn fun. It is going to have huge sales. You will NOT be able to go into a retail store and just pick one up until at least February or March IMO.

The only thing that can be a problem is if MS doesn't manufacture enough Kinects.

14 or 7 millions is insane. I don't think it will sell that much even in entire lifetime :O