By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii should have had a flood of PS2 ports, but of the great ones.

LordTheNightKnight essentially wants what Sony is doing with the HD collections but on the Wii.

The question is, what can the wii add to these games while retaining the core gameplay/controls intact as to keep the nostalgia, the answer is nothing, well at least nothing meaningful to get people to re-buy games they already own.

Just look at the what Sony is doing with the HD collections, they up the resolution, up the anti-aliasing, stabilise the frame rate, add trophies, and bundle at least 2 games all for a cheap price, this is a really nice bargain and has enough incentive for people who already own the game to buy it again, it's a bargain for those that have missed out on the PS2.

Some may not like to admit it, but many will buy the HD collections for 2 reasons, the collections has trophies and the graphics of their favourite games now look cleaner than before, more so if they have a HDTV.

Just remember that these HD collections only increase the graphics by uping resolution, anti-aliasing, and frame rate, they do not actually modify the original textures. This is why it's cheap, and fast to make these collections with small teams.

Unfortunately the wii would have troubles to trying to implement the same strategy as it would lack enough incentive to make people re-buy these collections. If people want these to work, then Nintendo has to step up and prove to 3rd party that it can work and that money can be made, just as Sony has done with God of War HD collection, which is why now 3rd party are jumping on board.

Trust when I say that most 3rd partied would love to re-sell the old games, more so on the wii since the expectation is lower, so it'll just be as simple as a PS2 port to wii with nothing new, but again Nintendo has to show that it can be done, in my opinion Nintendo should prove it can be done with a non Nintendo franchise, not cuz there games sell regardless, but to prove to 3rd parties that they can sell with non nintendo characters.

Some times the platform holder has to lead the way and show 3rd parties it can be done rather than wait for 3rd to do anything, plus this is something Nintendo can do, just look at the 3DS. I say, if you really want it, then bitch at Nintendo to bring something similar to the Wii, it'll probably be more effective than bitching at 3rd party.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
the_bloodwalker said:

LordTheNightKnight said:

Which is frankly a crime against gaming, to treat 75 million Wii owning households like they don't deserve those classics from last generation.

What was really needed was just one company to put the right games on Wii (not just one), the others would follow

It's not too late. They can still connect with the Wii audience. If they don't, then thinking they can succeed on the next system is a fool's hope. The audience is not stupid enough to just accept companies that basically spat on them, and then are suddenly embracing them just because they bought the "right" system now.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at this notion. If you think there're going to be mass boycotts of high profile 3rd party games on the Nintendo whatever-it's-called just because Wii owners hardly got any this generation, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. Do you really think people hold grudges that long? By this logic, I suppose Portal 2 is an automatic flop on the PS3, right?

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Beuli2 said:
Linkasf said:
djstrykermx said:

I just cannot understand when people say that third parties killed the wii, I mean when the good AAA games come along they DON'T SELL. There are many many examples:

1- No More Heroes 1 & 2

2- MadWorld

3- Red Steel 2

4- Prince of Persia (heard the wii version was really good)

5- Conduit

6- Many Multiplatform titles that simply do not sell on the Wii and sell on the HD consoles.

Then there are also additional ports such as the Resident Evil archives games adapted to the Wii-mote which didn't even chart in this site. 

Nintendo games sell very well on the Nintendo platform, no doubt. Mainly because Nintendo software usually means quality and people are just used to that.

I think it is a smart business decision from developers/publishers to stop supporting the Wii with those types of games, because if they do not get a return on their investment, why should they care? To please fanboys? 

So in the end, to me the blame is on the customers who don't pay for AAA games on the Wii and that have forced the devs/publishers to make those tough decisions of stopping support for the platform all along.

Im sorry but those games are not AAA games. OF all my years playing games, they don't stack up to games i've played 10 years ago. No more heroes lasted for a good time and my bro finished it almost 10 times. I heard Resident evil Archives had issues; so how is this AAA again?

Maybe those are "good games" only according to the internet guys and actually they're bad games no one cares? I don't know how people keep putting Madworld as a good game, I just don't see it.

Exactly. I'm not sure why anyone put MadWorld is an AAA game. I got bored of that game so fast, that I left it unfinished. A good game is supposed to keep a player playing till the end. It failed to do that with me, Not to mention I was almost done with it according to my friends that felt like finishing it (God that game is repetitive and short).

Xxain said:
A_C_E said:

That actually would have been nice. I know there's a couple of big franchises that could have benefited greatly from the Wii's controls early on just as much as RE4. You look at the success of GoW 1 & 2 on PS3 right before the launch of GoW3 and sales were good. Dev's are now following through on the momentum and I can only see good things coming out of it. It not only helps the revenue of said games but also the future titles on the current system.

The dev's and consumers would have won in the end and there would be so much potential for the Wii to have the PS2's Greatest Hits collections sell well.

I think each developer or publisher should begin to incorporate some sort of sub-developer to re-develop games from the previous gen into the current gen. Imagine every single hit game that ever sold over say...half a million units WW got released for the Wii/PS3/360 with gameplay/framerate/graphics all upgraded. Who could honestly complain?

I would takes a waste of resources, instead of taking X game that was cool last gen porting it to current gen...why not just make sequel made using the new console potential?

There needs to be reason to port something....not just something done for the hell of it.

That's why you have sub-developers. Developers would take a couple of months to rehash the games and the company publishing them would make mounds of money off said product due to the fact that it cost practically nothing to make. I'm pretty sure that God of War 1 2 remakes weren't just for the hell of it, lol.

I don't get it . yes some games will be better on wii if the controllers done right , but most don't need that , Another thing I have a WII but I still have my Ps2 and I am sure most people have a Ps2 so why would we need the games to be shifted , yes some people have a Wii and dont have a Ps2 anymore .

Third party didn't accept this consol and they where surprised that it won this home generation , I am sure they awoke from that shock long ago but they couldn't make big progroms for this consol for the excuse of not being HD .

They may still change their approch on the next gen when nintendo's next consol is released but I can't see this happening in this generation

I think mostly we don't need Ps2 games on Wii (Only few will look better , others will be the same)

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:

LordTheNightKnight essentially wants what Sony is doing with the HD collections but on the Wii.

The question is, what can the wii add to these games while retaining the core gameplay/controls intact as to keep the nostalgia, the answer is nothing, well at least nothing meaningful to get people to re-buy games they already own.

Just look at the what Sony is doing with the HD collections, they up the resolution, up the anti-aliasing, stabilise the frame rate, add trophies, and bundle at least 2 games all for a cheap price, this is a really nice bargain and has enough incentive for people who already own the game to buy it again, it's a bargain for those that have missed out on the PS2.

Some may not like to admit it, but many will buy the HD collections for 2 reasons, the collections has trophies and the graphics of their favourite games now look cleaner than before, more so if they have a HDTV.

Just remember that these HD collections only increase the graphics by uping resolution, anti-aliasing, and frame rate, they do not actually modify the original textures. This is why it's cheap, and fast to make these collections with small teams.

Unfortunately the wii would have troubles to trying to implement the same strategy as it would lack enough incentive to make people re-buy these collections. If people want these to work, then Nintendo has to step up and prove to 3rd party that it can work and that money can be made, just as Sony has done with God of War HD collection, which is why now 3rd party are jumping on board.

Trust when I say that most 3rd partied would love to re-sell the old games, more so on the wii since the expectation is lower, so it'll just be as simple as a PS2 port to wii with nothing new, but again Nintendo has to show that it can be done, in my opinion Nintendo should prove it can be done with a non Nintendo franchise, not cuz there games sell regardless, but to prove to 3rd parties that they can sell with non nintendo characters.

Some times the platform holder has to lead the way and show 3rd parties it can be done rather than wait for 3rd to do anything, plus this is something Nintendo can do, just look at the 3DS. I say, if you really want it, then bitch at Nintendo to bring something similar to the Wii, it'll probably be more effective than bitching at 3rd party.

Nice post, and i agree with it completely.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

I said something similar earlier, but DQ VIII isn't ported to the Wii or perhaps the 3DS (when the cards can hold the full game), it's a missed oppotunity.

Before VII, the Playstation had a remake of IV.  Before VIII, the PS2 had a remake of V.  Before IX, the DS had a remake of IV, V and after IX, the DS had a remake of VI.  Following this trend the Wii should have a remake of VII (the first time it will be localised for Europe) or if S-E are feeling lazy just port VIII.

themanwithnoname said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
the_bloodwalker said:

LordTheNightKnight said:

Which is frankly a crime against gaming, to treat 75 million Wii owning households like they don't deserve those classics from last generation.

What was really needed was just one company to put the right games on Wii (not just one), the others would follow

It's not too late. They can still connect with the Wii audience. If they don't, then thinking they can succeed on the next system is a fool's hope. The audience is not stupid enough to just accept companies that basically spat on them, and then are suddenly embracing them just because they bought the "right" system now.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at this notion. If you think there're going to be mass boycotts of high profile 3rd party games on the Nintendo whatever-it's-called just because Wii owners hardly got any this generation, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. Do you really think people hold grudges that long? By this logic, I suppose Portal 2 is an automatic flop on the PS3, right?

That is not what I wrote, and since you response is based on that, it's invalid.

Lack of acceptance is not a boycott

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

"LordTheNightKnight essentially wants what Sony is doing with the HD collections but on the Wii.

The question is, what can the wii add to these games while retaining the core gameplay/controls intact as to keep the nostalgia, the answer is nothing, well at least nothing meaningful to get people to re-buy games they already own."

1. No, that is not what I want.

2. I did not claim that this would be for people who already own the games. In case you didn't notice, every single game on the PS2 is outsold by the PS2 itself by well over 100 million. So even if a Wii owner also owned a PS2, they would be very likely to have not played all of the hit games.

3. You are assuming Wii owners who did not buy a PS2 somehow wouldn't want these games. which ignores there would be former GC owners, Xbox owners, or even gamers who like those games, but started on the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

djstrykermx said:

I just cannot understand when people say that third parties killed the wii, I mean when the good AAA games come along they DON'T SELL. There are many many examples:

1- No More Heroes 1 & 2

2- MadWorld

3- Red Steel 2

4- Prince of Persia (heard the wii version was really good)

5- Conduit

6- Many Multiplatform titles that simply do not sell on the Wii and sell on the HD consoles.

Then there are also additional ports such as the Resident Evil archives games adapted to the Wii-mote which didn't even chart in this site. 

Nintendo games sell very well on the Nintendo platform, no doubt. Mainly because Nintendo software usually means quality and people are just used to that.

I think it is a smart business decision from developers/publishers to stop supporting the Wii with those types of games, because if they do not get a return on their investment, why should they care? To please fanboys? 

So in the end, to me the blame is on the customers who don't pay for AAA games on the Wii and that have forced the devs/publishers to make those tough decisions of stopping support for the platform all along.

The failure for most to recognize what a AAA game actually is continually baffles me.  All these games would've sold worse on 360, or PS3, or probably even PS2.  Some did in fact.