Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii should have had a flood of PS2 ports, but of the great ones.

I'm still surprised the JP studios didn't engage in some heavy PS2 porting... hell, even GC ports/upgrades are pretty scarce and they'd be almost no cost to produce.  Where the hell is my Viewtiful Joe Collection Capcom?

I also think JP devs not approaching Wii/PSP as a unified development platform (similar to 360/PS3) was a huge missed opportunity.  I think such a move really would've gone a long way to helping on bombs on both sides of the fence (Arc Rise Fantasia, MGS Peace Walker, etc) by allowing them to target PSP (which sells games) in Japan and Wii (which sells games) everywhere else.



Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Doobie_wop said:

Most people have a PS2 to play PS2 games. I agree with Seece, HD collections seem to do well on the HD consoles, so it's more financially viable to port HD PS2 games to the 360 and PS3. I don't see why any effort should be made to support the Wii, it's obviously not a Third Party selling platform and neither Nintendo or the large publishers feel that it's worth bothering with. 


"seem to do well" isn't proof, especially when about there is only HD collection released so far, and that was of two hit games. That still just proves that his games make hit ports, which I was not denying would happen on the other systems. All you have is the same third party lie about the Wii that they just use BS support to try to prove.

but that's just it, you think those HD collections would do anywhere near what they sold if they weren't "HD", porting a games from ps2 to wii would a be a waste of time and resources, the games would sell near what they did on the ps2 and it wouldn't make sense for anyone to buy an expensive version of a game that is dirt cheap for another console, that's part of the reason the ps2 since the release of the next gen consoles have done so well. I think the same will happen with the ps3 next gen, ala $99 with no game costing more than 20 bucks in developing markets



"Until I see Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games on a Microsoft or Sony console, I have to vehemently, vehemently disagree that the Wii should get the Sony defining 3rd party titles from the PS1 and PS2 eras."

Bull. You can't use first party games to disprove the fairness of third party games. That would only apply to Sony's first (or second party) games, like God of War, Killzone, Gran Turismo, and Naughty Dog's and Insomniac's post PS1 games.

So far, the most common argument is the same crap about third parties not selling, with the same spun evidence.



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Here's my list of games that I believe are a missed opportunity

  • Black
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Kingdom Hearts I and II
  • Final Fantasy X and XII (even though I don't like the games I acknowledge they would sell well)
  • Xenosaga series
  • Katamary Damacy
That't it for now... need to remember


the_bloodwalker said:

Here's my list of games that I believe are a missed opportunity

 

  • Black
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Kingdom Hearts I and II
  • Final Fantasy X and XII (even though I don't like the games I acknowledge they would sell well)
  • Xenosaga series
  • Katamary Damacy
That't it for now... need to remember


Not sure about Xenosaga, since sales weren't that strong on the PS2, but a trilogy pack might be nice.

Katamari could also work by using the tilt on the Wiimote (aside from the GC and CC options of course), since that seems to be the most accurate motion sensing the standard wiimote has (see the maze ball game in the first Raving Rabbids).



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Xxain said:
patjuan32 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
patjuan32 said:

Yes, Wii owners care about online, just look at the sales of Mario Kart and the Call of Duty games. Heck, the Conduit would have sold more if it did not suffer from online problems. Yes, Wii owners do care about online and that's why NBA Jam will not sell  as well as it could have.


Um, Mario Kart aslo has local, and CoD sold far less than the HD versions that have local.

So those are not good pieces of evidence that Wii owners care about online to the point of not buying games without it.

Plus NBA Jam has almost no marketing, so you can't just assume lack of online is affecting sales when that factor has to be taken into account.

Mario Kart also has online as well. We can not just ignore that fact. Call of Duty games are advertised for the HD consoles, have download content, and voice chat. The Wii games do not have advertising, No download content, and do not feature voice chat. Furthermore, Call of Duty 4 skipped the Wii and that affected the Call of Duty fanbase on the Wii. The port came two years later and still sold over a million copies. My evidence still stands. Wii owners do care about online.


................ I hope your not saying that online played a hand in Mario Karts success? It would have the same exact numbers that it does today without it. Nothing in your post points to Online being essential in Wii development.

As I have already stated, Wii gamers care about online games and the games I listed proved that. All you did was state that Mario Kart would have sold over 20 million units with out online. Yet Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, nor Mario Kart: Double Dash, which all had local Multiplayer, sold over 10 million units. Therefore to say that Mario Kart would have sold over 20 million units any way is supposition. You need concrete proof to prove that having online gameplay did not help Mario Kart to reach it's sales.



If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

 

LordTheNightKnight said:
the_bloodwalker said:

Here's my list of games that I believe are a missed opportunity

 

  • Black
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Kingdom Hearts I and II
  • Final Fantasy X and XII (even though I don't like the games I acknowledge they would sell well)
  • Xenosaga series
  • Katamary Damacy
That't it for now... need to remember


Not sure about Xenosaga, since sales weren't that strong on the PS2, but a trilogy pack might be nice.

Katamari could also work by using the tilt on the Wiimote (aside from the GC and CC options of course), since that seems to be the most accurate motion sensing the standard wiimote has (see the maze ball game in the first Raving Rabbids).


I woud have to agree with you on some of the games you've chosen. Kingdome Hearts and the Final Fantasy games would've probably sold very well. But I do see why Square Enix would not do this. Kingdom Hearts I and II would have gamers believing that Kingdom Hearts 3 would be destined for the Wii even though Square has yet to pick a platform. Final Fantasy ports would have Wii owners asking for a main line Final Fantasy game which Square will never deliver on because They support Sony's home console with those games. Finally, the developer/ director of Katamary Damacy said that he would not develop his game based around a controller. This is why the game is not on the Wii. Still, you choices were good. I'd probably pick up Kingdom Hearts I and II and the Xenosaga series because of Monolith and Kosmos.



If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

 

is too late now.porting would not suffice and our visuals standarts have raised so they could only be released at bargain bins. TS looks horrible right now even with its goofy style it looks in 2010 downright disgusting.And Black was a mediocre game with good graphics FOR the ps2, not the wii(looks like downright crap compared to MWR and i cant even picture it against BO), and had no online, more linear than Tc1...I cant even imagine it above 10 dollars.

FFXII and Mg3 would be more interesting, but also bargain bins given their age.And the fact that Last story is coming with 1000 better graphics.



intro94 said:

is too late now.porting would not suffice and our visuals standarts have raised so they could only be released at bargain bins. TS looks horrible right now even with its goofy style it looks in 2010 downright disgusting.And Black was a mediocre game with good graphics FOR the ps2, not the wii(looks like downright crap compared to MWR and i cant even picture it against BO), and had no online, more linear than Tc1...I cant even imagine it above 10 dollars.

FFXII and Mg3 would be more interesting, but also bargain bins given their age.And the fact that Last story is coming with 1000 better graphics.


If you mean release them at low prices, I agree, since the VC showed you can sell older games at lower prices, and RE4 showed that $30 is the ideal maximum price for older games, while Metroid Prime Trilogy showed $50 is not. Heck, even Okami and Chop Till You Drop showed $40 is not.



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Wii doesn't need PS2 ports. Wii need new games like The Last Story, Xenoblade, Little King Story, Muramasa, No More Heroes, Red Steel, The Conduit, The Grinder, Disaster Day of Crisis. But also need games with quality over quantity. :/



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile