By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Best Selling Gran Turismo 939 37.95%

2nd Best Selling Gran Turismo 494 19.97%

3rd Best Selling Gran Turismo 389 15.72%

4th Best Selling Gran Turismo 116 4.69%

The Worst Selling Gran Turismo 536 21.67%

Total:2,474
Jay520 said:
Monges79 said:

Exactly. If anyone has noticed, racing games are not as in demand as they used to be. I'm sure that GT5 is a very good game, but people don't buy racing games like they used to.

Were racing games ever in high demand. If anything, the demand is growing.

Mario Kart Wii is the best selling Mario Kart. The franchise is growing.

Forza 2 has outsold Forza1 and Forza 3 will outsell Forza 3. The franchis is growing.

As for Gran Turismo 5, I'ts not going to be the best in the series, but it will sell big. It wil be bundled greatly and it's sales won't stop until GT6 and/or PS4 releases. 

Actually if you look at Mario Kart sales, they follow an attach rate on 1/3. This goes for all Mario Karts except the original Super Mario Kart. Mario Kart didn't all of a sudden get more popular, Nintendo consoles got more popular and Mario Kart just happens to be one of Nintendo's finest games.

As for Forza 2 and 3 gaining sales, well quality has improved significantly from Forza 1 to Forza 3, Forza 2 and 3 are also sold on a more popular console, brand name was established after Forza 1, and most importantly, a significant number of gamers who just love racing games switched over to Forza instead of waiting for GT5. (I was one of them, but I later got a PS3 anyway).

As for GT5, how long do you think until a PS4 releases? 3 years maybe? It's going to sell well, I agree, but I don't think anything above 11 million.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Blue3 said:

Seriously how old are you ?

GT4 came out in Feb22 in NA and March9 in Europe.

Yet just can't wrap your mind around the fact that coming out for Balck friday in NA and the holidays in Europe will mean higher then ever early sales for GT ?

You just can't get it through your head that preorders mean shit all when your games first week includes Balck Friday madness.  GT5 will get impulse/deal buys that it would have not gotten any other week of the year, wait i forgot week before chirstmas but wait GT5 will get those sales also.

You just cant understand the differance between a world wide late November release date compared to march april whatever broken up release.  

Generally releasing a game in the holiday season doesn't really boost sales. Forza Motorsport 2-3, Mass Effect 1-2, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, and Past GT games (In Japan) all show that holiday releases don't generally change anything.

Yet you can't wrap your head around that and try to force your opinion onto others..

mmhmm gj.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
Killiana1a said:

Very unique indeed. I have my predictions, I am sticking to them regardless of any spin from individuals who have anything more than a minor passing of pride invested in them becoming true. It ain't like I am losing money or parts of my brain. I can do that by myself.

2.3-2.5 million week 1 is what you have put forth and many are following. What if the numbers come in at 2.2m, 2.1m, 1.9m, or 1.5m? How will you react?

Furthermore, if my prediction is ludicrous then why do others feel the need to respond to it? If the Prologue sales were any indicator, then shouldn't worries have already been assuaged to the point where others don't feel the need to respond to my prediction? Do I sense a tad bit of doubt that if GT5 doesn't reach 10 million in 6 months time, then others will feel some sort of loss?

Personally, I could care less what anyone on this board thinks of me based on my predictions. I will low-ball games and high-ball games because I want to knowing full well the reaction and ensuing fun that it will draw from diehard fans of the particular game. Conversations like this for me are fun because I don't take it seriously, while others have so much invested in it. We don't have money or our real names attached to the forums or predictions. It is not like our employers will think less of us or punish us for not accurately predicting a game. Henceforth, it is a fun back-and-forth.

Unique indeed.

What do you predict for lifetime sales?

My vote is 9.3 million, and like you, I'm sticking to it. It's going to take more then one or two loyal fans to change my mind.

It's 4 million. He says he's sticking with that.

But is that his real prediction, or a mocking one to annoy fans? I want to know what he really thinks the game will sell.

I am merely restating my prediction from a Solid_Snake4RD thread. Yes, I low-balled it to both agitate and fall at the lower end as some in that thread are predicting 11 millio plus lifetime and 4 to 5 million first week. Someone had to drag up the bottom.

I can tell you now my prediction will be wrong if you or I take it at face value.

My internal prediction, which some may be taken aback at after thoroughly hating my low prediction is 1.2 million first week and 9.5 million lifetime.

I apologize for changing it up and pushing buttons. I never mean for anyone to take it personally, nor for anyone including myself to become as predictable in their posting as a Malstrom blog post. Call it hypocrisy, but in the industry in which I work we have to change our approach and demeanor on a dime because the clients we serve, along with all humans, are not predictable creatures. We do have our set habits, but those can be subject to change on a whim if the individual so desires or if compelled to.

I guess that is a long-winded way of saying I am a hypocrite, you are too, so what is the fuss all about?

Michael-5 said:
Jay520 said:
Monges79 said:

Exactly. If anyone has noticed, racing games are not as in demand as they used to be. I'm sure that GT5 is a very good game, but people don't buy racing games like they used to.

Forza 2 has outsold Forza1 and Forza 3 will outsell Forza 3. The franchis is growing.

As for Gran Turismo 5, I'ts not going to be the best in the series, but it will sell big. It wil be bundled greatly and it's sales won't stop until GT6 and/or PS4 releases. 

Actually if you look at Mario Kart sales, they follow an attach rate on 1/3. This goes for all Mario Karts except the original Super Mario Kart. Mario Kart didn't all of a sudden get more popular, Nintendo consoles got more popular and Mario Kart just happens to be one of Nintendo's finest games.

As for Forza 2 and 3 gaining sales, well quality has improved significantly from Forza 1 to Forza 3, Forza 2 and 3 are also sold on a more popular console, brand name was established after Forza 1, and most importantly, a significant number of gamers who just love racing games switched over to Forza instead of waiting for GT5. (I was one of them, but I later got a PS3 anyway).

As for GT5, how long do you think until a PS4 releases? 3 years maybe? It's going to sell well, I agree, but I don't think anything above 11 million.

LOL I guess I can't prove you wrong there.

I wouldn't know about this, I only played Forza 1, but I'll take your word for it.

I think the PS4 will release in 2014. I think the PS3 will reach $199 in 2012. It should be able to hold it's own for 2 more years after that. GT6 releasing in 2014 or 2015 I think. That gives GT5 about 4 years of sales on a current console (unlike GT4 which only had 1 year before 360 released and 2 years before PS3 released). I expect 9 - 11mil.

I know it sold at least one copy now, since I got mine!

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Monges79 said:
Ginyu said:
pezus said:
Monges79 said:

I think that people that think that GT5 will be the best selling in the franchise are forgetting something. How do you expect it to outsell all of the others when the install base of the PS3 is one third of the PS2? If you want a prime example look at FF13. Did it sell poorly? No. Did it come close to some of the FF on the PS2? Not even close. Not to mention that the 360 sold it also. They are selling FF13 for $20 this weekend, and I still doubt it will sell that many. I think that many will be surprised at the under-stellar sales that GT5 will receive.

How big was the PS2 base when GT3 launched again? ...

By the end of 2001 7 million more in 2 years than PS3 in 4 years.

GT3 was an early game so it sold well like FFX and MGS2 due to lack of competition. Same goes for why mediocre games likes Resistance and Motorstorm have sold over 3.5 million on PS3 they came out early when there where few options for PS3 owners to buy.

Thats why by the time Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 came out they disappointed because now there was GTA4, MGS4, Call of Duty etc   

GT5 is not in the same place as GT3 was.

The only series in a downfall is N4S and that's because of year by year mediocre releases. The franchise has probably reached it's peak but it's definitely improving compared to recent iterations.

Burnout 5 is going to be the best selling in the series. I have no doubt it'll sell another 500k to catch Burnout 3. The Franchise is growing.

Actually I think Mario Kart Wii is the least popular one by a few percent.

Jay520 said:
Michael-5 said:
Jay520 said:
Monges79 said:

LOL I guess I can't prove you wrong there.

I wouldn't know about this, I only played Forza 1, but I'll take your word for it.

I think the PS4 will release in 2014. I think the PS3 will reach $199 in 2012. It should be able to hold it's own for 2 more years after that. GT6 releasing in 2014 or 2015 I think. That gives GT5 about 4 years of sales on a current console (unlike GT4 which only had 1 year before 360 released and 2 years before PS3 released). I expect 9 - 11mil.

Do you really think Sony will release a GT game on the PS3 the year the PS4 is released? I know GT4 just made the punchline, but personally I think the reason why this GT took so long to develop was because they made the core programming take advantage of higher end programming standard. Meaning they made the engine of the game capable of much much more, and it took a while.

2014, that would mean that the PS3 had 8 years of mainstream life. Not bad, but do you really think the 360 can hold strong sales for 9 years? MS may force Sony to update early, and Wii sales are already heading downhill, how long until that console sees a successor?

Killiana1a said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

What do you predict for lifetime sales?

My vote is 9.3 million, and like you, I'm sticking to it. It's going to take more then one or two loyal fans to change my mind.

It's 4 million. He says he's sticking with that.

But is that his real prediction, or a mocking one to annoy fans? I want to know what he really thinks the game will sell.

I am merely restating my prediction from a Solid_Snake4RD thread. Yes, I low-balled it to both agitate and fall at the lower end as some in that thread are predicting 11 millio plus lifetime and 4 to 5 million first week. Someone had to drag up the bottom.

I can tell you now my prediction will be wrong if you or I take it at face value.

My internal prediction, which some may be taken aback at after thoroughly hating my low prediction is 1.2 million first week and 9.5 million lifetime.

I apologize for changing it up and pushing buttons. I never mean for anyone to take it personally, nor for anyone including myself to become as predictable in their posting as a Malstrom blog post. Call it hypocrisy, but in the industry in which I work we have to change our approach and demeanor on a dime because the clients we serve, along with all humans, are not predictable creatures. We do have our set habits, but those can be subject to change on a whim if the individual so desires or if compelled to.

I guess that is a long-winded way of saying I am a hypocrite, you are too, so what is the fuss all about?

I'm a hypocrite? How so? I'm prediction 9.3 million, and in the past I predicted 8.5 million, but after IGN gave the game an 8.5/10, I don't think that 8.5 million looks too bad anymore.

Also it's cool to take these predictions laid back. I often argue for the complete opposite opinion of someone just for a good debate. Reading your past comments, I never saw an expression of real concern or anxiety over the predictions of others, so I never debated with you.

You had a low prediction, but you completly acknowledged that higher values were very possible, how can I debate with that?

BTW 1.2 million week 1, as the PS3 holiday exclusive being released almost during the peak of game sales? Don't you think thats a little low considering your LTD prediction of 9.5 million?

Blue3 said:

GT4 did 2.5m first week.

Craked 4 million in 3 weeks, with no holiday sales in NA or Europe. 

Yet Gt5 will do less while releasing before Balck Friday and getting 4 weeks of sales leading up to that little Dec 24th date.

IGN, one of the largest online gaming networks gave GT5 an 8.5 out of 10. Thats lower then not only every console GT game IGN has ever reviewed, but also lower then every single Forza Motorsport ever reviewed.

Do you still think GT5 will sell as well as prior GT's? How can it have legs just as strong without the same quality as previous games to back it up? Nevermind the smaller fanbase, and the shrinking popularity of consoles in Japan, and the Playstation brand in Americas...

Just so other people are aware, IGN gave GT2 and GT3 a 9.8/10, GT1, GT4, and Forza Motorsport 1 a 9.5/10, FM3 a 9.4/10, and FM2 an 8.9/10. GT5 got 8.5 out of 10, lower then every console GT game, and Forza Motorsport, and coincidently the same score as GT5P. GT PSP got a 6.8/10 and if you pay attention to sales that game is a critical disapointment.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not so sure my original 8.5 million prediction was that far off anymore, but I still think 9.3 million lifetime.

Michael-5 said:
Blue3 said:

GT4 did 2.5m first week.

Craked 4 million in 3 weeks, with no holiday sales in NA or Europe. 

Yet Gt5 will do less while releasing before Balck Friday and getting 4 weeks of sales leading up to that little Dec 24th date.

IGN, one of the largest online gaming networks gave GT5 an 8.5 out of 10. Thats lower then not only every console GT game IGN has ever reviewed, but also lower then every single Forza Motorsport ever reviewed.

Do you still think GT5 will sell as well as prior GT's? How can it have legs just as strong without the same quality as previous games to back it up? Nevermind the smaller fanbase, and the shrinking popularity of consoles in Japan, and the Playstation brand in Americas...

Just so other people are aware, IGN gave GT2 and GT3 a 9.8/10, GT1, GT4, and Forza Motorsport 1 a 9.5/10, FM3 a 9.4/10, and FM2 an 8.9/10. GT5 got 8.5 out of 10, lower then every console GT game, and Forza Motorsport, and coincidently the same score as GT5P. GT PSP got a 6.8/10 and if you pay attention to sales that game is a critical disapointment.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not so sure my original 8.5 million prediction was that far off anymore, but I still think 9.3 million lifetime.

i think it'll sell 10 million in the end, i've been playing all all day  and it is the best GT to date regardless of some of the flaws. its just a joy to play and the fans of the series are gonna love it. its just classic gran turismo. new people to racing games and peope who aint played GT before may think its a bit bleak but the majority of GT players are hardcore fans of the series. which is why it'll sell more than 10 million. the fans havnt just vanished all of a sudden.