By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Embarassing" Kinect Interview

And this is exactly why I have no faith in HD consoles' motion controllers, there seems to be little to nothing worthwhile being developed for them and what little there is seems gimmicky or plain misplaced to me.

It will sell quite a few units for sure, but I don't see any compelling reasons what so ever to purchase Kinect (I do have a 360 in the house now though).

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

No offense, but still believe a lot of what MS actually showed on stage was, well, staged.  I have seen some footage where people actually got to play a real demo of Forza behind scenes and there was a little more lag than that.  The head motion portion was missing, as well.  And the fact that the steering is assisted in the corners kinda shows that Kinect isn't responsive enough for the type of accuracy needed for cornering.  Actually, I just found it again:

God being a big racing game fan myself seeing that lag just kills me, I mean when controls are even slightly off I get infurated and want to break whatever device I'm holding at the time (lots of PSP and GBA racing games did this to me) I just can't stand it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
thismeintiel said:

No offense, but still believe a lot of what MS actually showed on stage was, well, staged.  I have seen some footage where people actually got to play a real demo of Forza behind scenes and there was a little more lag than that.  The head motion portion was missing, as well.  And the fact that the steering is assisted in the corners kinda shows that Kinect isn't responsive enough for the type of accuracy needed for cornering.  Actually, I just found it again:

God being a big racing game fan myself seeing that lag just kills me, I mean when controls are even slightly off I get infurated and want to break whatever device I'm holding at the time (lots of PSP and GBA racing games did this to me) I just can't stand it.

Well there you go, get Kinect, you won't have a device in your hands to break!

jk, jk (while I am not interested in Kincet it reallky remains to be seen whether the software that will actually come out will be this laggy)

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
thismeintiel said:

jk, jk (while I am not interested in Kincet it reallky remains to be seen whether the software that will actually come out will be this laggy)

Right after I posted that I thought someone would make that joke and yep you did

Just about every report I've seen said there is at least a 200ms input lag thats enough to ruin any racing or fighting game.  Some things like the Harry Potter game is not a good example of what the lag will be like, it's using the old engine, it's on rails, and the gameplay looks lack luster, it's got rushed out Kinect launch/early life title all over it

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
bmmb1 said:

Right after I posted that I thought someone would make that joke and yep you did

Just about every report I've seen said there is at least a 200ms input lag thats enough to ruin any racing or fighting game.  Some things like the Harry Potter game is not a good example of what the lag will be like, it's using the old engine, it's on rails, and the gameplay looks lack luster, it's got rushed out Kinect launch/early life title all over it

I have this feeling that a lot of what we're seeing may be software related problems. It's just like when someone says "zomg Move is much more precise than WM plus!" based on this or that game, when in actuality it is the way that the WM plus implementation was done (e.g. because the developer thought that 1:1 would be too tough on most players) that gives this impression.

So it just may be that what we are seeing here is the software and not the Kinect... If that's the quality of the software that will actually come out at launch though, they should have delayed the launch.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
bmmb1 said:

I have this feeling that a lot of what we're seeing may be software related problems. It's just like when someone says "zomg Move is much more precise than WM plus!" based on this or that game, when in actuality it is the way that the WM plus implementation was done (e.g. because the developer thought that 1:1 would be too tough on most players) that gives this impression.

So it just may be that what we are seeing here is the software and not the Kinect... If that's the quality of the software that will actually come out at launch though, they should have delayed the launch.

why wouldn't they want one to one, oh and its not the software entirely, the software is programmed to react when the button is pressed as fast as it can, any then placed to slow down the game such as a shot delay go on top of the already existing lag for example there is a 200ms delay on the hardware plus the devoloper to make it slow down and add 1 second to preform the action then it would take 1 second and 200 ms total. plus the game could have bad programming and poor use of CPU etc meaning frame rate drops and lag due to poor proccessing as well. 

Kinect needs One to one, you want to be able in a fighting game punch twice and see the character punch twice not once then delay then hit again when during that delay you could of pulled off a kick or had timed the punches to hit when he was off guard. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

If lag remains big and only on rails games are possible, it's a miserable failure.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Part of the challenge with Kinect is that if taken at face value - i.e. no controller whatsoever - then all input has to come from your movements.  For most developers that clearly leans them towards 'on rails' type stuff as it's just easier to do.

I see no reason Kinect couldn't support 'off rails' but it'll need some developers to really think about how to implement a gesture based way of moving around in some fashion.

The Wii and Move offer a controller to allow for traditional movement, so its much easier for developers to consider how to get 'off rails' for those consoles... but Kinect represents a different challenge and one that is going to take some people to get their lateral thinking caps on to solve.

BTW I have no idea why anyone who wants to play a driving game would use Kinect (or Move or even the Wiimote on its own) as the input.  That's just nuts and so wrong for that activity.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

BTW I have no idea why anyone who wants to play a driving game would use Kinect (or Move or even the Wiimote on its own) as the input.  That's just nuts and so wrong for that activity.

23 Million, and climbing. Unless the "on its own" comment was meant to exclude the wheel shell, which you don't actually need to play unless you're on manual and want to drift more easily.

"It works already perfectly" ...clearly the guy didnt see that girl playing Harry Potter lol