By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worst controller ever

NintendoTogepi said:

I thought the N64 Controller was a nightmare.

I don't have three hands!

I do  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Around the Network

Great:
Wii
GameCube

Ok:
N64... Kinda hated the 3rd handle.. it was kinda pointless. If the anolog was where the dpad was it would of been perfect.

Horrible:
PSX,PS2,PS3.. I hate they named the buttons. I couldn't get it when I was a kid and I still can't get it now. The feel of it is alright when controlling.
Xbox.. size does matter in this case.

The reason Sony named the buttons was because they didn't want it to look like the complete rip off of the SNES that it was (though you can't blame them, the playstation STARTED as an SNES project...)

Sony now has entrenched itself with the 'shape' named buttons, as stupid as they are.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

NintendoTogepi said:

Why people diss the N64 controller for being pronged like a fork I don't know.

It was designed like that so you had maximum control no matter which control method you used: D-Pad or Analog stick, and it worked perfectly.

There was never EVER a single game on the 64 that required you to use the Analog AND D-Pad at once.

Point null and void.  

Around the Network
CrashMan said:
The reason Sony named the buttons was because they didn't want it to look like the complete rip off of the SNES that it was (though you can't blame them, the playstation STARTED as an SNES project...)

Sony now has entrenched itself with the 'shape' named buttons, as stupid as they are.

Yes, like so many unfortunate decisions, this one was made for marketability rather than usability.

I also don't see what everybody's problem with the N64 controller is.  At least you didn't have to compromise with the D-pad or the analog stick, you could use both with equal ease, something I can't say for any other controller with an analog stick. 

Sony's button naming scheme is the worst ever! The very least they could have done was make the buttons feel different to the touch. I loved the way the SNES had two indented buttons and two bulging buttons. It was such an awesome design. Still my favorite controller. The classic controller on the Wii also has a great feel to it. IMO it's a much better design then the PS1/2 controller. I just wish they would have run the cable from the top and not the bottom to the Wiimote, or at least given us the option for cable placement. Also the D-pad on the PS1/2 controller is freaking useless. Why'd they even include it when it's impossible to use without hurting your fingers! It never feels responsive either.

I find that the Xbox controllers have horrible D pads as well. I guess it's all due to Nintendo owning the patent on the D pad... ugh...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Entroper said:
CrashMan said:

Yes, like so many unfortunate decisions, this one was made for marketability rather than usability.

I also don't see what everybody's problem with the N64 controller is.  At least you didn't have to compromise with the D-pad or the analog stick, you could use both with equal ease, something I can't say for any other controller with an analog stick. 

The shapes on the buttons actually correspond to what magikoopa shoots out in SMW. I've heard stories that this was intentional, although the earliest PS1 controllers had six face buttons which included a + and - button, so it could be coincidence. Also, the square and circle buttons have a connotation in japan that translates to "correct" and "wrong".

Back to topic. PS controllers have been getting worse with each gen, peaking with the sixaxis. The jaguar was awful, and the CDi was incredibly stupid, and the Virtua boy was just dumb. As for best; Saturn "japanese" controller for 2d, 360 for "traditional" 3d, and Wii for motion sensing/pointing. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

The huge first Xbox controller. Was atrocious.

But the N64 controller, I liked a lot despite hate.

MrMarc said:
NintendoTogepi said:

Why people diss the N64 controller for being pronged like a fork I don't know.

It was designed like that so you had maximum control no matter which control method you used: D-Pad or Analog stick, and it worked perfectly.

There was never EVER a single game on the 64 that required you to use the Analog AND D-Pad at once.

Point null and void.  

Turok used the D-pad and Analog stick. It was for the left handed control scheme. The d-pad was used in place of the c-buttons. I always kinda liked the 64 controller. It looked really dumb, but it worked really well for most games.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229