By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will happen to 360 if Kinect fails?

thx1139 said:

You cannot play the Move in a room with sunlight or have lights turned on.  Make sure the room has no magnet in it from items such as speakers and finally keep the controller away from your eyes so you dont burn your eyes out kid.

Not sure if it's been said before, but I play with my PS move all the time with a sun lit room and with the lights on in the day if it is gloomy.  So, I'm not sure where you got that information.

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
thx1139 said:

You cannot play the Move in a room with sunlight or have lights turned on.  Make sure the room has no magnet in it from items such as speakers and finally keep the controller away from your eyes so you dont burn your eyes out kid.

Not sure if it's been said before, but I play with my PS move all the time with a sun lit room and with the lights on in the day if it is gloomy.  So, I'm not sure where you got that information.

The troubleshooting chapter in the Move manual. Re-read the post.

Kinect wont fail, I'm betting it'll sell a little better then Move does out of the gates and after.. although neither of them will be anything major ..

Kinect is as much about positioning themselves for next gen as it is about bringing in a new type of gamer imo.  Sorry but whoever said it's aimed at people who haven't bought a console since PS1, I beg to differ.  I think it's aimed at the Wii Sports market who want their box to help with overall health, not hurt and particularly at women who M$ have failed to attract in large numbers.  They want to sell to people who have never bought a vg console, those who have a Wii and want something new and 360 owners who will upgrade to include their families and friends in their hobby.      

So far as next gen, it looks like Ninty will be first out of the blocks.  When the industry leader does move, M$ will be in a better position to counter if they have a base and some experience in the fitness and lifestyle side of the vg business that Wii has dominated. 

If the massive anti-360 campaign based on the rrod didn't doom the console do you really think some tech problems with a peripheral will?  Any issues will get fixed fast and Kinect will be at least a moderate success financially.

i dont think it will hurt the sales if it fails it would just prevent them from increasing a great deal.... whichever way failure or not kinect will sell more than the move at launch

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Kinect wont fail, but if it does all they have to do is use gametrak freedom controller and then they have a wii/move clone.

The worst I see happening to 360 is it's sales going up from Kinect and on.

He is not asking, what if Kinect fails because people may not be ready for controllerless gameplay because they are. He is asking, what if it fails because it doesn't do as advertised. Or what if people have to re-arrange their house to use it. Or do they have to move into a bigger place of residence. These are things that will cause people not to use the Kinect. And with non-use there will be no software sales. He is asking if people think that will cause Xbox fans to go over to the PS3 with Move. I have the Move and it works great. Better then my Wii Motion Plus. Very accurate and close to NO delay. Now I also own an Xbox 360 S. And I am more excited about getting the Kinect then I was when waiting for the Move to release. But what if it doesn't deliver? I am buying a Futon bed this month just to have that 8 feet of Kinect space in my room. How many of you are able or willing to make an adjustment? That is what he is asking. Your television may have to be moved in front of the window to keep the light from shining in the Kinect's camera lens. I am willing to make some minor adjustments but not many. 

It's made in the same chinese factory as the Apple iPhone, and that thing breaks apart more then any other phone I know....yet people still buy it like hotcakes.

If Kinect fails (not on a reliability front, but in an appeal front), then MS will have a troubling 2011 and 2012 and then might make a new console first again. The only think MS could do at this point is buy a ton of exclusives, release games of older IP's (Conker, PGR, Jade Empire, Killer Instinct, etc, etc), and ride it out. MS will do what they need to do to hold second place overall this generation, but if Kinect fails it may mean a massive profit loss. However MS cares more about image then $$$, I think they really want to shatter Sony's image next gen, maybe even Nintendo's too. the benefits of competition...

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

well....

Microsoft better hope Nintendo doesn't cut the price of the Wii a few weeks before Kinect comes out, because that will KILL Kinect sales.  Parents would see a $ 150 Wii versus a $ 300 Kinect bundle, and guess which one they will buy....

especially in this economy

I think the only reason Nintendo would NOT cut the price of the Wii to ruin the Kinect launch, is if Nintendo is confident Kinect will fail even without Nintendo cutting the price of the Wii.

....in fact, if Nintendo doesn't cut the price of the Wii in a couple weeks, I think the reason will be what I just said....because Nintendo CAN afford a price cut

It would be especially damaging if MS advertises the price of the Kinect bundle for $ 300 in TV commercials, and then Nintendo immediately cuts the price of the Wii just before the Kinect launch.

Kinect would be dead....end of story.

if Kinect does fail....then nothing really happens

except 360 hardware boost won't happen, that's all