By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Would you count these games as a sucess or a failure- Wii Edition

OK, I've been reading a lot about a few upcoming games, so I'm left wondering, just how well have they actually done? Would you count these 5 games as a success, or a failure? 

1. Xenoblade (Wii)

There's been a fair bit of buzz about this game as of late, mainly due to an absence of any info on a western release. I'm hyped for it, so I SOOO hope it'll come over!

VGchartz says- 142,831 copies sold in 16 weeks

My opinion- I've gotta say that I really expected this one to get more. This is a failure...so far. Fortunes may change if it comes to the west.

2.  Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)

A game which I knew nothing about up until one month before it's release, and is now my favourite game of all time. But how did it do sales-wise?  Was it wise to move to the Wii as opposed to the PS3? 

VGchartz says- 1,607,428 in about 22 weeks in the west.

I have to say, Capcom must be laughing at the success of this game. No way could they have expected for this to do so well in the west (they expected 500,000 in one year), AND they have subscription fees to collect as well! No doubt about it, this is a success.

3. Red Steel 2 (Wii)

This is a particularly interesting game. Not only because it required a Wii motion plus, but also because Ubisoft slashed their predictions for it from 1 mill LT to 500,000. Was it the right move?

VGchartz says- 292,441 in roughly 6 months

EDIT**

For some reason, when I read this, I saw it as 2.92million. Hence why I said success. 0.3million isn't too hot ATM. If they only expected 500,000, then it should reach that, but I doubt we'll see a Red Steel 3. Not on the Wii exclusively anyway...

4. Metroid-Other M

A truly interesting game this. A gamw whih split the fanbase in half (again), as well as the world. I loved it, but how many others have taken the punt?

VGchartz says- 458,215 in 4 weeks

Now normally I'd say "sucess" to that no problem, but there's two things to take into acount here.

1) It was by Nintendo- they wanted it to beat corruption (on 643,219 by this point)

2) Around 80% of those sales came from the US. We knew this would be the case for Japan, but what's happened to Europe? No-one seems to have bought it...

Therefore, whilst I feel it may, MAY just be able to beat corruption, this is a failure thus far (I may change it later)

5) Boom Blox (Wii)

A surprise hit, coming from the fact that it was produced by Steven Spielberg. However, due to poor 1st week sales (only 58,000 WW) it was labelled as a bomb from the Wii-hating crowd. Is that still the case now though?

VGchartz says- 1,054,353

When I planned to look at this, I expected half a million MAX. I never ever EVER would have expected this to be a Million-seller, and, to be frank, I don't think anyone else could have predicted this either. No question here- success.

6) Okami (Wii)

What can you say about Okami? Well, there's plenty to say about it's awesomeness, but sales-wise is extremely interesting. Is it as bad-a flop as people expected?

Vgchartz says-342,292

Hmm...Vgchartz doesn't seem to be tracking sales in EMEAA. I know that's wrong, I bought the game :). Anyway, I'm gonna guesstimate then that it's sold roughly 500,000 copies. Which is damn good for a port which cost next to nothing, a game which has been picked up upon for poor sales in the past etc. It warranted a sequel, which means it would have to be profitable for Capcom, but a success? No, I think more like "meh". Also, LOL at selling 68 copies in Japan on Week 17- that surprised me...

So, that's my part over, what do you reckon? Do you agree with me?

EDIT** 

The more I think about Red Steel 2, the less confident I am that it's a success. I'll have to wait a few weeks to check, but maybe it ain't so hot after all :/

Also this is my first thread so be gentle with me! I'm only delicate...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I'm willing to change the results and/or add games if anyone can think of a reason why.

Also, remember that this is my first ever thread, so if I've missed anything out, just leme know :)

Finally, if this is successful, then I shall continue with the other consoles, starting with the PS3. So, any thoughts people?

But...but...third parties CAN'T have sucess on the Wii!!!

Above: still the best game of the year.

IMO Xenoblade did pretty well in Japan, and it has a shot at doing decent numbers in the west to. I doubt that anyone was expecting million sales for this one

Monster Hunter Tri is the best-selling home-console MH ever, the issues is, that it cant compete with the PSP versions, and I doubt that Capcom is 100% happy with the sales of this game, because even now, its still not the best selling MH in western territories, and they hoped that more casual games will jump on the MH craze.

RS2: bomb, no question about this one. Sorry, but the crappy launch title sold over a million, and this one, that was acclaimed by critics, wont even manage half that amount. I know that Ubi never went to far to advertise this one, but never the less, its a failure.

MoM: Nintendo wanted this one to sell ~2.5 million. It will never happen. So yeah, it didnt tank, but it wont live up to the expectations...

Boom Blox probably made a nice profit, and I doubt that EA expected far more. Now the sequel... thats a whole different tale.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:

IMO Xenoblade did pretty well in Japan, and it has a shot at doing decent numbers in the west to. I doubt that anyone was expecting million sales for this one

Monster Hunter Tri is the best-selling home-console MH ever, the issues is, that it cant compete with the PSP versions, and I doubt that Capcom is 100% happy with the sales of this game, because even now, its still not the best selling MH in western territories, and they hoped that more casual games will jump on the MH craze.

RS2: bomb, no question about this one. Sorry, but the crappy launch title sold over a million, and this one, that was acclaimed by critics, wont even manage half that amount. I know that Ubi never went to far to advertise this one, but never the less, its a failure.

MoM: Nintendo wanted this one to sell ~2.5 million. It will never happen. So yeah, it didnt tank, but it wont live up to the expectations...

Boom Blox probably made a nice profit, and I doubt that EA expected far more. Now the sequel... thats a whole different tale.

Source please, for entertainment purposes?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:

But...but...third parties CAN'T have sucess on the Wii!!!

What about Just Dance :P

Beuli2 said:
hunter_alien said:

Source please, for entertainment purposes?

I was expecting million seller for Xenoblade...

Also, yes, I'd like to see your source for the Other M thingy. 

As for Red Steel 2...just remember the original was a launch title...

Red Steel 2 and Other M failed. Monster Hunter 3 and Boom Blox are successful games. Xenoblade we've yet to see. That's my opinion on it anyways.

hunter_alien said:

Seems Capcom has been on record a few times saying the exact opposite.  Do you have a link supporting Capcom's disappointment with MH3t sales or is this just your opinion?