By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "Buttons are irreplaceable"

“Buttons are irreplaceable as an input device,” says Sony

Sony’s talking about buttons being important again, this time calling them irreplaceable as an input device.

Speaking with Edge, PlayStation Move designer Richard Marks said Eye and  Move are really flexible and can do things a hands-free controller and camera without buttons can’t.

“I think that you can do some things really well with just a camera, or just a 3D camera, but there’s just some stuff you can’t do as well. And there’s a bunch of experiences you could never do as well,” said Marks. “I think our system is really flexible because we still have a camera.

“Buttons are irreplaceable as an input device. Too many buttons are overwhelming, but one single action button is very powerful feeling. For core games you really do need a set of buttons to quickly choose things. Trying to replace buttons with gestures doesn’t work very well.”

Mark’s comments are very similar to ones he made at E3 back in June, when he said Sony had looked at motion cameras as a hands-free controller, but decided there were certain “experiences” that the cameras “can do that are really neat but there just weren’t enough experiences that made it make enough sense as a platform-level controller”.

“Sometimes we need buttons to have certain kinds of experiences,” he said in June. “Other times we need more precision than we can get out of those cameras. We need to know exactly what you’re doing with your hands, especially in the more hardcore experiences.”

Move is out in the US and UK as we speak.

Via Eurogamer & vg247.com

Around the Network

That's not true at all, and someday they will be entirely erased. Futurama has shown what the future holds, and it is good.

This is another obvious dig at Kinect. Sony must be feeling threatened by it's impending release in order for them to say something like this.   

The PR flamewar is doing good lately ^^

Me likes it..

May the adjustments be with you

I feel a disturbance in the sales

I agree, buttons shall never go way as Kinect fails.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

It is obviously a jab at Kinect, but there is some truth to it.  How the hell can you play Halo without buttons??

Tifa got MOVES!

Jinova said:

It is obviously a jab at Kinect, but there is some truth to it.  How the hell can you play Halo without buttons??

I take it you didn't watch Futurama back when it first aired.

Surely eventually we won't have to go to the effort of pressing buttons, mind control is the far future

Some games are best with buttons, some games without.  So to be entirely without buttons is just not possible.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

wfz said:

That's not true at all, and someday they will be entirely erased. Futurama has shown what the future holds, and it is good.

And it's, generally speaking, funny. Especially when it involves alcoholic, homocidal robots.

Bah!