By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA Up - 18 September 2010

routsounmanman said:
Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

And there's no point in continuing it with you if you're one of those that don't.

Yeah, the successor to the most popular game series of all time, coming out 18 years after the last one. What a fool I must be to believe such a game can move hardware. LMAO.

If not for NSMB, Wii would probably be dead right now. It had next to no hardware movers for 9 months this year, and STILL held up respectively. That was NSMB.

Whatever, no point in me wasting more bandwidth. Sales will speak for themselves. That's why I like vgchartz. There is no spinning, just numbers, and the numbers don't lie.

Boom. Sales in EMEAA this week for you right here between PS3 and Wii.

PS3 - 58,167
Wii - 51,807

Year on Year... "Growth" so far between PS3 and Wii.

PS3 - UP by 1.4 Million
Wii - DOWN by 250k

Talk about contradicting yourself and your PS3 has packed it in statement. When the numbers clearly show otherwise.

Well.... those numbers don't even matter. At the end, is total sales what matters. Not a week sales... or a YoY growt. I mean, obviously, when you had the Wii doing amazing and the ps3 doing really crappy.... well, is easier for the ps3 to be at a better position this time last year than the wii.

What you just wrote is what I call a good old fashion Spin!

But let me just go ahead and write what REALLY matters at the end of the day:

EMEAA

Wii ~ 28 Millions

Ps3 ~ 17 Millions. BOOM! Right there

While I agree the total Lifetime numbers matter more...

I didn't spin anything, considering we are talking about sales happening right now and into the future.

By the way. Wii has sold 11 Million more units than the PS3 in EMEAA, yet its struggling to stay ahead weekly right now. Funny how things can change up, huh?

Yes, funny that you compare in a week where PS3 had just a huge peripheral launch and Wii had practically nothing for so long. And still, PS3 came on top by a few k units. Such minor spikes happen, you gotta look at the greater picture here.

Wii just finished its small bump from Wii Legacy.

Other than that... I couldn't care less if the Wii hasn't had much. Not my problem. I can compare sales from this week if I want. Especially when someone comes up with a bullcrap claim like they did.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:
Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Not really. You are using this week as a reference, when wii got nothing, and the ps3 just got something [some] sony/ps3 fans called "would change and pushed the ps3 above the wii" so.... i dont see anything wrong there, do you?

But let me tell you what is even FUNNIER. Last gen ps2 sold ~140 plus million units, and the Game Cube a lil bit more than 20 millions.... and everyone thought Ps3 was gonna destroyed EVERYTHING this gen, and that the wii wans't going to do shit.... That's how a might fell... and hard. Being in 3rd place... Now, that's what I really call something funny, and how things can really change.

Now, between Ps3 and Wii, again saying is struggling, when last week we saw Wii at 140K and Ps3 at 120K or something like that... thats 20K difference... added to the already large advantage the wii has. Really, there's no point in worrying about the wii. A year ago was the same history, and just look at how everything turned out to be =)

And you can't really talk about sales in the future.... we don't even know 'em right now.

Like I said, it's funny how things can change up really quickly.

Last week the Wii still had Wii Legacy deals going on from the week before.

And there's no point in worrying about the PS3 :)

Well if you mean it like that well yeah, wii will be back on top... so things changed again :O that's, well... kind of stupid.

And don't worry, I'm not worry about ps3... or wii, or x360 sales, I only worry about playing the games they provide me... sales, that's extra

Oh. Wii likely will be on top later this year. The usual Christmas buzz and all that.

I wouldn't be willing to put my money on it being ahead for next year though.

Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

As for the PS3, it's easy to be up YoY when its numbers were previously very low. It's relative. To the sensitive Sony fans: I may have mispoke when I said PS3 packed it in, but now that the slim and pricecut have run their course, and the Move doesn't seem like it'll effect the hardware (since the technology has already existed for 4 years and the Move games don't seem to do anything different), I'm simply saying that Sony has shown most of their cards. It always baffles me that everyone seems to think PS3 will be this magical console that will last forever. It's just not the case people.

I'm not saying Wii and 360 will sell like gangbusters while PS3 collapses, I'm just saying PS3 will decline like everything else, and going from the evidence, It seems to be sooner rather than later. You have to look at the upcoming PS3 library as evidence of the console's future, the one thing that funny enough no one seems to mention. Judging from the future library, there isn't much for my mind that will keep the PS3 at the high it's been during the past year. You can't say anything critical of Sony on this site, it's getting silly.

Are you saying the PS3 has no games for next year to keep the console interesting to the general public?

I wouldn't say no games, but few. At least that I know about.

Besides FFIV, I don't see any blockbusters, like GoW, GT5, FFXIII, Killzone 2, etc. Maybe Killzone 3. I'm sure there's more that Sony just hasn't announced yet, but I always thought they were notorious for announcing most of their hits well in advance.

Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Not really. You are using this week as a reference, when wii got nothing, and the ps3 just got something [some] sony/ps3 fans called "would change and pushed the ps3 above the wii" so.... i dont see anything wrong there, do you?

But let me tell you what is even FUNNIER. Last gen ps2 sold ~140 plus million units, and the Game Cube a lil bit more than 20 millions.... and everyone thought Ps3 was gonna destroyed EVERYTHING this gen, and that the wii wans't going to do shit.... That's how a might fell... and hard. Being in 3rd place... Now, that's what I really call something funny, and how things can really change.

Now, between Ps3 and Wii, again saying is struggling, when last week we saw Wii at 140K and Ps3 at 120K or something like that... thats 20K difference... added to the already large advantage the wii has. Really, there's no point in worrying about the wii. A year ago was the same history, and just look at how everything turned out to be =)

And you can't really talk about sales in the future.... we don't even know 'em right now.

Like I said, it's funny how things can change up really quickly.

Last week the Wii still had Wii Legacy deals going on from the week before.

And there's no point in worrying about the PS3 :)

Well if you mean it like that well yeah, wii will be back on top... so things changed again :O that's, well... kind of stupid.

And don't worry, I'm not worry about ps3... or wii, or x360 sales, I only worry about playing the games they provide me... sales, that's extra

Oh. Wii likely will be on top later this year. The usual Christmas buzz and all that.

I wouldn't be willing to put my money on it being ahead for next year though.

Well... we'll see. nobody put their money on wii being first place this gen, nobody put their money on ps3 being last.... nobody put their money a year ago at what wii acomplished on X-mas time last year....

time will tell my friend, we can only wait =)

CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
Simulacrum said:

Whoa..Microsoft really can play it cards well.

Move did....move... some hardware but Sony must little dissapointed..

Well, now we wait for holidays!

Why would they be disappointed?

Because, whatever Sony claimed about anticipated sales when they realized Move was going to underperform, the sales of Move were at the very low end of what could reasonably be expected, and will at this point do nothing to inspire further software investment by third parties.

When Sony themselves didn't expect much intially, I find it hard to believe they'd be disappointed with these numbers (particularly when they "Move"d some hardware).

As for 3rd parties, can't speak for them. Time will tell how they feel.

Come now, don't be naive.  It isn't hard to realize Sony went into damage control the moment they realised which way Move's early sales were going to go.

Investment from third parties will ONLY occur if/when Move reaches sufficient numbers or anticipate numbers to sustain profitable sales.  First week in Europe says that is a long way off, if it ever comes.

Sony needs a killer app.

The simple truth is you don't know what's going to happen, despite predictions. Take David Cage, he only expected HEAVY RAIN to sell 500,000 in it's life, he thought he had an idea of how the game would perform. Well, it did MUCH better than he expected.

Sony's expectations of Move are just a forecast. Doesn't mean they knew for sure, or that Move has failed. It just means it could be starting out slow and will pick up when the games roll in.

Investments from 3rd parties are already in place. Whether they increase or stagnate remains to be seen, but this one week of sales is hardly enough of an indicator of where Move is headed.

David Cage did exactly the same.  He lowballed his prediction as much as possible.  There was no way Heavy Rain was ever going to stop at 500k.  Uber-hyped first party titles just don't do that.

Sony's expectations for move (the ones you're quoting) are NOT a forecast.  A forecast is written up in a company report, and I highly doubt we'll ever know what their specific forecast was.  What you are quoting is a public relations expression designed to assure Sony never has to say they were disappointed with sales.

I fully agree that one week of sales isn't sufficient to see where Move his headed.  But I maintain it is naive to view them as anything other than a disappointment, unless you hold shares in Microsoft.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

As for the PS3, it's easy to be up YoY when its numbers were previously very low. It's relative. To the sensitive Sony fans: I may have mispoke when I said PS3 packed it in, but now that the slim and pricecut have run their course, and the Move doesn't seem like it'll effect the hardware (since the technology has already existed for 4 years and the Move games don't seem to do anything different), I'm simply saying that Sony has shown most of their cards. It always baffles me that everyone seems to think PS3 will be this magical console that will last forever. It's just not the case people.

I'm not saying Wii and 360 will sell like gangbusters while PS3 collapses, I'm just saying PS3 will decline like everything else, and going from the evidence, It seems to be sooner rather than later. You have to look at the upcoming PS3 library as evidence of the console's future, the one thing that funny enough no one seems to mention. Judging from the future library, there isn't much for my mind that will keep the PS3 at the high it's been during the past year. You can't say anything critical of Sony on this site, it's getting silly.

Are you saying the PS3 has no games for next year to keep the console interesting to the general public?

I wouldn't say no games, but few. At least that I know about.

Besides FFIV, I don't see any blockbusters, like GoW, GT5, FFXIII, Killzone 2, etc. Maybe Killzone 3. I'm sure there's more that Sony just hasn't announced yet, but I always thought they were notorious for announcing most of their hits well in advance.

Possible Million sellers already announced that come straight to mind. Bear in mind 1 or 2 of these may be releasing 2012.

Killzone 3
inFamous 2
ICO Collection 
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Dead Space 2
Twisted Metal
Dragon Age 2
Crysis 2
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
Resistance 3
Batman: Arkham City
Street Fighter x Tekken
Mortal Kombat
Annual Madded/FIFA

That's off the top of my head, and what's already been confirmed. There's probably a fair few I've missed and countless yet to be revealed (Uncharted 3, Modern Warfare 3, Final Fantasy VII Remake, etc.)

Oh, and in that list I totally forgot about PS Move only games.

Sorcery, for example. I believe if marketed right... It could be PS Move's killer app!

i expected more by reach numbers, ofcourse numbers in na will be much higher then halo 3 but this shows you that the franchise is only massive in the us,

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

i expected more by reach numbers, ofcourse numbers in na will be much higher then halo 3 but this shows you that the franchise is only massive in the us,

Yeah, 1 million in one week (non-holiday week at that)  shows that the franchise is not massive in Europe ??

Sony fanboys sure have some weird criteria judging the success of things !!!

johnglen said:
zgamer5 said:

Yeah, 1 million in one week (non-holiday week at that)  shows that the franchise is not massive in Europe ??

Sony fanboys sure have some weird criteria judging the success of things !!!

it sold 50k more then halo 3, a game which came out 3 years ago, i expected more.

does anyone disagree that halo isnt massive in europe? halo 3 sold 8 million in the us, 3 million in eu. the 5% increase shows that the franchise didnt go in europe(although i expect it to beat halo 3 sales in emeaa).

and considering this is halo 1 million isnt something to brag about.

and im not a sony fanboy :)

Being in 3rd place never felt so good