By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA Up - 18 September 2010

As for the PS3, it's easy to be up YoY when its numbers were previously very low. It's relative. To the sensitive Sony fans: I may have mispoke when I said PS3 packed it in, but now that the slim and pricecut have run their course, and the Move doesn't seem like it'll effect the hardware (since the technology has already existed for 4 years and the Move games don't seem to do anything different), I'm simply saying that Sony has shown most of their cards. It always baffles me that everyone seems to think PS3 will be this magical console that will last forever. It's just not the case people.

I'm not saying Wii and 360 will sell like gangbusters while PS3 collapses, I'm just saying PS3 will decline like everything else, and going from the evidence, It seems to be sooner rather than later. You have to look at the upcoming PS3 library as evidence of the console's future, the one thing that funny enough no one seems to mention. Judging from the future library, there isn't much for my mind that will keep the PS3 at the high it's been during the past year. You can't say anything critical of Sony on this site, it's getting silly.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

And there's no point in continuing it with you if you're one of those that don't.

Yeah, the successor to the most popular game series of all time, coming out 18 years after the last one. What a fool I must be to believe such a game can move hardware. LMAO.

If not for NSMB, Wii would probably be dead right now. It had next to no hardware movers for 9 months this year, and STILL held up respectively. That was NSMB.

Whatever, no point in me wasting more bandwidth. Sales will speak for themselves. That's why I like vgchartz. There is no spinning, just numbers, and the numbers don't lie.

Boom. Sales in EMEAA this week for you right here between PS3 and Wii.

PS3 - 58,167
Wii - 51,807

Year on Year... "Growth" so far between PS3 and Wii.

PS3 - UP by 1.4 Million
Wii - DOWN by 250k

Talk about contradicting yourself and your PS3 has packed it in statement. When the numbers clearly show otherwise.

Well.... those numbers don't even matter. At the end, is total sales what matters. Not a week sales... or a YoY growt. I mean, obviously, when you had the Wii doing amazing and the ps3 doing really crappy.... well, is easier for the ps3 to be at a better position this time last year than the wii.

What you just wrote is what I call a good old fashion Spin!

But let me just go ahead and write what REALLY matters at the end of the day:

EMEAA

Wii ~ 28 Millions

Ps3 ~ 17 Millions. BOOM! Right there

While I agree the total Lifetime numbers matter more...

I didn't spin anything, considering we are talking about sales happening right now and into the future.

By the way. Wii has sold 11 Million more units than the PS3 in EMEAA, yet its struggling to stay ahead weekly right now. Funny how things can change up, huh?

Not really. You are using this week as a reference, when wii got nothing, and the ps3 just got something [some] sony/ps3 fans called "would change and pushed the ps3 above the wii" so.... i dont see anything wrong there, do you?

But let me tell you what is even FUNNIER. Last gen ps2 sold ~140 plus million units, and the Game Cube a lil bit more than 20 millions.... and everyone thought Ps3 was gonna destroyed EVERYTHING this gen, and that the wii wans't going to do shit.... That's how a might fell... and hard. Being in 3rd place... Now, that's what I really call something funny, and how things can really change.

Now, between Ps3 and Wii, again saying is struggling, when last week we saw Wii at 140K and Ps3 at 120K or something like that... thats 20K difference... added to the already large advantage the wii has. Really, there's no point in worrying about the wii. A year ago was the same history, and just look at how everything turned out to be =)

And you can't really talk about sales in the future.... we don't even know 'em right now.

But I thought the Halo brand was waning....

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

And there's no point in continuing it with you if you're one of those that don't.

Yeah, the successor to the most popular game series of all time, coming out 18 years after the last one. What a fool I must be to believe such a game can move hardware. LMAO.

If not for NSMB, Wii would probably be dead right now. It had next to no hardware movers for 9 months this year, and STILL held up respectively. That was NSMB.

Whatever, no point in me wasting more bandwidth. Sales will speak for themselves. That's why I like vgchartz. There is no spinning, just numbers, and the numbers don't lie.

PS3 - 58,167
Wii - 51,807

PS3 - UP by 1.4 Million
Wii - DOWN by 250k

Talk about contradicting yourself and your PS3 has packed it in statement. When the numbers clearly show otherwise.

And what does that have to do with what I've been trying to argue?

If anything, you've helped proven my point that software sells hardware more than anything else. For the first 9 months of the year, Wii has had little compelleing software, and no hardware movers, hence its low sales.

I haven't been paying full attention to your little argument really. I only saw the comment from when Seece quoted you and I was scrolling down.

I just wanted to show how you were contradicting yourself with that post with your packed in thing

And if Software sells hardware more than anything else... What does the Wii have next year, may I ask?

Don't ask me, I'm not Nintendo. I'm guessing you didn't catch it, but I actually said Wii will probably be in pretty steady decline for most of next year. There is Zelda which will do well, but beyond that I don't see much, at least not yet. There is the potential for Vitality Sensor and its flagship game to be a mega hit, then there's DQX and probably Pikmin 3, and who knows what else.

Metallicube said:

As for the PS3, it's easy to be up YoY when its numbers were previously very low. It's relative. To the sensitive Sony fans: I may have mispoke when I said PS3 packed it in, but now that the slim and pricecut have run their course, and the Move doesn't seem like it'll effect the hardware (since the technology has already existed for 4 years and the Move games don't seem to do anything different), I'm simply saying that Sony has shown most of their cards. It always baffles me that everyone seems to think PS3 will be this magical console that will last forever. It's just not the case people.

I'm not saying Wii and 360 will sell like gangbusters while PS3 collapses, I'm just saying PS3 will decline like everything else, and going from the evidence, It seems to be sooner rather than later. You have to look at the upcoming PS3 library as evidence of the console's future, the one thing that funny enough no one seems to mention. Judging from the future library, there isn't much for my mind that will keep the PS3 at the high it's been during the past year. You can't say anything critical of Sony on this site, it's getting silly.

Are you saying the PS3 has no games for next year to keep the console interesting to the general public?

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:

Not really. You are using this week as a reference, when wii got nothing, and the ps3 just got something [some] sony/ps3 fans called "would change and pushed the ps3 above the wii" so.... i dont see anything wrong there, do you?

But let me tell you what is even FUNNIER. Last gen ps2 sold ~140 plus million units, and the Game Cube a lil bit more than 20 millions.... and everyone thought Ps3 was gonna destroyed EVERYTHING this gen, and that the wii wans't going to do shit.... That's how a might fell... and hard. Being in 3rd place... Now, that's what I really call something funny, and how things can really change.

Now, between Ps3 and Wii, again saying is struggling, when last week we saw Wii at 140K and Ps3 at 120K or something like that... thats 20K difference... added to the already large advantage the wii has. Really, there's no point in worrying about the wii. A year ago was the same history, and just look at how everything turned out to be =)

And you can't really talk about sales in the future.... we don't even know 'em right now.

Like I said, it's funny how things can change up really quickly.

Last week the Wii still had Wii Legacy deals going on from the week before.

And there's no point in worrying about the PS3 :)

Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Carl2291 said:
Metallicube said:

PS3 - 58,167
Wii - 51,807

PS3 - UP by 1.4 Million
Wii - DOWN by 250k

Well.... those numbers don't even matter. At the end, is total sales what matters. Not a week sales... or a YoY growt. I mean, obviously, when you had the Wii doing amazing and the ps3 doing really crappy.... well, is easier for the ps3 to be at a better position this time last year than the wii.

What you just wrote is what I call a good old fashion Spin!

But let me just go ahead and write what REALLY matters at the end of the day:

EMEAA

Wii ~ 28 Millions

Ps3 ~ 17 Millions. BOOM! Right there

While I agree the total Lifetime numbers matter more...

I didn't spin anything, considering we are talking about sales happening right now and into the future.

By the way. Wii has sold 11 Million more units than the PS3 in EMEAA, yet its struggling to stay ahead weekly right now. Funny how things can change up, huh?

Yes, funny that you compare in a week where PS3 had just a huge peripheral launch and Wii had practically nothing for so long. And still, PS3 came on top by a few k units. Such minor spikes happen, you gotta look at the greater picture here.

Carl2291 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Like I said, it's funny how things can change up really quickly.

Last week the Wii still had Wii Legacy deals going on from the week before.

And there's no point in worrying about the PS3 :)

Well if you mean it like that well yeah, wii will be back on top... so things changed again :O that's, well... kind of stupid.

And don't worry, I'm not worry about ps3... or wii, or x360 sales, I only worry about playing the games they provide me... sales, that's extra

CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
Simulacrum said:

Whoa..Microsoft really can play it cards well.

Move did....move... some hardware but Sony must little dissapointed..

Well, now we wait for holidays!

Why would they be disappointed?

Because, whatever Sony claimed about anticipated sales when they realized Move was going to underperform, the sales of Move were at the very low end of what could reasonably be expected, and will at this point do nothing to inspire further software investment by third parties.

When Sony themselves didn't expect much intially, I find it hard to believe they'd be disappointed with these numbers (particularly when they "Move"d some hardware).

As for 3rd parties, can't speak for them. Time will tell how they feel.

Come now, don't be naive.  It isn't hard to realize Sony went into damage control the moment they realised which way Move's early sales were going to go.

Investment from third parties will ONLY occur if/when Move reaches sufficient numbers or anticipate numbers to sustain profitable sales.  First week in Europe says that is a long way off, if it ever comes.

Sony needs a killer app.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Looks like MW2 is going to hold onto the title for biggest week on the 360, since Reach is looking to run 500k units behind already.  regardless, pushing almost a million units is hardly anything to sneeze at...but more importantly, it looks like Halo is still the premiere 1st party IP for now.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder