By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Different between Move and Wii?

Sharu said:
Zlejedi said:
Squilliam said:

You guys have all got it wrong!

The difference is in the games.

The Wii has games.

Thats the difference.

You are right it's all about games.

That's why ps3 wins  like Mike Tyson versus paper weight boxer-  it has great library of core titles spanning among all genres and allows developer to use move only in games where it's beneficial.

I'm sorry, but can you advice me, what 'great library of core titles' for Move it really has now?

Did i say something about core move titles?

You know when you buy ps3 they also give you dual shock ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Yes, I just realised that the Wii doesn't do the processing, because the Wiimote is the camera. But the Wiimote still needs to process where the sensor bar is, so that takes time. And it still needs to transmit this information wirelessly to the Wii, where the PS Eye has a wired connection. And I'm not sure on the specifics of how WM works, but wouldn't it still need to know the position of the sensor bar in three dimensions?

Processing where the Wii sensor bar is is done in hardware by the "camera"/infrared sensor in the Wii remote itself, so in practice this doesn't need any processing or increases lag. So the Wii Remote already sends the X/Y coordinate and light intensity of the infrared lights in the sensor bar, and using these values to calculate the X/Y position you're pointing at on the screen extremely simple.

And WiiMotion Plus does not need to know the position of the sensor bar. The problem of the original Wii Remote is that the only motion sensor it has is an acceleration sensor. And the biggest problem of these acceleration sensors is that they cannot detect rotation about the "vertical" axis at all (well, I mean the axis called "Z" in the following image)

This was a huge problem especially for the accuracy of games like table tennis. WiiMotion Plus solved this problem, as it adds a gyroscope which is capable of detecting such motions as well. There is no need for WiiMotion Plus to know where the sensor bar is, as the sensor bar is only used for pointing on screen anyway.

So with the WiiMotion Plus addon, the Wii is now capable of detecting relative rotation around the axis called "Z" in the above image. But unlike the Move controller, what it still cannot detect is absolute rotation around the "Z" axis. So for example, it doesn't really know if the front of your Wii Remote is pointing exactly towards the screen, in a right angle from the screen or exactly in the opposite direction of the screen. The Move controller knows this because it furthermore has an additional magnetic field sensor (which works like a compass), and that makes games like for example table tennis more realistic and accurate. And its the main reason why waggling still works in Wii Sports Resort table tennis.

So even without the additional camera/glowing sphere combination that slightly increases the lag the Move controller is way more accurate than a Wii Remote with a WiiMotion Plus addon. Don't use the camera and the glowing sphere in a PS move game, and the lag will be exactly as low (or even lower) than that of the Wii Remote, there will be no processing overhead and the Move controller would still be more powerful and accurate as a Wii Remote/WiiMotion plus combination.

Lafiel said:

I don't think so. The Wiimote itself uses accelerometer data, which without interpretation, is quite useless (compared to button presses) and additional to that the Wiimote is camera based as well, as every Wiimote has a 60Hz infra-red camera, which tracks the "sensor bar" (it doesn't have any sensors, it just has IR light sources) - without that the Wii wouldn't know whether or not the Wiimote is poiting at the TV.

So I can't imagine the Wiimote data to be "used as is", it has to processed and synchronized, especially when gyro data from Motion Plus is added to the equation.

Sure, strictly speaking you're of course right.

What I mean is that the sensor data your game receives is already final as soon as it enters the Wii, the Wii does not need to process and analyze the data before the input data is handed over to the game. Of course your game still has to interpret the sensor data it receives, which depending on the way you use motion controls can be extremely easy or more complicated.

But there is no need for the Wii to constantly analyze the images of a video stream, trying to detect the XYZ position of certain points in the image before that data is handed over to your game.

Rpruett said:
kfd056 said:
Rpruett said:
kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

Wow. That's not even really trolling, it's just lying.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

Which means 60 frames would be processed every second. Depending on how long the PS Eye actually takes to process the data (in fact, I think, but I'm not certain, that the PS3 still processes, unlike Kinect), that lag would be...miniscule. It's one extra dimension, so one extra co-ordinate, so...in theory, half as long again? Assuming, of course, that the PS3 and Wii processed at the same speed, which they don't.

So the technical side is still a mystery, but the fact remains that no recent reviews speak of any significant (game-breaking or visible) lag.

From Craig Harris (IGN.com)

"My only issue is the lag: there's definitely a millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation with Move and Sports Champions."

"That's where the Wii controller excels: there doesn't feel like there's any delay in its one-to-one motion."

What was that ?

That's a laughable at best.   A millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation?   I'm sure that just pains him to play Sports Champions.  That millisecond of delay!   Not shocking coming from the Team Nintendo guy though.

I can say one thing that I love about Move already that was absolutely pitiful with the Wii.  (When playing a game that might take me off 'screen' like say in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball), with Move I can play a full game without complete mess ups and lack of registry. 

lack of registry in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball) my ass. you cant tell me shit ! I have played the 3 point contest mode many times and i had no problems at all.

Another thing, Greg Miller said he would go with wii sports resort and he is a Sony boy so what's your point ?

Maybe you're  5'-5" IRL or something.  Try playing the 3 on 3 Basketball mode with a friend sometime and try a legitimate jump shot in the game.  It's absolutely terrible and disappointing.  It has what seems like a 50% success rate between messing up entirely or actually doing the action its supposed to.

I can't stand when I'm out of the sensor bar and it completely flubs my shot up.   It totally negates any benefits derived from that 'millisecond' of speed faster that it has.   *rolleyes*.

Furthermore,  I don't care about what he feels about Sports Champions, Personally I find it to be a lot of fun and more lasting fun (With the Gladiator, Bocce, Ping Pong) and I am able to actually enjoy playing it by myself or with a friend.   I can't say the same about Sports Resort which really was fun for an occasional round of Basketball, Golf , Bowling or Archery with a friend.  Beyond that, they could take all the other 'waggle' fest games back.

My only real complaint is I feel they could have just added certain sports that Sports Resort did relatively easy (Bowling, Basketball) or things like Baseball, Football  or had more Team Co-operative modes or even online play to the game.  Beyond that, I feel it is a better game overall than Sports Resort is with better controls overall.

I think it's just absolutely laughable that he feels that the Move is a 'millisecond' laggier than the Wii Motion Plus.  Such a small difference is practically indistinguishable in the given context and him making a point of it is just clearly setting down his Nintendo-colored flag, like we've seen so many other times.

Yes I played that mode too, I played it even more with friends than the 3 point contest. No problems.

Zero Suit Samus FTW!

Check my youtube channel out http://www.youtube.com/user/kfd056

The one and only time I played Wii I noticed lag. Or rather a perceptable delay between what I did with the Wiimote and what happened on screen. But that's OK, you can easily compensate for lag as long as it's not too long. When first playing the tennis game I tried to time my swing according to when I'd do it in real life, but on screen the swing would happen too late, so I compensated by starting the swing a fraction of a second early. No big deal. By all accounts the inherent Move lag is within acceptable tolerance, so people will easily compensate.

What annoyed me about the Wii was that it constantly interpreted movements incorrectly. I'd want to wind up for a swing at the ball (tennis) but it would interpret the wind up as the swing, thus the game would swing way earlier than I intended and I would flub the shot. Or I'd be in the forehand position and want to cross over to backhand and it would interpret my crossing over action as the shot, again swinging early and missing the shot. If Move eliminates that frustration then I'll have a lot more fun with it than I had with Wii.

And did you see the sexy legs on that table tennis chick? The Wii characters don't even have legs.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

lag? you mean like this?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

one is made by Sony and one isn't

/thread

on a side note: am i the only one happy about the thought that Move won't be successful, because god I hope it isn't, I really want this to have the same fate as the eye toy in the ps2 era, Sony sells to Gamers and it's where they do their best, and like with the eye toy I think we've showed Sony we DON'T want motion control, I'm afraid of Sony pulling a Nintendo next gen, so my money is on Move being ignored, which is looking likely

now if we can only get Call of Duty as a xbox exclusive.........

binary solo said:

The one and only time I played Wii I noticed lag. Or rather a perceptable delay between what I did with the Wiimote and what happened on screen. But that's OK, you can easily compensate for lag as long as it's not too long. When first playing the tennis game I tried to time my swing according to when I'd do it in real life, but on screen the swing would happen too late, so I compensated by starting the swing a fraction of a second early. No big deal. By all accounts the inherent Move lag is within acceptable tolerance, so people will easily compensate.

What annoyed me about the Wii was that it constantly interpreted movements incorrectly. I'd want to wind up for a swing at the ball (tennis) but it would interpret the wind up as the swing, thus the game would swing way earlier than I intended and I would flub the shot. Or I'd be in the forehand position and want to cross over to backhand and it would interpret my crossing over action as the shot, again swinging early and missing the shot. If Move eliminates that frustration then I'll have a lot more fun with it than I had with Wii.

And did you see the sexy legs on that table tennis chick? The Wii characters don't even have legs.

That's because it could only detect forehand and backhand swings. With motion plus it can register far more accurately than that old game and mote set-up.

ps. To al the berks that think the sensor is needed in game. It isn't. It is required to calibrate only. Once it has position on screen at the start of a contest at doesn't need to look at the sensor at all until it starts getting outta sync.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

wfz said:
ConnorJCP said:
wfz said:
ocean-1984 said:

I am on a limited connection so I'm unable to view that video, but are you able to merely flick your wrists to play Table Tennis? Or what kind of swing is necessary?

No it shows that you cant flick your wrist.

But I play real Table Tennis all the time and about half of my swings are wrist flicking.

So how is this more realistic? Errgg I wish I could watch the video to really understand it.

Not it shows that you cant just make your wrist have a spasm, and expect to get the ball on the table.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Wow. That's not even really trolling, it's just lying.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

Which means 60 frames would be processed every second. Depending on how long the PS Eye actually takes to process the data (in fact, I think, but I'm not certain, that the PS3 still processes, unlike Kinect), that lag would be...miniscule. It's one extra dimension, so one extra co-ordinate, so...in theory, half as long again? Assuming, of course, that the PS3 and Wii processed at the same speed, which they don't.

So the technical side is still a mystery, but the fact remains that no recent reviews speak of any significant (game-breaking or visible) lag.

From Craig Harris (IGN.com)

"My only issue is the lag: there's definitely a millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation with Move and Sports Champions."

"That's where the Wii controller excels: there doesn't feel like there's any delay in its one-to-one motion."

What was that ?

Thank God!
I mean i was worrying there until you showed everyone a quote of possibly one of the most Nintendo-bias people on IGN.
Nice save.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming