By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Different between Move and Wii?

In essence, Move looks at controller via camera, and Wii looks at sensor bar via camera in the controller. This means Move can "see" the position of the controller in X/Y space, and integrates angles and accelerations from the controller to determine pointing angle (i.e., good position detection, inferred angle). Wii can see exactly where the controller is pointing at the screen, and integrates sensor info for position (i.e., good angle detection, inferred position). So the Move is better for position-based games (e.g., Samba de Amigo) where Wii might struggle, and and Wii is better for pointer-based games (e.g., light-gun), where the Move will drift over time as it has no absolute angular reference.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

Wow. That's not even really trolling, it's just lying.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

From ArnoldRimmer:

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

It's far from being as bad as Kinect's lag (only 30Hz video and lots of processing required before the skeleton data can be delivered to the game), but when XYZ locating is used lag is indeed a bit higher than that of a Wii remote.

From me :

Yea what he said : )

Zero Suit Samus FTW!

Check my youtube channel out http://www.youtube.com/user/kfd056

Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

Wow. That's not even really trolling, it's just lying.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

Which means 60 frames would be processed every second. Depending on how long the PS Eye actually takes to process the data (in fact, I think, but I'm not certain, that the PS3 still processes, unlike Kinect), that lag would be...miniscule. It's one extra dimension, so one extra co-ordinate, so...in theory, half as long again? Assuming, of course, that the PS3 and Wii processed at the same speed, which they don't.

So the technical side is still a mystery, but the fact remains that no recent reviews speak of any significant (game-breaking or visible) lag.

From Craig Harris (IGN.com)

"My only issue is the lag: there's definitely a millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation with Move and Sports Champions."

"That's where the Wii controller excels: there doesn't feel like there's any delay in its one-to-one motion."

What was that ?

Zero Suit Samus FTW!

Check my youtube channel out http://www.youtube.com/user/kfd056

@maxwellGT2000 can you name me some more??? Im being dead serious cause I dont know any others, believe me Ive looked for them, I can only play Red Steel 2 so many times.

oniyide said:

@maxwellGT2000 can you name me some more??? Im being dead serious cause I dont know any others, believe me Ive looked for them, I can only play Red Steel 2 so many times.

Off the top of my head, NHL 2K series, Grand Slam Tennis, Avatar the Game, Virtua Tennis, Dynamic Slash, Shaun White, and a couple of Wii Ware games like Rage of the Gladiator and Shadowplay.

Off Topic but related: Red Steel 2 is a boring and bland... and if you use that as a measure of the accuracy of the WM of course you'd think it's poor.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
ConnorJCP said:
wfz said:
ocean-1984 said:

I am on a limited connection so I'm unable to view that video, but are you able to merely flick your wrists to play Table Tennis? Or what kind of swing is necessary?

No it shows that you cant flick your wrist.

But I play real Table Tennis all the time and about half of my swings are wrist flicking.

So how is this more realistic? Errgg I wish I could watch the video to really understand it.

@maxwellGT2000  ok not really interested in those but I do stand corrected. IMO I found RS2 to be fun and accurate, way more than RS1 was but I guess we have different taste in gaming cause I would personally never touch any of those games you mentioned with an eight foot pole except for Virtua Tennis, think thats a SEGA game

oniyide said:

@maxwellGT2000  ok not really interested in those but I do stand corrected. IMO I found RS2 to be fun and accurate, way more than RS1 was but I guess we have different taste in gaming cause I would personally never touch any of those games you mentioned with an eight foot pole except for Virtua Tennis, think thats a SEGA game

Virtua Tennis is meh too, Dynamic Slash is where it's at.  Grand Slam I hear is fun but you have to learn how to play it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I dont even know what a Dynamic Slash is but i will look it up.

quetzal_NZ said:

In essence, Move looks at controller via camera, and Wii looks at sensor bar via camera in the controller. This means Move can "see" the position of the controller in X/Y space, and integrates angles and accelerations from the controller to determine pointing angle (i.e., good position detection, inferred angle). Wii can see exactly where the controller is pointing at the screen, and integrates sensor info for position (i.e., good angle detection, inferred position). So the Move is better for position-based games (e.g., Samba de Amigo) where Wii might struggle, and and Wii is better for pointer-based games (e.g., light-gun), where the Move will drift over time as it has no absolute angular reference.

I think you are wrong here.

The move  can point to anywhere on the screen and out of the screen, because the camera will still be able to "see" the controller.

But on wiimote no...you have to always point in the direction of the screen, if you just happens to point out, the console stops tracking the controller.

So far, i don't see any advantages of the wiimote over the Move.