By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Different between Move and Wii?

kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

Wow. That's not even really trolling, it's just lying.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

Which means 60 frames would be processed every second. Depending on how long the PS Eye actually takes to process the data (in fact, I think, but I'm not certain, that the PS3 still processes, unlike Kinect), that lag would be...miniscule. It's one extra dimension, so one extra co-ordinate, so...in theory, half as long again? Assuming, of course, that the PS3 and Wii processed at the same speed, which they don't.

So the technical side is still a mystery, but the fact remains that no recent reviews speak of any significant (game-breaking or visible) lag.

From Craig Harris (IGN.com)

"My only issue is the lag: there's definitely a millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation with Move and Sports Champions."

"That's where the Wii controller excels: there doesn't feel like there's any delay in its one-to-one motion."

What was that ?

There's one small thing being glossed over: EVERY controller has lag. No exceptions. Some of it is just not perceivable because of rendering speeds. I'll take an NES controller- the lag from the button press to the system was about 3 milliseconds (0.003s). Then it needs to call the command for the button, which takes a few more milliseconds. But, at 30 FPS, the NES had about ~0.03s (~30ms) before it had to draw the next image. Everything was processed before this interval was up, so the next frame could account for this, creating no visible lag.

Enter today's market. The PS3 has a push for some games to be 60 FPS, effectively halving the time to draw an image (~15 ms, ~0.015s). The wire on the PSEye still has that 3 ms delay, plus there are now added delays from your motion to the camera, plus the system having to process and call the command for the motion data. This, in addition to having to call any button press commands, which come through on a seperate input. Apparently, this led to a greater delay than 0.03 seconds, or more than 1 frame, thus, the ability to perceive the lag. The Wiimote, with fewer inputs for control (all through the controller, rather than controller/camera hybrid), coupled with the controller itself getting light data from the sensor bar, reduces the window for lag. But the basics, like the input delay, the call function delay, and the need to process the extra data, like the gyroscope at X-0.1034 Y-0.0143, the light bar sensor angle difference, whether it is processed by the Wiimote or the Wii itself, all add to the lag. Whether it is sufficient enough to create noticable delay, I can't say for certain, since I don't have the data for input delays for this gen.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network
dunno001 said:
kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Basically, PS move has slight lag and Wiimotion Plus doesnt have. Hope that answers your questions.

Firstly, every control input has lag, and secondly, Move's lag is no higher than that of WM .

Actually, it is.

If you take the lag of the Move controller alone then you're right, the lag should be pretty much exactly as high/low as a Wii Remote.

But since probably all games use the feature of locating the XYZ position of the controller by the use of the glowing ball and the camera, the lag is indeed a bit higher, because the video from the PS Eye comes in at only 60Hz and must be analyzed for glowing spheres before the XYZ location can be reported to the game.

Would be interesting to know if games that do not need XYZ location can turn this feature off to reduce lag and processing overhead.

Which means 60 frames would be processed every second. Depending on how long the PS Eye actually takes to process the data (in fact, I think, but I'm not certain, that the PS3 still processes, unlike Kinect), that lag would be...miniscule. It's one extra dimension, so one extra co-ordinate, so...in theory, half as long again? Assuming, of course, that the PS3 and Wii processed at the same speed, which they don't.

So the technical side is still a mystery, but the fact remains that no recent reviews speak of any significant (game-breaking or visible) lag.

"My only issue is the lag: there's definitely a millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation with Move and Sports Champions."

"That's where the Wii controller excels: there doesn't feel like there's any delay in its one-to-one motion."

What was that ?

There's one small thing being glossed over: EVERY controller has lag. No exceptions. Some of it is just not perceivable because of rendering speeds. I'll take an NES controller- the lag from the button press to the system was about 3 milliseconds (0.003s). Then it needs to call the command for the button, which takes a few more milliseconds. But, at 30 FPS, the NES had about ~0.03s (~30ms) before it had to draw the next image. Everything was processed before this interval was up, so the next frame could account for this, creating no visible lag.

Enter today's market. The PS3 has a push for some games to be 60 FPS, effectively halving the time to draw an image (~15 ms, ~0.015s). The wire on the PSEye still has that 3 ms delay, plus there are now added delays from your motion to the camera, plus the system having to process and call the command for the motion data. This, in addition to having to call any button press commands, which come through on a seperate input. Apparently, this led to a greater delay than 0.03 seconds, or more than 1 frame, thus, the ability to perceive the lag. The Wiimote, with fewer inputs for control (all through the controller, rather than controller/camera hybrid), coupled with the controller itself getting light data from the sensor bar, reduces the window for lag. But the basics, like the input delay, the call function delay, and the need to process the extra data, like the gyroscope at X-0.1034 Y-0.0143, the light bar sensor angle difference, whether it is processed by the Wiimote or the Wii itself, all add to the lag. Whether it is sufficient enough to create noticable delay, I can't say for certain, since I don't have the data for input delays for this gen.

But visible lag actually affects  gameplay, cause as you said it takes longer, which in turn means it's a more delayed reaction, from what I've played so far it is indeed noticeable and can hurt things when you're doing faster movements.  How this will work out in the long run remains to be seen however.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

oniyide said:

@maxwellGT2000  ok not really interested in those but I do stand corrected. IMO I found RS2 to be fun and accurate, way more than RS1 was but I guess we have different taste in gaming cause I would personally never touch any of those games you mentioned with an eight foot pole except for Virtua Tennis, think thats a SEGA game

True, I think Red Steel 2 has good control but it doesn't make good use of Motion Plus.  It doesn't even approach, nor does it try to be, 1:1, which is what I think maxwellGT2000 was getting at.

kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Actually, it is.

What was that ?

That's a laughable at best.   A millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation?   I'm sure that just pains him to play Sports Champions.  That millisecond of delay!   Not shocking coming from the Team Nintendo guy though.

I can say one thing that I love about Move already that was absolutely pitiful with the Wii.  (When playing a game that might take me off 'screen' like say in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball), with Move I can play a full game without complete mess ups and lack of registry. 

Rpruett said:
kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Actually, it is.

What was that ?

That's a laughable at best.   A millisecond delay between your hand and the on-screen representation?   I'm sure that just pains him to play Sports Champions.  That millisecond of delay!   Not shocking coming from the Team Nintendo guy though.

I can say one thing that I love about Move already that was absolutely pitiful with the Wii.  (When playing a game that might take me off 'screen' like say in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball), with Move I can play a full game without complete mess ups and lack of registry. 

lack of registry in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball) my ass. you cant tell me shit ! I have played the 3 point contest mode many times and i had no problems at all.

Another thing, Greg Miller said he would go with wii sports resort and he is a Sony boy so what's your point ?

Zero Suit Samus FTW!

Check my youtube channel out http://www.youtube.com/user/kfd056

Around the Network
kfd056 said:
Rpruett said:
kfd056 said:
Kantor said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:
kfd056 said:

Actually, it is.

What was that ?

lack of registry in Wii Sports Resort (Basketball) my ass. you cant tell me shit ! I have played the 3 point contest mode many times and i had no problems at all.

Another thing, Greg Miller said he would go with wii sports resort and he is a Sony boy so what's your point ?

Maybe you're  5'-5" IRL or something.  Try playing the 3 on 3 Basketball mode with a friend sometime and try a legitimate jump shot in the game.  It's absolutely terrible and disappointing.  It has what seems like a 50% success rate between messing up entirely or actually doing the action its supposed to.

I can't stand when I'm out of the sensor bar and it completely flubs my shot up.   It totally negates any benefits derived from that 'millisecond' of speed faster that it has.   *rolleyes*.

Furthermore,  I don't care about what he feels about Sports Champions, Personally I find it to be a lot of fun and more lasting fun (With the Gladiator, Bocce, Ping Pong) and I am able to actually enjoy playing it by myself or with a friend.   I can't say the same about Sports Resort which really was fun for an occasional round of Basketball, Golf , Bowling or Archery with a friend.  Beyond that, they could take all the other 'waggle' fest games back.

My only real complaint is I feel they could have just added certain sports that Sports Resort did relatively easy (Bowling, Basketball) or things like Baseball, Football  or had more Team Co-operative modes or even online play to the game.  Beyond that, I feel it is a better game overall than Sports Resort is with better controls overall.

I think it's just absolutely laughable that he feels that the Move is a 'millisecond' laggier than the Wii Motion Plus.  Such a small difference is practically indistinguishable in the given context and him making a point of it is just clearly setting down his Nintendo-colored flag, like we've seen so many other times.

ConnorJCP said:
wfz said:
ocean-1984 said:

I am on a limited connection so I'm unable to view that video, but are you able to merely flick your wrists to play Table Tennis? Or what kind of swing is necessary?

No it shows that you cant flick your wrist.

you do know that is it just programming? it was designed for flicking wrists because non gamers would play this and jsut want to swing any old how to have fun with others. 

Look at Tiger Woods 11, they had to tone down the precision because it was to real and hard to play for non golfers. EA complained about the precision of WMPLus

Squilliam said:

You guys have all got it wrong!

The difference is in the games.

The Wii has games.

Thats the difference.

You are right it's all about games.

That's why ps3 wins  like Mike Tyson versus paper weight boxer-  it has great library of core titles spanning among all genres and allows developer to use move only in games where it's beneficial.

That's before we get started on superior graphics, online not requiring friend codes and all the other "it does everything" stuff.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

ArnoldRimmer said:
Kantor said:

The Wii does not need any processing of the incoming data, the data can be instantly used as soon as it arrives in the Wii, just like standard controllers.

Both Kinect and Move however need the console to analyze incoming images and extract some information from the images before that information can be used by games. The 360 also processes by the way - the original "Project Natal" hardware shown at E3 2009 Kinect worked at 60Hz and the processing was done by special processors built into the Kinect hardware, but to reduce costs it's only 30Hz now and all processing is done by the 360 (which is the reason why lag was almost nonexistant at E3 2009, but is very noticable now).

But while lag is indeed a bit higher than on the Wii, I totally agree that Move's lag is stil so low that it's almost impossible to notice for humans, and that's all that counts in my opinion.

Uhm...

I don't think so. The Wiimote itself uses accelerometer data, which without interpretation, is quite useless (compared to button presses) and additional to that the Wiimote is camera based as well, as every Wiimote has a 60Hz infra-red camera, which tracks the "sensor bar" (it doesn't have any sensors, it just has IR light sources) - without that the Wii wouldn't know whether or not the Wiimote is poiting at the TV.

So I can't imagine the Wiimote data to be "used as is", it has to processed and synchronized, especially when gyro data from Motion Plus is added to the equation.

Zlejedi said:
Squilliam said:

You guys have all got it wrong!

The difference is in the games.

The Wii has games.

Thats the difference.

You are right it's all about games.

That's why ps3 wins  like Mike Tyson versus paper weight boxer-  it has great library of core titles spanning among all genres and allows developer to use move only in games where it's beneficial.

I'm sorry, but can you advice me, what 'great library of core titles' for Move it really has now?