By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Any initial reports on PS3 MOVE sales?? anecdotal surveys/reports/incidence

NYANKS said:

Again, maybe they decided going that route was more cost effective than advertising all over the place.  They have said that they're aiming for this to be an evergreen like thing, not massive out of the gate and then stall.  I haven't felt smother by Move advertising aside from your NFL thing, have you?  I mean, this isn't the Halo 3 camapign.  I couldn't use a t.v. for more than 8 seconds without seeing Master Chief shooting someone in the face.
controller

In all fairness, Halo Reach is a game whereas move is essentially a controller. Halo games tend to be heavily frontloaded while controllers continue to sell consistently through the life of the console, assuming software support remains consistent as well.

But SCE does have to at least let general consumers know about Move (considering that these are the consumers SCE is presumably hoping to target), as future move compatible games will ultimately dictate sales with very few buying any game that's Move compatible simply because it lets them use their new controllers (publishers will get away with selling some poor Move titles initially for this very reason though).

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Squilliam said:

Given the above talk about Kinect sales/marketing. From what I can figure they probably won't make any money on Kinect even if they sell to their projections of 3M or more by the end of the year. The marketing expenditure is massive, from what I can recall it was over 50M in additional marketing expenditure in the last quarter alone and most of that was Kinect related.

Anyway back to Move.

I don't think early sales matter so much whether they are large, medium or small in the short run. Over the longer term it does matter significantly more and as always their actions IMO are setting themselves up for 2011 rather than a strong finish to 2010. They need positive word of mouth moreso than Microsoft or Nintendo at this point. This is the reason why they priced their accessory to sell to current PS3 owners whereas Microsoft positioned Kinect best with new Xbox 360 owners with their $299 bundle.

I don't think MS is selling Kinect peripherals at anything even approaching a loss. I know there's been quite a bit of talk from them as to how much they cost to produce, but my gut tells me they would actually be making a pretty tidy profit on each unit sold were it not for averaged per unit marketing costs, which as you've pointed out have been pretty huge.

I can't think of anything that any game company has promoted so heavily with special preview events, etc. since Wii Fit. And Kinect promotional efforts have easily outstripped what Nintendo spend promoting Wii Fit so far.

Im not saying that:

Kinect = $110 ASP - $120 manufacturing costs etc = loss of $10 per unit.

Im saying that:

Kinect = $110 ASP *3M units plus games = ~$600M overall revenue or thereabouts and then you take away $200M in marketing, $100M in product development, $100M research and development and $200M physical hardware costs or thereabouts = roughly break even.

Im just saying that their profit point is early 2011 even though they are likely to sell a lot of units in 2010. In many ways the cost of Kinect is actually beside the point when talking about Microsofts profitability in Q4.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
greenmedic88 said:
Squilliam said:

Given the above talk about Kinect sales/marketing. From what I can figure they probably won't make any money on Kinect even if they sell to their projections of 3M or more by the end of the year. The marketing expenditure is massive, from what I can recall it was over 50M in additional marketing expenditure in the last quarter alone and most of that was Kinect related.

Anyway back to Move.

I don't think early sales matter so much whether they are large, medium or small in the short run. Over the longer term it does matter significantly more and as always their actions IMO are setting themselves up for 2011 rather than a strong finish to 2010. They need positive word of mouth moreso than Microsoft or Nintendo at this point. This is the reason why they priced their accessory to sell to current PS3 owners whereas Microsoft positioned Kinect best with new Xbox 360 owners with their $299 bundle.

I don't think MS is selling Kinect peripherals at anything even approaching a loss. I know there's been quite a bit of talk from them as to how much they cost to produce, but my gut tells me they would actually be making a pretty tidy profit on each unit sold were it not for averaged per unit marketing costs, which as you've pointed out have been pretty huge.

I can't think of anything that any game company has promoted so heavily with special preview events, etc. since Wii Fit. And Kinect promotional efforts have easily outstripped what Nintendo spend promoting Wii Fit so far.

Im not saying that:

Kinect = $110 ASP - $120 manufacturing costs etc = loss of $10 per unit.

Im saying that:

Kinect = $110 ASP *3M units plus games = ~$600M overall revenue or thereabouts and then you take away $200M in marketing, $100M in product development, $100M research and development and $200M physical hardware costs or thereabouts = roughly break even.

Im just saying that their profit point is early 2011 even though they are likely to sell a lot of units in 2010. In many ways the cost of Kinect is actually beside the point when talking about Microsofts profitability in Q4.

I'm sure they're already making a pretty tidy profit on the current 360 models between the single chip GPU/CPU and other component reductions. I don't know if it's high enough for them to currently announce say a $50 price drop across their entire bundle catalog line up, but they are definitely cheaper to produce than the previous models.

Regardless, I think that even with the effective $50 "discount" on Kinect when bundled with a console, MS is still selling those bundles at a decent profit over production/shipping cost, meaning they could probably sell the standalone Kinect kit for under $100 ($99) at a profit. Not factoring in averaged, per unit initial marketing campaign, R&D, etc. costs.

i played MOVE earlier today it is the bomb

I went to a gamestop earlier today around 2:00 pm and they had several move units available.

( I bought Tiger Woods 11 and a move wand)

I then went to Best Buy where they had a huge table set up promoting move right in the front (this was around 8:00 pm) and they had sold completely out of the Move Bundles, the standalone move controllers, and even the charge bases for the Moves.

The reason I went there was to buy Sports Champions, which I did. But I still wanted another Move controller.

So I went to Gamestop, (8:30 pm) where they had a tv set up with sports champions and two of the move wands glowing with people looking. They also had a kiosk attached to a wall where people could learn about Move games. Here I asked the clerk for a move wand and they were sold out as well.

SHIT!

I then went to Walmart where I finally found a 2nd Move so I could play Sports Champions properly.

And let me tell all of you, Sports Champions is very very fun with 2 move controllers. I played the game with my girlfriend for about 3 hours once we got home. We were seriously loving it. It all worked very well.

And 3 days after Halo was gutsy, but people walk into Best buy to buy Halo, and see the giant Move stand right next to it, and it peeks their interest. It is free advertising in a way.

Also; at Best Buy I saw 2 other people ask where the move controllers were after I did, just to find it was SOLD OUT.

SOLD OUT!!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
Nomad Blue said:

There are a few places sold out here (NZ), online and B&M stores, but that could be because they understocked/had a small shipment.  Quite a few stores are pushing it though with plenty of in-store advertising, plus online(landing page) and TV advertising.

A few more stores are sold out now, one of the larger/more popular ones, which had some on display yesterday, had only the charging stations left.  Spoke to someone there who said that Sony had only sent them half their order, so they only had enough for their pre-orders and about 20-odd for shopfloor.  Looks like Sony underestimated demand, and shuffled their deliveries to make sure pre-orders were met plus some extra where available.

I walked past my Gamestation (Lincolnshire), and whilst it's a large shop in a medium-sized town, it still had plenty of Move controllers left. I asked them about how many Moves they had sold, and they were reluctant to say that only 3 were sold up until I had asked (12 Noon). Whilst this may seem early, you must also remember that they were planning a midnight launch, but it was cancelled due to bad weather and a lack of support. My estimates would be around 250K first week WW.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

greenmedic88 said:
Reasonable said:
Rainbird said:
Reasonable said:

I got mine from Amazon so no idea about in store situations.  I can only note that Move has steadily climbed amazon top sellers in UK until I think it hit number 2 behind Reach (for the bundle).

So far so fun - Sports Champions seems decent and I'm just working my way through the various demos with my kids.  Tumble seems very good from the demo.  Seems very responsive and it's interesting to rotate the Move in your hand and see your racquet or whatever rotate right with it.

I got a sub-controller but haven't had to actually use it yet so no idea how it feels to use.

I recommend Beat Sketcher. It's pretty shallow, but still entertaining. R.U.S.E., Heavy Rain and echochrome ii also showcase Move controls done well, but most of the other demoes didn't do it for me.

Yeah, I've downloaded it.  Actually I downloaded all the Move demos apart from the Quiz Show thing.  I just haven't got around to it yet.  I'll maybe try and post some impressions when I've had time to play through them all.

As an aside, what's around currently that uses Move and a sub-controller?  I got one and now I'm wondering whether it's going to gather dust until Sorcery comes out or I get RE5:Gold.

The sub-con is used in Heavy Rain (still need to move your character around).

As far as the initial launch titles (the $40 Move exclusive ones), I don't think any of them use it.

I played with a DS3 and Move and have to say, while the sub-con is more comfortable for one-handed use, a lot of the backlash against the DS3/Move set up was pretty much an overreaction. It works fine.

I'm going to pick up a copy of RE5 Gold later this month. It's probably the best suited game for the sub-con/Move set up.

I just went through most of the initial demos (Sports Champions, Racket Sports, Eye Pet, Kung Fu Rider) and have to say that I won't be spending $40 on any of those. They're not horrible per se, but unless you really want to use your new controllers for more than just control patches on back catalog games, none of them were terribly compelling titles. Sports Champions and Racket Sports are decent party games and Eye Pet naturally is custom tailored for small children.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the patch for HR.  I'll also pick up RE5:Gold.  I agree on the dual shock.  I tried it and it works fine.  For longer sessions or if you're seriously going to want to use Move for Socom or the like I would advise the sub-controller but it's for sure not needed.

Sports Champions (maybe Start the Party) are the only retail titles that make sense for me.  SC is very good with two controllers and good with one.  But, some of the events feel a little weak next to the best ones.  For me it's worth it just for the table tennis, which is great.

Start the party I don't like much myself but know just from the demo my kids, my neighbours kids and other kids in our street all loved.  The augmented reality was the selling point rather than the actual games.  Eyepet as you say is a no-brainer for kids.

Personally, if I was Sony I would have combined SC and Start the Party into a single title, which would have been a much more compelling draw I think, covering both the fun party angle and the Wii Sports angle in one fell swoop.  I guess they're hoping to cast a wider net this way (and make a bit more money from two titles) but I think offering both combined would have been a lot more compelling to consumers.

Tumble is very good from PSN I think, if you like that sort of thing.  The only other demo that impressed was Echochrome (spelling?  I think I'm forgetting it's title, anyway, Echo something...).

The rest is a bit meh but I guess that was to be expected.

I have found using move on the menu's suprisingly easy.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

wandering if we will get some news about the sales from Sony on Monday? although Sony rarely tell about its sales...

The controllers would sell as a lot of gamers have the pseye alread. It is the casuals who would move the console bundle and that would take time.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies