By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Any initial reports on PS3 MOVE sales?? anecdotal surveys/reports/incidence

NYANKS said:

Again, maybe they decided going that route was more cost effective than advertising all over the place.  They have said that they're aiming for this to be an evergreen like thing, not massive out of the gate and then stall.  I haven't felt smother by Move advertising aside from your NFL thing, have you?  I mean, this isn't the Halo 3 camapign.  I couldn't use a t.v. for more than 8 seconds without seeing Master Chief shooting someone in the face.

I've seen quite a bit outside of NFL games too. They aren't holding back on buying advertising IMO.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
Euphoria14 said:
Grimes said:

It's a lot more than one ad. I've seen them on every NFL broadcast I've watched. That's big money.

Serious question here since I am trying to find it but am having zero luck. 

How much does it cost for a regular season game as opposed to say, a cameo role in a hit TV series?

When I look up ad costs for Football games the only one ever mentioned as being incredibly expensive is the Super Bowl.

I don't know, but the season opener had the second highest ratings ever for a regular season game with 23 million viewers. To compare, the Lost finale had about half that amount. 

I was referring to the cost between the Football commercial and the Kinect cameo on Entourage, not to mention them advertising as far back as February with the then named "Project Natal" making an appearance on SmallVille.

It is clear that one is spending much more than the other when it comes to advertisements. The whole Kinect Tour thing that started right after E3 shows as much and they are still advertising it all over while still being 1 1/2 months away.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Given the above talk about Kinect sales/marketing. From what I can figure they probably won't make any money on Kinect even if they sell to their projections of 3M or more by the end of the year. The marketing expenditure is massive, from what I can recall it was over 50M in additional marketing expenditure in the last quarter alone and most of that was Kinect related.

Anyway back to Move.

I don't think early sales matter so much whether they are large, medium or small in the short run. Over the longer term it does matter significantly more and as always their actions IMO are setting themselves up for 2011 rather than a strong finish to 2010. They need positive word of mouth moreso than Microsoft or Nintendo at this point. This is the reason why they priced their accessory to sell to current PS3 owners whereas Microsoft positioned Kinect best with new Xbox 360 owners with their $299 bundle.

Tease.

I called around very many retailers that I considered within reasonable driving distance (about an hour each way) yesterday and though a few places had 1 or 2 left they were all on hold for staff. So I couldn't get one. As is mentioned by others on here though I havbe no idea of initial shipment size but the fact that everyone has sold out would seem to bode well for sales, Next shipment is apparently due monday.

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

Funny.

Pepole with MS stats in their sig show negative ancedotal evidence.

Pepole with PSN stats show positive evidence.

I say wait for ioi :)

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Another problem with Move for retailers is there is so much sh*t that needs to be ordered. Unlike the Wii Motion Plus or Kinect which only have a couple SKUs, the Move requires multiple SKUs to be ordered on the part of the retailer. They have to not only order the kits, but also controllers, sub-controllers and bundles. Plus it's difficult to anticipate the demand for each of those SKUs. So I can see why they would be conservative in ordering.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Reasonable said:
Rainbird said:
Reasonable said:

I got mine from Amazon so no idea about in store situations.  I can only note that Move has steadily climbed amazon top sellers in UK until I think it hit number 2 behind Reach (for the bundle).

So far so fun - Sports Champions seems decent and I'm just working my way through the various demos with my kids.  Tumble seems very good from the demo.  Seems very responsive and it's interesting to rotate the Move in your hand and see your racquet or whatever rotate right with it.

I got a sub-controller but haven't had to actually use it yet so no idea how it feels to use.

I recommend Beat Sketcher. It's pretty shallow, but still entertaining. R.U.S.E., Heavy Rain and echochrome ii also showcase Move controls done well, but most of the other demoes didn't do it for me.

Yeah, I've downloaded it.  Actually I downloaded all the Move demos apart from the Quiz Show thing.  I just haven't got around to it yet.  I'll maybe try and post some impressions when I've had time to play through them all.

As an aside, what's around currently that uses Move and a sub-controller?  I got one and now I'm wondering whether it's going to gather dust until Sorcery comes out or I get RE5:Gold.

The sub-con is used in Heavy Rain (still need to move your character around).

As far as the initial launch titles (the $40 Move exclusive ones), I don't think any of them use it.

I played with a DS3 and Move and have to say, while the sub-con is more comfortable for one-handed use, a lot of the backlash against the DS3/Move set up was pretty much an overreaction. It works fine.

I'm going to pick up a copy of RE5 Gold later this month. It's probably the best suited game for the sub-con/Move set up.

I just went through most of the initial demos (Sports Champions, Racket Sports, Eye Pet, Kung Fu Rider) and have to say that I won't be spending $40 on any of those. They're not horrible per se, but unless you really want to use your new controllers for more than just control patches on back catalog games, none of them were terribly compelling titles. Sports Champions and Racket Sports are decent party games and Eye Pet naturally is custom tailored for small children.

Grimes said:

Another problem with Move for retailers is there is so much sh*t that needs to be ordered. Unlike the Wii Motion Plus or Kinect which only have a couple SKUs, the Move requires multiple SKUs to be ordered on the part of the retailer. They have to not only order the kits, but also controllers, sub-controllers and bundles. Plus it's difficult to anticipate the demand for each of those SKUs. So I can see why they would be conservative in ordering.

I would imagine a lot of retailers order the Move and sub-con like regular DS3 controllers, which means they'll probably be running in and out of stock during the initial run of Move until sales normalize.

It's really no different from ordering Wii controller/Nunchuck/Motion Plus SKUs.

PSEye orders were probably left the same, with Move Starter Packs likely being ordered similarly to standalone games without peripherals needed to play.

It'll be interesting to see how the Move/320GB bundles sell although it seems unlikely that retailers ordered them in numbers any higher than the regular 160/320GB SKUs.

Squilliam said:

Given the above talk about Kinect sales/marketing. From what I can figure they probably won't make any money on Kinect even if they sell to their projections of 3M or more by the end of the year. The marketing expenditure is massive, from what I can recall it was over 50M in additional marketing expenditure in the last quarter alone and most of that was Kinect related.

Anyway back to Move.

I don't think early sales matter so much whether they are large, medium or small in the short run. Over the longer term it does matter significantly more and as always their actions IMO are setting themselves up for 2011 rather than a strong finish to 2010. They need positive word of mouth moreso than Microsoft or Nintendo at this point. This is the reason why they priced their accessory to sell to current PS3 owners whereas Microsoft positioned Kinect best with new Xbox 360 owners with their $299 bundle.

I don't think MS is selling Kinect peripherals at anything even approaching a loss. I know there's been quite a bit of talk from them as to how much they cost to produce, but my gut tells me they would actually be making a pretty tidy profit on each unit sold were it not for averaged per unit marketing costs, which as you've pointed out have been pretty huge.

I can't think of anything that any game company has promoted so heavily with special preview events, etc. since Wii Fit. And Kinect promotional efforts have easily outstripped what Nintendo spend promoting Wii Fit so far.

It's going to be a very slow weekend for all reatil in North America, because of Yom Kippur which  begins on the 17th and ends on the 19th. In the mall i work some Jewish holidays tend to be slow.