By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PlayStation Move Ad Hits The Wii Right Where It Hurts

MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

Wow, the guys who made that ad should be fired.

...Or, the 2nd type of ad is one that does nothing but display your company logo and product in a memorable way. If this ad ever, ever features any logo, product or anything associated with a competitor, fire the people who made it easily.

It's worked wonders for Mac... right?  I mean they're the worlds leading computer OS company

You're actually right though marketing where you've got attitude and you're "better" than the competitors limits your appeal to the segment of the competitors audience that is either not satisfied or curious.  PS3 and 360 have done well for themselves compared to 2nd and 3rd place consoles of the past cause they've provided something different and marketed themselves as such. 

You're not appealing to your competitors audience rather the audience that your competitor isn't already appealing to IE new customers.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your point. The Mac add didn't mention windows, or any other manufacturer of hardware or software besides apple (or was I meant to know who the guy on the screen was?)

Around the Network
scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

...Or, the 2nd type of ad is one that does nothing but display your company logo and product in a memorable way. If this ad ever, ever features any logo, product or anything associated with a competitor, fire the people who made it easily.

It's worked wonders for Mac... right?  I mean they're the worlds leading computer OS company

You're actually right though marketing where you've got attitude and you're "better" than the competitors limits your appeal to the segment of the competitors audience that is either not satisfied or curious.  PS3 and 360 have done well for themselves compared to 2nd and 3rd place consoles of the past cause they've provided something different and marketed themselves as such. 

You're not appealing to your competitors audience rather the audience that your competitor isn't already appealing to IE new customers.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your point. The Mac add didn't mention windows, or any other manufacturer of hardware or software besides apple (or was I meant to know who the guy on the screen was?)

Not really that commercial just the example of where their fall started, they're not out right attacking anyone but they're essentially trying to say anyone that doesn't go Mac is a sheep/zombie/unoriginal/what have you, but recent commercials outright attacks Windows, with the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, before that they had "consumers" talk about PC complaints that wasn't on Mac like how it "never crashed".

On the other end of that example Microsoft puts out ads and pretends competitors don't exist, if you watch their commercials you wouldn't know Mac existed, which is smart marketing to be honest.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

Not really that commercial just the example of where their fall started, they're not out right attacking anyone but they're essentially trying to say anyone that doesn't go Mac is a sheep/zombie/unoriginal/what have you, but recent commercials outright attacks Windows, with the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, before that they had "consumers" talk about PC complaints that wasn't on Mac like how it "never crashed".

On the other end of that example Microsoft puts out ads and pretends competitors don't exist, if you watch their commercials you wouldn't know Mac existed, which is smart marketing to be honest.

Oh, right, I get you now :)

I'd always been under the impression that that add was a resounding success

It won

Sorry for links and stuff, I obviously copy pasted this from wiki
I also think that the fall of Apple is too far from 1984 to really attribute it to that commercial.
1984 was the release of their first macintosh, and the add in question
1986 represents the period of rapid growth of market share
1990 is the period of Apple's peak marketshare "The magazine MacAddict has named the period between 1989 and 1991 as the "first golden age" of the Macintosh."
And then it's downhill from 1990 onwards (until 2001 when it started to slow increase again)

Addendum - yeah, I'm not entirely convinced by the "I'm a mac" "Im a pc"ads. They have the same problem that the ad in the OP does, in that they give the competitor as much air time as their own product. However, some of them count for what I was originally talking about

- "It either needs to present your customer with information and a reasoned argument. With this sort of ad, you are allowed to feature competitors, as long as you provide customers with a reason why your product is better - Price comparisons are a good example." 

scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

Oh, right, I get you now :)

I'd always been under the impression that that add was a resounding success

It won

Sorry for links and stuff, I obviously copy pasted this from wiki
I also think that the fall of Apple is too far from 1984 to really attribute it to that commercial.
1984 was the release of their first macintosh, and the add in question
1986 represents the period of rapid growth of market share
1990 is the period of Apple's peak marketshare "The magazine MacAddict has named the period between 1989 and 1991 as the "first golden age" of the Macintosh."
And then it's downhill from 1990 onwards (until 2001 when it started to slow increase again)

Yeah that commercial is iconic and they were on top at the time but it always seems like when you're on top, start calling yourself the best and putting others down, you end up falling, and when you fall you keep at that sort of tactic which doesn't put you above your competitor but rather take customers from their base which helps some.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

^ I would argue that Apple fell from the top due to bringing out a series of shitty products around the time of their fall, rather than marketing issues.

That said, activision are bringing out a lot of shitty products, so hopefully they'll fall too.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

You do realize in that ad they are attacking another company right?
They were trying to have a shot at IBM, which failed.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

ConnorJCP said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
scottie said:

You do realize in that ad they are attacking another company right?
They were trying to have a shot at IBM, which failed.

Yes I know they were putting down IBM but not outright stating it was IBM they were attacking, there were a few other home computer companies at the time as well, that commercial pretty much covered them all.

Ajescent said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

So Sony fans are filthy drifters who are such obsessed fanboys that they have nightmares about Miis?  And they only like Move because it's their chance to fight back at what Nintendo's been doing since 2006?  Seems more like an insult than an advertisement.

When Sports Champions outsells Wii Sports Resort due to the great advertisements like this, I'll eat a whole blog.

I hope you are aware that the Ad is unofficial i.e not by Sony right?

but it obviosly DID hit him where it hurts, so mission acomplished

So Nintendo and MS are in favour of hydrocephaly or rickets and Sony is against them... Interesting.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!