By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSOne console sold 130 million!

Look, Sony's PS1 numbers include PSone. The ( ) at the bottom of the Sony production shipment page is a subset of PS1 not additional figures. Sony did the same thing with PS2 Slims out of the PS2 total, Nintendo does the same thing with GBC out of GB and DSi out of DS.

Game Spot doesnt know a damn thing. There just haven't been 377m Playstations shipped yet.

These are the figures through June 2010:

Its 102.5m for PS1 (Figures are through March 2007 - PS1 didnt ship 30m over the last three years - even PS2 barely did and its a far younger platform. Sony specifically says it 28m of the 102.5m PS1s were PSones and shipments didnt increase in 2006-2007)

Its 146.1m for PS2 (136 shipped as of Dec 2008 according to this and this, about 10m shipped since. You get the same figure using a similar press release citing March 2009 figures)

Its 62.7m for PSP (51.6m shipped as of March 2009, 11.1m shipped since)

Its 38.1m for PS3

If you want to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, you can add another 4m up until early September 2010 - as the figures above are though June 2010. Beyond that, you can add Pocketsation which was Sony's first attempt at a portable system that no one ever seems to remember during the late 1990s. That would add another 4.5m. So at best you have 358m Playstations shipped through early September. Its more likely that Sony is citing figures through June though and excluding Pocketstation, which brings the numbers to 349.4m.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30313/On_PlayStations_15th_Birthday_Platform_Claims_349_Million_Consoles_Sold.php

Today, September 9, is the 15th anniversary of the PlayStation; including the original console and its two subsequent editions, the platform has sold 349 million hardware units and over 2 billion software units to date, the company announced today.

In today's Gamasutra feature, Sony Computer Entertainment senior VP of marketing Peter Dille reflects on the system's unusual, disruptive launch: "We sold more than [102 million] PS1s, went on to sell more than 146 million PS2s, put Sega out of the hardware business, established us as a household brand, [and] created a huge profit center for Sony Corporation," he says.

It all started with a bold move: Going maverick with an idea that was originally intended simply as a Nintendo peripheral, and implementing the optical disc technology in which Sony was one of the market leaders at the time.

It started, according to Dille, "several years in advance" of the PlayStation's 1994 Japan launch (it would see a U.S. release in 1995), and he remembers being called into then-Sony CEO Mickey Schulhof's office to learn the plan.

"He called me into his office -- and I never had got a call to Mickey Schulhof's office -- and he asked for my help to develop a press release announcing this thing called the PlayStation, which was going to be a peripheral to the Nintendo," Dille tells us.

That information has since come publicly to light, but as Dille highlights: "What Mickey was doing was in effect, negotiating with Nintendo in the press by saying, 'We're prepared to launch this thing on our own if you don't honor the agreement that we had with you,'" he says. "And I thought it was just fascinating to sort of watch this all go down and see how this high stakes game of poker was being played."

"And when Nintendo made their decision, they put out an announcement with Philips," Dille continues. "This was on the eve of CES, you might remember. At that very moment in time, Mickey and a number of senior executives at Sony, said, 'We're going to launch our own product, and we're going to compete to win.'"

Since then, the PlayStation platform has generated over $63 billion in revenue, according to Sony's announcement today. The company claims the equivalent of 40 percent of the overall video game marketshare in the U.S. to date.

The company will be offering fans several new initiatives in celebration of the brand's anniversary: It'll offer free downloadable static themes on the PlayStation Store, weekly discounts on titles in a "15th anniversary collection" in SCEA territories, and a commemorative PSone ornament in its PlayStation Home virtual environment on PS3.

The full Gamasutra feature interview with Dille provides a fascinating look back on the launch of an iconic brand as it turns 15 years old today.

[UPDATE: A previous version of this story cited a Sony press release that said the PlayStation family of hardware sold 377 million to date. But the company corrected that figure in a statement to Gamasutra, as 349 million units have actually been sold to date.

The discrepancy came from figures for the original PlayStation -- Dille originally stated in the Gamasutra feature interview that the console sold 130 million, but it has actually sold 102 million units. A SCEA rep that apologized for the company's error said that in any case, the 349 million-unit landmark "is clearly still an amazing accomplishment that we are incredibly proud of."]

- Lao Tzu

Logic & Reason: 1

Delusional Fanboys: 0

Seriously, some people need to apologize to the site and eat some crow. At least those who aren't banned.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Can you please go back and tell everyone who was insisting VGC was wrong that Gamasutra / Game Spot just screwed up? I don't like to see our credibility messed up for no reason.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Can you please go back and tell everyone who was insisting VGC was wrong that Gamasutra / Game Spot just screwed up? I don't like to see our credibility messed up for no reason.

Technically, it was Sony's Dille who screwed up. But yeah some people need to take off the Sony blinders, admit they were wrong and apologize.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

Lol epic fail for joeorc, and a few others that I'm too lazy to look for.

Santa Claus fudged his shipment numbers? I smell a lawsuit coming!

(I've gotta laugh, or I'll cry)

Edit: Oh man, I just saw the reason for ban. I had no idea that was against the rules! I'm not sure whether I should shut up now or start reporting other offenders.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Grimes said:

Logic & Reason: 1

Delusional Fanboys: 0

Seriously, some people need to apologize to the site and eat some crow. At least those who aren't banned.

lol

Joe made this thread very entertaining.  But Gilgamesh was just being irresponsible.

TheSource said:

Its a misquote. PS1 production stopped at 102.5m, which Dille likely stated as 103m in the interview. Gamasutra then misquoted Dille because Gamasutra is unreliable and unfamiliar with the history of the industry, mishearing 103m for 130m.

There were about 22m PS1s in SE Asia and Japan, about 45m in the Americas, and almost 40m in the rest of the world.

Gilgamesh I really wish you would show some sense before you posted stuff like this - all of our old data is tied to historical annual reports that have to be dead on for tax purposes. You're opening a huge can of worms here, and misleading tons of users.

Everyone makes mistakes ;)

Its a great console with a lot of superb games, like MGS (Nr 1 action game for me so far).. And nice that so many people did purchase it over all years. But Sony got some good help from Nintendo (64 got problems with format so they lose big AAA games like FFVII) and Sega who did almost everything wrong.