By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSOne console sold 130 million!

TheSource said:

Its a misquote. PS1 production stopped at 102.5m, which Dille likely stated as 103m in the interview. Gamasutra then misquoted Dille because Gamasutra is unreliable and unfamiliar with the history of the industry, mishearing 103m for 130m.

There were about 22m PS1s in SE Asia and Japan, about 45m in the Americas, and almost 40m in the rest of the world.

Gilgamesh I really wish you would show some sense before you posted stuff like this - all of our old data is tied to historical annual reports that have to be dead on for tax purposes. You're opening a huge can of worms here, and misleading tons of users.

no what's misleading is claiming world wide tracking data when you know you cannot accuratly do it. that is what is misleading.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

I place as much trust in a company's internal numbers as I do the Government regulating Government. Numbers are inflated or pulled out of the ass, stories are exaggerated, and tales are twisted to give out a rosy public relations picture.

It would take some kind of fool to take Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft's internals at face value. This is why we have VGChartz, NPD, and other independent analysts. They can track the numbers sold, while the company will intentionally confuse units shipped as numbers sold to preach to the choir.

I ain't part of the choir and never hope to be.

PT Barnum was right.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Killiana1a said:

I place as much trust in a company's internal numbers as I do the Government regulating Government. Numbers are inflated, stories are exaggerated, and tales are twisted to give out a rosy public relations picture.

It would take some kind of fool to take Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft's internals at face value. This is why we have VGChartz, NPD, and other independent analysts. They can track the numbers sold, while the company will intentionally confuse units shipped as numbers sold to preach to the choir.

I ain't part of the choir and never hope to be.

but that's the point any number can be fudged..right

the only true number's we can go with are shipped reorder stock number's the onlyone's who has those number's are the companies themselves..so everyone outside is just guessing.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

The article also said 146 million PS2's sold. I don't know what to beleive, I would think VGChartz is accurate after a period of 5-6 years, it has NDP data to compare with, and I really doubt EMEAA/Japan added 30% more sales out of nowhere.

I think the article meant that 130 million PS1's were shipped, maybe 28 million were shipped back, or 28 million are replacement consoles for broken PS1's under warrenty. Hm... I want to trust VGChartz, but I know I'll get blasted for doubting the article.

Lets see if VGChartz adjusts PS1 sales in the next few months, if not, then this article is just misleading the truth (e.g. consoles shipped, not sold, shipped consoles can be returned).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Its a misquote. PS1 production stopped at 102.5m, which Dille likely stated as 103m in the interview. Gamasutra then misquoted Dille because Gamasutra is unreliable and unfamiliar with the history of the industry, mishearing 103m for 130m.

There were about 22m PS1s in SE Asia and Japan, about 45m in the Americas, and almost 40m in the rest of the world.

Gilgamesh I really wish you would show some sense before you posted stuff like this - all of our old data is tied to historical annual reports that have to be dead on for tax purposes. You're opening a huge can of worms here, and misleading tons of users.

Problem solved, I trust the Admin more then any users here. They have experience with the market. 103 million makes sence. Ahhhh.

What about the 146 million PS2's sold? Is that a misprint for 136 million sold, or 146 million shipped?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

TheSource said:

Hey, don't blame Gamasutra! :P

From Gamespot: "To date, PlayStation-branded hardware--including the original PlayStation, PS2, PSP, and PS3--has sold some 377 million hardware units..."

377m - (146m [PS2] 62m [PSP] 39m [PS3]) = 130m PSOnes (Instead of the real 103m).

Gamasutra didn't misquoted Dille. Nor was a typo (103m ---> 130m). Sounds like Dille probably added the total number of PlayStations plus the total number of PSOnes.

He is human, can make mistakes (And that's for you too jeorc. You were wrong since the beggining. Don't try to convince yourself...)

First things first: The number is still impressive.

But Joeorc, come on... expanding the Playstation brand in the years 2005 - 2007 PLUS stop produicing them in 2006 just doesn't make sense.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Naninho said:
TheSource said:

Hey, don't blame Gamasutra! :P

From Gamespot: "To date, PlayStation-branded hardware--including the original PlayStation, PS2, PSP, and PS3--has sold some 377 million hardware units..."

377m - (146m [PS2] 62m [PSP] 39m [PS3]) = 130m PSOnes (Instead of the real 103m).

Gamasutra didn't misquoted Dille. Nor was a typo (103m ---> 130m). Sounds like Dille probably added the total number of PlayStations plus the total number of PSOnes.

He is human, can make mistakes (And that's for you too jeorc. You were wrong since the beggining. Don't try to convince yourself...)

ok:

here is something to consider:

By March '05, the PlayStation/PSone had shipped a total of over 100.49 million systems, becoming the first console to ever reach the 100 million mark. Not bad considering it was still a running a 32 bit processor and was competing against Nintendo.

http://www.gameconsolesedu.info/PS1.php

an the sold over 100 million was by may 18 2004

http://us.playstation.com/go/15thanniversary/

so sony did not stop production of the PS1 until march of 2006 so 2 christmases world wide in emerging markets to gather more markets for the playstation brand to start selling the new playstation 2 in .

so you an other's want to claim that in over a year's time we are talking about another christmas season that in that time with how cheap the PS1 was to make that sony could not have ramped up production for more system to be sold in emerging market's world wide that there is no way they could have sold that number of unit's when...so yea they continue to produce more unit's for a year an yet only sell what no more unit's?

I AM BOLO

ps:

DirtyP2002 said:

First things first: The number is still impressive.

But Joeorc, come on... expanding the Playstation brand in the years 2005 - 2007 PLUS stop produicing them in 2006 just doesn't make sense.

that was the 11th year..sony has all playstation's on a 10 year cycle..that was the only system that Sony has produced past a 10 year production cycle right now the PS2 is  will be  10 year's old as a platform on the 26th of OCT 2010 yet the PS2 is still in production and most likely be still in production next year.

oct 26 2000 was the year the PS2 was released..and just like the ps1 sony is putting the PS2 in market's the PS2 was not in before some as recently as late last year and early this year.

I AM BOLO

ps: