By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other M Samus Emotional Breakdown Explained *SPOILERS*

Conegamer said:

I'm just glad her breasts aren't ridiculously oversized

That wouldn't be sexist though!

Around the Network

I've nothing against Samus speaking in the games, but Other M took a step too far on it's portrail of Samus simply because she's a woman. God, what a mess they did right there.

I like that. The notion that Samus is more of a symbol than a person, I mean. I do like that. It's one of my favorite things about past portrayals of the character.

My wife is finally playing Corruption. I prefer the confrontation in that game, which paints Ridley as Samus's nemesis rather than some object of her fear. Her going Gandalf on him down that mining shaft and then shooting him in the mouth was one of the best gaming moments of 2007.

If the Prime display of Samus was down to Miyamoto, then I much prefer Miyamoto's version of Samus over Sakamoto's.

Killiana1a said:

My personal opinion is that Yoshio Sakamoto always had this vision of Samus as you see her in Other M. It was not present in earlier iterations of Metroid because of the graphics limitations.

Furthermore, I truly believe there is a rivalry between Sakamoto and Miyamoto. I believe Sakamoto considers himself in the same league as Miyamoto and was furious over Miyamoto's input in the Prime series. What does this have to do with Samus in Other M?

Sakamoto is taking back complete creative control of Metroid and wants to redefine the gaming public's view of her despite her portrayal in Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid and the Prime series. In regards to Metroid Fusion, the graphics limitations did not allow for Sakamoto's vision of Samus. Thusforth, Other M is the first opportunity with today's technology for Sakamoto to promote his vision of Samus.

I have said in another thread this portrayal of Samus is egotistical, sexist and completely unacceptable. I stand by my earlier statements and believe them further after researching this issue.

The potential risks to Sakamoto promoting his vision vs. gaming public's expectations based on 4 decades (1980s, 1990s, 2000s and now 2010s) is that he may alienate a portion of the Metroid fanbase to an extent where they will not purchase a Metroid game where he has creative input as Director or some other position such as Producer. I doubt this will occur, but it is possible.

That's not true. Ninja Gaiden had cutscenes. The difference is, there were other people besides Sakamoto working in Metroid that time, blocking his mad plans to come true. Now that he comes to full power, he can do whatever the shit his mind thinks that Metroid is.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
Killiana1a said:

My personal opinion is that Yoshio Sakamoto always had this vision of Samus as you see her in Other M. It was not present in earlier iterations of Metroid because of the graphics limitations.

Furthermore, I truly believe there is a rivalry between Sakamoto and Miyamoto. I believe Sakamoto considers himself in the same league as Miyamoto and was furious over Miyamoto's input in the Prime series. What does this have to do with Samus in Other M?

Sakamoto is taking back complete creative control of Metroid and wants to redefine the gaming public's view of her despite her portrayal in Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid and the Prime series. In regards to Metroid Fusion, the graphics limitations did not allow for Sakamoto's vision of Samus. Thusforth, Other M is the first opportunity with today's technology for Sakamoto to promote his vision of Samus.

I have said in another thread this portrayal of Samus is egotistical, sexist and completely unacceptable. I stand by my earlier statements and believe them further after researching this issue.

The potential risks to Sakamoto promoting his vision vs. gaming public's expectations based on 4 decades (1980s, 1990s, 2000s and now 2010s) is that he may alienate a portion of the Metroid fanbase to an extent where they will not purchase a Metroid game where he has creative input as Director or some other position such as Producer. I doubt this will occur, but it is possible.

That's not true. Ninja Gaiden had cutscenes. The difference is, there were other people besides Sakamoto working in Metroid that time, blocking his mad plans to come true. Now that he comes to full power, he can do whatever the shit his mind thinks that Metroid is.

Yes but no one was touting Ninja Gaiden's story as an important aspect of that game.  I think Metroid Other M is suffering from being written and made with a Japanese audience in mind.  In Japan, women are expected to let men protect them instead of defending themselves.  To a Japanese person, Samus's characterization would be seen as normal whereas in the West, it is seen as sexist and offensive.  Samus is portrayed in Other M as weak for the same reason Final Fantasy games have bishonen characters in them, it is to appeal to a Japanese demographic who are the main demographic for those type of games.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

"Bad writing and sexism"

This explains everything.

i agree

Sakamoto must of been trying to emulate Aliens with Ripleys affection for newt. But Ripley didn't shrink when she saved Newt, she went in balls to the wall and fuked all those aliens up.

The only thing is Sakamoto is a lousy writer, what makes him think he could produce a script?  It's just plain bad.

Earlier metriods had her as stoic personality but I have an actual imagination and I had developed a personality for Samus and it wasn't Sakamotos vision of a shrinking wall flower.  It was a sexy tough bounty hunter who kicked ass

Sakamoto must love this imaginary character and made her in his sexist image.

I will never touch this game again 

wow...such a massive explosion over one cut-scene. where people get "sexist" i will never understand though.

i admit that it probably wasnt the best choice for a reaction to ridley, but it makes some sense to me(especially after reading this article). im just glad she isnt the stereotypical "Super KICK-ASS!!! bounty hunter with an arrogant, bitchy attitude and massive boobs who scoffs at anything she looks at!"...she has emotions and fears and insecurities now. though some of those may be called into question, its alot better than what i thought they would turn samus into.

oh well, no use trying to explain it imo. lots of people are going to deny themselves a great game because of either some strange sense of sexism has blocked them, or their view of Samus isnt being made true in this game.

will be interesting, though, to see where sakamoto takes samus(as a person) next metroid game. i sure hope he doesnt take her where i think he'll take her in response to all the backlash...

Having watched the fight with Ridley and the scenes before that once again I still fail to see how this contributes to the game being sexist. Only thing I can think of is Anthony acting like the typical marine...

If someone could explain to me what makes the scene sexist I would be glad to hear.

forest-spirit said:

Having watched the fight with Ridley and the scenes before that once again I still fail to see how this contributes to the game being sexist. Only thing I can think of is Anthony acting like the typical marine...

If someone could explain to me what makes the scene sexist I would be glad to hear.

Sexism may not be the biggest problem, here, but let's see where we can go with this.

How many Ridley encounters have you, personally, played through in the past games?

I wonder how the Samus vs Master chief debate will look after Other M.

Before, the common conclusion was that she would kick his ass.

I LOVE ICELAND!