By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M is my favorite Metroid game

That is right: I 100% disagree with reviewers who say it taints the series. It's fun, it's fast-pace, and I really like Samus's personality, even if the rabid fanboys are crying that the Samus Nintendo and Team Ninja made isn't exactly like what they wanted. She has feelings, so what? It's an excellent, addicting game that I wish the series was like from the start.

Please tell me there are others that feel the same way as me.... ;_;

Around the Network

don't you look at me! I'm not one of them!

>_>

<_<

stop looking!

>_<"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I'm really enjoying it so far, the negative reviews have me utterly confused the more I play of it. Not my favourite Metroid, but by no means a tainted entry in such an illustrious series.

Seems like the scores over 8 was right, I believe ONM got it right with their 91%. Some  people don't give time to get used to the controlls.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

I'm only about 12 hours in, and there are a lot of design issues I have with the title.  The basic gameplay is fun, but the exploration is gimped with locked doors to prevent "screwing around" when we're supposed to "focus on the mission at hand," which is exactly like Metroid Fusion--and is something that is very much not the flavor of a Metroid game.  The plot device of needing permission to use upgrades and items that Samus is already carrying?  Let's be honest here, it's flat out fucking stupid.  I welcome deeper plot and story exploration for the series, but this is the exact opposite.  It's not deep, it furthers nothing.  It's illogical, annoying, and foolish.  It's also "Metroid by numbers" (which at this point will be the title of the review I write for a different site when I'm done) as it follows the same basic gameplay design with all the exact same items we've had before and really expands on nothing.  The emergency "life recharge" is damn near a useless joke since all the bosses attack without pause, meaning it's next to impossible to pull off.

Sometimes, the writing is good, almost as if a western (American) studio had done it, but most of the time, it's ham-fisted anime-style melodrama, which is unrealistic and annoying. 

My opinion may change towards the end, and keep in mind that I'm a HUGE Metroid fan--this is my favorite overall video game franchise (followed by Resident Evil), but so far, here's how it's panning out:  Super Metroid remains the peak of the franchise, followed closely by Metroid Prime 1, 3, 2--in that order.  I dropped MP2 below part 3 because the light-world/dark-world theme is a Nintendo cliche, most commonly plaguing the Zelda franchise. 

While I am getting quite a bit of enjoyment out of the game, much of that is cancelled out by the negatives I listed.  This may not exactly be an all-time low for the series (Fusion still holds that title as far as I'm concerned), it is the weakest console-based title. 

Samus talking doesn't bother me.  The ham-fisted, and occasionally offensive writing governing her actions on the other hand, have really gotten under my skin.

Around the Network

you were born when super metroid came out.. so umm yeah

Ari_Gold said:

you were born when super metroid came out.. so umm yeah

What does age have to do with anything?

Feel free to object, but i believe you should let a little more time pass before making such bold statements. It's easy to be taken in very quickly by a new game, especially if it's one you've been waiting to play for a long time. Now i'm not saying you're wrong to feel it's your favorite entry in the franchise; but, after you've finished playing the game, i ask you to return to it a few months or so down the line and question if you feel the same way about it.

I myself have played many games this generation and after no more than 10 hours felt convinced that it was either one of the best games i had played on the console, or one of the best games I had ever played, period. After i was done with these games for the moment and once i let some time drift however, i realized most of those games - while still highly enjoyable and a great experience - were not in fact as great to me as i once thought. You'll know that you really love a game or it's your favorite iteration in it's respective franchise if - after all this time has gone by - you still feel the same about it, and you would gladly play it again. At least, that's how it is for myself.

It's been a long time since i played Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. When i finished with it, i had played through it twice and completed everything in the game at least once. I don't have access to it right now, but if i did, i would probably start up another file, because IMHO it is the best game i have played this generation, and will likely remain so for a while. Other notable games from this generation I feel just as strongly about include Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, The World Ends With You, Super Mario Galaxy and BAYONETTA.

Anyway, mini-rant aside, good to hear you're loving Metroid: Other M. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm really looking forward to playing it.

How technical is your game?

I can't wait to get my hands on this!

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

I agree this is one of my favorite Metroid games, honestly I need to beat the first two primes which will happen soon enough when I get the Wii Trilogy, after that I could say for sure where I'd place this one.  I also have Super Metroid to beat, but I find the controls and the fun I get out of Other M stomps the hell out of the fun I have with Super Metroid.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000