By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M is my favorite Metroid game

KylieDog said:

I'll just copy what I posted int he official thread.

Poor for a Metroid.

Story is full of stupid crap that doesn't make sense or is just plain retarded, voice acting quality is horribly inconsistant, gameplay/combat has a great system in place but then ruined by the fact that the auto-target is way too good and spamming the D-pad makes you immortal almost.  Lack of exploration sucks, I heard end-game everything gets unlocked and I was looking forward to looking for hidden items I missed, only the ones I missed where all power bomb doors except for two so I didn't really miss them, they also put all the items on your map, ruining the fun of finding them yourself.  Why not just give them to you?  I didn't even bother running through the levels to go get them, seemed pretty pointless when there is nothing else to do.  Honestly what the f*** was the point in showing you hidden items when they grant no benefit anymore, the only benefit they had was giving the player soemthing to do by finding them, but no, had to take that away.

Samus as a character was butchered.

Dude, I feel yah.  Unlocking a bunch more crap to just go collect after finishing the game is just the latest in a very long line of awful, awful design choices for this game.  In a normal Metriod game, I would go around near the end (or pretty much any time before then) collecting up every item I missed in preparation for the final battle.  So it's utterly pointless to have half this crap only really available after all that.  It's item collection for the sake of item collection, and it's just flat out insulting.  They turned Metroid into a shallow fetch-quest, and where they tried to give us depth (the story), they instead delivered up some of the most ham-fisted, cliched melodrama this side of a Manga movie festival or a day watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 nonstop. 

The auto-targeting completely failed me during the final boss battle, and the missile lock-on is damn near hit-or miss. 

They did it.  Metroid Fusion is no longer the "worst" Metroid game as far as I'm concerned. 

Around the Network

Im loving the game

Khuutra said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Well.  This is rare for me.  I can't think of a time when I finished a game and was angry about it.  Having just completed Other M, I can now say that Team Ninja is the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.

And to think, they had me finally loving it during the final (Metroid II throwback) boss battle, only to turn around and completely fuck with me incorporating one last irritatingly questionable design choice followed by some of the most hackneyed anime cliche bullshit melodrama that's ever been passed off for a story that I have ever seen.

And then after the credits, another ridiculously questionable design choice. 

This is officially the Metroid franchise's Resident Evil 5.  Either give the series back to Retro or kill it now.

This isn't Team Ninja's fault. They had nothihng to do with the story or direction of the game - that was all Sakamoto. Blame them if you don't like the mechanics, sure, but all the "hackneyed anime cliche bullshit melodrama" is at Sakamoto's feet. Team Ninja are tech guys.

The story is not my only problem with this game.  It's just the icing on the crappiest cake ever.  The game is fraught with questionable, if not outright dreadful, game design and everything that made Metroid awesome is pretty much absent here. 

Resident_Hazard said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

His analogy is still valid.  You fully admitted to, essentially, "only just getting into Metroid" and as such, you have little to no idea what made the series so great to begin with.  And saying there weren't a lot of good games?  Seriously dude, even for all the negatives I've given to Fusion, it's still a fun game--because there really were no bad Metroid games.  Just, for Fusion and Other M, there are wrong Metroid games.  Maybe Hunters, which is the only game I haven't had ample time with since, when I bought my DS, it was no longer for sale, except used, and I haven't gotten to it.  Strangely enough, I do have the First Hunt demo, complete with it's packaging...

And yes, I just realized I cluttered this thread with my posts...

Hunters I got when it first came out and I was in the top 1% online before it was overrun by hackers, by all rights that is not a Metroid game rather an FPS game with a Metroid skin, not a bad FPS mind you but still I know what makes the series great and it wasn't that

Getting into the series last gen as at least given me time to stew over the series as a whole I'm just not filled with nostalgic memories of the series, Super Metroid is good, Prime somehow was even slower paced than its 2D counterparts while trying to keep some of the same ideas alive, Prime 3 stepped it up however and was a great game because of it, mainly the reason I couldn't force myself through prime was simply the controls, everything else is pretty great.

I know what makes Metroid good and bottom line is I'm getting to do what the series is known for with Other M and more, so I don't see the problem.

Well, I've been playing and loving and worshipping Metroid since the olden days, and all I can tell you is that Metroid: Other M is definitly not giving you what the series was known for.  For one thing, never, ever assume that Metroid was a fast-paced game or series.  Other M's Ninja Gaiden-esque fast gameplay is far from the series norm.  Slower pace, moody atmospheric music, and an emphasis on exploration over flash-in-the-pan action is what the series is known for. 

Super and Fusion were definitely twitchy games. Samus was *fast* and enemies could also be overwhelmingly fast. Other M just takes that speed and adds Melee combat and makes you as fragile as you were in the original game

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The only other Metroid game I've played other than this one is Corruption and I like this one better.

Around the Network

I am near the end of the game and I have to say that for me it is great. Yes I have seen plenty of clunky gameplay choices(random scanning scenes and not so tight controls)  but I do not think it is a bad game by any means. One thing that is true is that it is quite different (I have played all metroids except the first one), which of course will make some metroid fans angry about it but things like linearity and story will vary  on each person.

For me this is the best metroid game ever, its fast paced, and the CG scenes are pretty , andi still got chills everytime i hear samus's cold sexy voice, and when u meet ridley ? MOST EPIC MOMENT SO FAR THIS YEAR ! i with 5:33 hours into the game and i cant wait to beat it (but my wii are having a hard time to pass the cutscene where samus meets the blod girl it always freezes somewhere during that scene (why the hell it is soooo looong).

I give it a 9 out of 10.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

@all the people loving the game:

You make Malstrom a sad panda!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mr Khan said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Well, I've been playing and loving and worshipping Metroid since the olden days, and all I can tell you is that Metroid: Other M is definitly not giving you what the series was known for.  For one thing, never, ever assume that Metroid was a fast-paced game or series.  Other M's Ninja Gaiden-esque fast gameplay is far from the series norm.  Slower pace, moody atmospheric music, and an emphasis on exploration over flash-in-the-pan action is what the series is known for. 

Super and Fusion were definitely twitchy games. Samus was *fast* and enemies could also be overwhelmingly fast. Other M just takes that speed and adds Melee combat and makes you as fragile as you were in the original game

Super Metroid wasn't a twitch game.  It was quick, but it's pace was more in line with the exploration and atmospheric style of the series.  Other M is like a run-n-gun game where you can't aim and the pace is broken by a first-person mode where you can't move.

The guy that said, earlier in the thread, that some of you were basically caught up in the flash-in-the-pan excitement of the game was right.  You guys need to finish the game, play the others in the series if you haven't, take some time--and reflect.  The ending is terrible and features some of the lamest ham-fisted writing and cliches imaginable.  Again, I was angry that I predicted it.  If you think the writing in this game is good, you have probably have next to no understanding of what makes good cinematic storytelling.  This is b-movie crap at best, which is a huge let-down.  Samus' portrayal is damn near insulting.  Rather than being a strong, solitary bounter hunter, she's overly emotional (a little is good, this is too much), she's portrayed as weak and dependant on luck and constant aid from others.  This is not the heroine we've come to know and love over the years.  This is a naive teenager in a power suit, not a strong, independant woman.

The game is a disappointment all around, unless you like half-assed writing, b-movie retardedness, and ham-fisted anime cliches.  The gameplay is mindless running and shooting with no reward (no missile pick-ups, no health pick-ups).  And, quite frankly, the only way the FMV cinematics in this game are the "best you've seen, this generation or ever" is if you only  own a Wii, because very few Wii games, and next to nothing from Nintendo, feature any FMV sequences.  I fired up Fable II, and on deciding to finally continue on toward the Black Spire, I was treated to an FMV cinematic that, in most ways, was better than those in Other M.  Other M is graphically inferior to any title in Retro's Prime trilogy, unless the only thing you're looking at is the FMV sequences.  There, I said it. 

Metroid Other M, for the moment, is like a television psychic (John Edwards, winner, biggest douche in the universe)--all you guys remember are the good parts, and you're forgetting all the crap--and unfortunately, Other M is swamped with crap.

Resident_Hazard said:
Mr Khan said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Super Metroid wasn't a twitch game.  It was quick, but it's pace was more in line with the exploration and atmospheric style of the series.  Other M is like a run-n-gun game where you can't aim and the pace is broken by a first-person mode where you can't move.

The guy that said, earlier in the thread, that some of you were basically caught up in the flash-in-the-pan excitement of the game was right.  You guys need to finish the game, play the others in the series if you haven't, take some time--and reflect.  The ending is terrible and features some of the lamest ham-fisted writing and cliches imaginable.  Again, I was angry that I predicted it.  If you think the writing in this game is good, you have probably have next to no understanding of what makes good cinematic storytelling.  This is b-movie crap at best, which is a huge let-down.  Samus' portrayal is damn near insulting.  Rather than being a strong, solitary bounter hunter, she's overly emotional (a little is good, this is too much), she's portrayed as weak and dependant on luck and constant aid from others.  This is not the heroine we've come to know and love over the years.  This is a naive teenager in a power suit, not a strong, independant woman.

The game is a disappointment all around, unless you like half-assed writing, b-movie retardedness, and ham-fisted anime cliches.  The gameplay is mindless running and shooting with no reward (no missile pick-ups, no health pick-ups).  And, quite frankly, the only way the FMV cinematics in this game are the "best you've seen, this generation or ever" is if you only  own a Wii, because very few Wii games, and next to nothing from Nintendo, feature any FMV sequences.  I fired up Fable II, and on deciding to finally continue on toward the Black Spire, I was treated to an FMV cinematic that, in most ways, was better than those in Other M.  Other M is graphically inferior to any title in Retro's Prime trilogy, unless the only thing you're looking at is the FMV sequences.  There, I said it. 

Metroid Other M, for the moment, is like a television psychic (John Edwards, winner, biggest douche in the universe)--all you guys remember are the good parts, and you're forgetting all the crap--and unfortunately, Other M is swamped with crap.

Well we're at a legitimate difference of opinion on that point. If Metroid Prime is my favorite game ever, Sonic Adventure 2 is my second, and the storyline there, so lambasted by many, is part of what makes that game so endearing. I love Shonen Anime (Bleach, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, and especially One Piece), so i can appreciate the story for what it is

I would make changes to the game, certainly, but i'm neither angry nor disappointed.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.