By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M is my favorite Metroid game

Resident_Hazard said:

Well, I've been playing and loving and worshipping Metroid since the olden days, and all I can tell you is that Metroid: Other M is definitly not giving you what the series was known for.  For one thing, never, ever assume that Metroid was a fast-paced game or series.  Other M's Ninja Gaiden-esque fast gameplay is far from the series norm.  Slower pace, moody atmospheric music, and an emphasis on exploration over flash-in-the-pan action is what the series is known for. 

I won't pretend to know what metroid is known for by the fans as I have only played metroid (though I was like 4 years old. Super Metroid and Prime, but beaten none of them.

But I mean it's definitely a possibility that someone could like this game more. And if like you say this isn't the norm for metroid. Then they could still like it because they don't like what the other metroids were known for.

Around the Network

I respect your opinion, but I hope you know there is something very wrong with you :P

I just got the wave beam and now the game's on its way back to Blockbuster.I don't think it's a good game. At all. It's mediocre. Especially for a Metroid game. Atmosphere is non-existent. Graphics are hideous. Art design is generic. Music is forgettable. Puzzles aren't up to the standard of the Prime games. Story is crap. Power-ups are lame. Exploration has been done away with almost entirely. Enemies are as often annoying as they are fun. Bosses are weak! Controls are clunky. What the hell is up with those first person investigation moments and those times where Samus randomly starts walking at snails pace!?

Meh @ this game.

Resident_Hazard said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

His analogy is still valid.  You fully admitted to, essentially, "only just getting into Metroid" and as such, you have little to no idea what made the series so great to begin with.  And saying there weren't a lot of good games?  Seriously dude, even for all the negatives I've given to Fusion, it's still a fun game--because there really were no bad Metroid games.  Just, for Fusion and Other M, there are wrong Metroid games.  Maybe Hunters, which is the only game I haven't had ample time with since, when I bought my DS, it was no longer for sale, except used, and I haven't gotten to it.  Strangely enough, I do have the First Hunt demo, complete with it's packaging...

And yes, I just realized I cluttered this thread with my posts...

Hunters I got when it first came out and I was in the top 1% online before it was overrun by hackers, by all rights that is not a Metroid game rather an FPS game with a Metroid skin, not a bad FPS mind you but still I know what makes the series great and it wasn't that

Getting into the series last gen as at least given me time to stew over the series as a whole I'm just not filled with nostalgic memories of the series, Super Metroid is good, Prime somehow was even slower paced than its 2D counterparts while trying to keep some of the same ideas alive, Prime 3 stepped it up however and was a great game because of it, mainly the reason I couldn't force myself through prime was simply the controls, everything else is pretty great.

I know what makes Metroid good and bottom line is I'm getting to do what the series is known for with Other M and more, so I don't see the problem.

Well, I've been playing and loving and worshipping Metroid since the olden days, and all I can tell you is that Metroid: Other M is definitly not giving you what the series was known for.  For one thing, never, ever assume that Metroid was a fast-paced game or series.  Other M's Ninja Gaiden-esque fast gameplay is far from the series norm.  Slower pace, moody atmospheric music, and an emphasis on exploration over flash-in-the-pan action is what the series is known for. 

*sigh* For the last time I KNOW what the series is known for, geez I fucking played the games, I know they're slower paced, but theres a reason the series is one of Nintendo's third tiers... and they're trying to change that.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I wouldn't go as far to say that Other M is my favorite of the series, though if you find it to be yours then more power to ya because I can see WHY someone would say that. If anything that's still a tie with Fusion and Prime. I actually didn't beat Super Metroid until about two weeks before Other M was released (and I found its age all the more apparent). I will say that Other M has by far the best combat of the series and has some unique, spectacular boss fights. My only MAJOR complaint is the scanning sections but those are so few are far between they're not too bothersome. The guidedness of the design also didn't bother me because you are free to still explore even IF you have some constraints. This isn't FFXIII at the very least.

The plot is fine, though it is a bit perplexing about how there is a major sub plot they just sorta drop and the narrative is archetypal at best. Admittedly they should have kept the cut scenes from running too long as well but it didn't bother me too much (unlike, say, most cut scens in J-RPGs). Samus' characterization is fine; instead of going for the bullshit faux-tough gal type they display her as strong and independent, but not lacking in feminity or emotion. It's definitely a worthy addition to the series and a lot of the negative press it has gotten is uncalled for

im buying the game tomorrow ill be the judge of that lol, but i know i will never put it above super metroid lol

Around the Network

I've played about 5 hours and while the game is growing me and I am beginning to admire the attempt to take the game in a totally different direction, it's still a peg or two below most of the other Metroid games I've played.

While I've gotten used to the control and don't have a particular issue with it, I can't help feeling that it could have been better if it controlled a la Sin and Punishment.  The other things I'm not so keen on at the moment are upgrades and that's for two reasons which I think are related.  Firstly, they are just not that satisfying to earn and secondly, the reason you don't have them/can't use them in the first place is just plain stupid. Finally, the music, which is beyond sublime in the Prime games (particularly the first), has thus far been quite forgetable. 

Metroid: Other M in terms of combat is my favourite, the boss battles are also very unique. The controls are very accessible, however First Person Scanning can be frustrating and Missiles can only be used in that way. The environments are very inspiring, as they are as outstanding as environments in the previous games. The cutscenes are very dramatic and express the soul views of Samus, in my opinion they are some of the best cutscenes in gaming.  

Whoops double post, VGChartz was currently in maintenance when I posted this.

Well.  This is rare for me.  I can't think of a time when I finished a game and was angry about it.  Having just completed Other M, I can now say that Team Ninja is the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.

And to think, they had me finally loving it during the final (Metroid II throwback) boss battle, only to turn around and completely fuck with me incorporating one last irritatingly questionable design choice followed by some of the most hackneyed anime cliche bullshit melodrama that's ever been passed off for a story that I have ever seen.

And then after the credits, another ridiculously questionable design choice. 

This is officially the Metroid franchise's Resident Evil 5.  Either give the series back to Retro or kill it now.

Resident_Hazard said:

Well.  This is rare for me.  I can't think of a time when I finished a game and was angry about it.  Having just completed Other M, I can now say that Team Ninja is the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.

And to think, they had me finally loving it during the final (Metroid II throwback) boss battle, only to turn around and completely fuck with me incorporating one last irritatingly questionable design choice followed by some of the most hackneyed anime cliche bullshit melodrama that's ever been passed off for a story that I have ever seen.

And then after the credits, another ridiculously questionable design choice. 

This is officially the Metroid franchise's Resident Evil 5.  Either give the series back to Retro or kill it now.

This isn't Team Ninja's fault. They had nothihng to do with the story or direction of the game - that was all Sakamoto. Blame them if you don't like the mechanics, sure, but all the "hackneyed anime cliche bullshit melodrama" is at Sakamoto's feet. Team Ninja are tech guys.