By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M is my favorite Metroid game

Ari_Gold said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Prime 1 and 2, terrible controls?  Oh no way, Retro made the right choice on the controls for those games.  The games weren't meant to be FPS titles, and for the way Prime 1 & 2 were played, the controls were perfect.  Both games also had a lot more originality and depth than Other M, which has an overall emptiness to the game and the exploration is gimped. 

Other M's controls vary from pretty good to twitchy to hit-or-miss.  Switching from holding the remote sideways to pointing it is annoying and floaty.  The dodge move from first-person mode almost never works, and the third-person segments are just ungainly and slow.  The jumping and platforming is worse than any of the Prime games what with Samus' weird stopping at the edge of a platform.

The game is, like I said, just Metroid by numbers, and if you had played through Prime 1, 2, and Super, you'd see that.  This took what was the same basic gameplay of those titles, and just reused it without expanding upon it.  Rather, it's gimped by having to switch modes, a lack of creativity in weapons and items, and the mostly linear story-based exploration.   "Samus go there." "Samus do this."  "Samus come here." Dude, lame.  Exploration, for that matter, is a secondary feature (if not tertiary).  In a normal Metroid game, I see all sorts of areas and things that are out of reach early on, and I remember them and come back to them upon finding the right item or weapon.  Here, half the time, I'm not allowed to go back because doors are just plain locked when I want to go back.  In a normal Metroid game, once a door is open--it's open.  None of this "now this door is locked because Adam wants Samus to go somewhere else right now" bullshit. 

The Wii's microscopic D-pad is just about the worst thing I've ever used for moving a character in three dimensions.  The gameplay is fast, to be sure, but it's certainly not more fun than any previous Metroid game.  Maybe more fun than the very original title on the NES, but you really started with nothing on there.  The arm cannon didn't even shoot all the way across the screen in the beginning!

Other M, for that matter, is the first game in franchise I've ever seen with cheap deaths.

Don't get me started on Ridley being in the game.  Besides the fact that the best Ridley battle ever was his appearance in Prime 1 (as Meta Ridley), I'm sick of him appearing in every single game.  Even his attacks in Other M are just copied from previous games making this even lamer.  Oh, I have to admit it, the battle early in Prime 3 with Ridley was just outstanding.  I'm still sick of him, though.

Amazing post. Bolded what i agree with and i italized what i dont agree with. The problem is that new (OP, maybe Maxwell) nintendo fans are barely getting to know the Metroid Franchise, and yes, Other M is a "good" game, but they never had the chance to play the old games which are CLASSICS, to notice how the franchise has progressed, and what makes "Metroid" metroid. Anime fans who love cliche and horrible story telling, probably fell in love with this game, and  since they hadn't played a metroid game ever, they believe its a "9" rated game... so much PHAIL in this thread.   

Best to worst in my opinion: Super Metroid > Metroid Prime 1 >  3 > Metroid Zero Hour>  Metroid Fusion> MoM > 2 > M

Hey thanks!  I hate to do it, but I also place the original Metroid near the bottom of the list, but it's about the only game in the series that actually shows it's age.  For the rough graphics of the Game Boy Metroid II, that game had some forward-looking features (such as the game save feature and Spider Ball), and also featured a unique storyline and was the only game besides Fusion to feature the evolution of the Metroid species.  That is something I'd like to see explored in a new game. 

Out of curiosity, why do you place Metroid Prime 2 so low?

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:

Amazing post. Bolded what i agree with and i italized what i dont agree with. The problem is that new (OP, maybe Maxwell) nintendo fans are barely getting to know the Metroid Franchise, and yes, Other M is a "good" game, but they never had the chance to play the old games which are CLASSICS, to notice how the franchise has progressed, and what makes "Metroid" metroid. Anime fans who love cliche and horrible story telling, probably fell in love with this game, and  since they hadn't played a metroid game ever, they believe its a "9" rated game... so much PHAIL in this thread.   

Best to worst in my opinion: Super Metroid > Metroid Prime 1 >  3 > Metroid Zero Hour>  Metroid Fusion> MoM > 2 > M

You did not just imply that I'm a new Nintendo fan >_> FFS I've been gaming since I had an Atari 2600, NES, Genesis and SNES as a child... the Metroid series is just something I got into last gen since there weren't a lot of good games, it was much easier to miss the Metroid series in the SNES days... I was a Castlevania IV guy myself...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Resident_Hazard said:
Ari_Gold said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Prime 1 and 2, terrible controls?  Oh no way, Retro made the right choice on the controls for those games.  The games weren't meant to be FPS titles, and for the way Prime 1 & 2 were played, the controls were perfect.  Both games also had a lot more originality and depth than Other M, which has an overall emptiness to the game and the exploration is gimped. 

Other M's controls vary from pretty good to twitchy to hit-or-miss.  Switching from holding the remote sideways to pointing it is annoying and floaty.  The dodge move from first-person mode almost never works, and the third-person segments are just ungainly and slow.  The jumping and platforming is worse than any of the Prime games what with Samus' weird stopping at the edge of a platform.

The game is, like I said, just Metroid by numbers, and if you had played through Prime 1, 2, and Super, you'd see that.  This took what was the same basic gameplay of those titles, and just reused it without expanding upon it.  Rather, it's gimped by having to switch modes, a lack of creativity in weapons and items, and the mostly linear story-based exploration.   "Samus go there." "Samus do this."  "Samus come here." Dude, lame.  Exploration, for that matter, is a secondary feature (if not tertiary).  In a normal Metroid game, I see all sorts of areas and things that are out of reach early on, and I remember them and come back to them upon finding the right item or weapon.  Here, half the time, I'm not allowed to go back because doors are just plain locked when I want to go back.  In a normal Metroid game, once a door is open--it's open.  None of this "now this door is locked because Adam wants Samus to go somewhere else right now" bullshit. 

The Wii's microscopic D-pad is just about the worst thing I've ever used for moving a character in three dimensions.  The gameplay is fast, to be sure, but it's certainly not more fun than any previous Metroid game.  Maybe more fun than the very original title on the NES, but you really started with nothing on there.  The arm cannon didn't even shoot all the way across the screen in the beginning!

Other M, for that matter, is the first game in franchise I've ever seen with cheap deaths.

Don't get me started on Ridley being in the game.  Besides the fact that the best Ridley battle ever was his appearance in Prime 1 (as Meta Ridley), I'm sick of him appearing in every single game.  Even his attacks in Other M are just copied from previous games making this even lamer.  Oh, I have to admit it, the battle early in Prime 3 with Ridley was just outstanding.  I'm still sick of him, though.

Hey thanks!  I hate to do it, but I also place the original Metroid near the bottom of the list, but it's about the only game in the series that actually shows it's age.  For the rough graphics of the Game Boy Metroid II, that game had some forward-looking features (such as the game save feature and Spider Ball), and also featured a unique storyline and was the only game besides Fusion to feature the evolution of the Metroid species.  That is something I'd like to see explored in a new game. 

The backtrackin in that game, is just HORRIBLE (go from light to dark, from dark to light, and so on....) so annoying.

Smeags said:
Resident_Hazard said:

and the moments where it sticks you in first-person mode to scan the area looking for one tiny detail?  Damn that's annoying.

Amen to that brother.

Like I said, there's some really weird design choices in this game (Example: not a fan of the idea behind Adam giving the go-ahead for your powers. Like he needed to take away your Varia and Gravity Suit upgrades... *rolls eyes*). Still, I really enjoy the combat... and find it immensly satisfying.

I haven't gotten as far as you yet, but I'll be sure to keep up the good fight.

Yeah, that plot device of "hey Samus, I see that you're in a bind, go ahead and use the Varia suit that you had all along" is just so stupid.  That's the kind of illogical nonsense you get from anime-style writing.  I don't care how much "respect" she has for Adam, there's no reason to force me to run through an area gradually picking up damage where I need the Varia just because "he won't let me."  Also, he "authorized" use of ice weapons early on, and yet, I (Samus) still had to wait until I was in some kind of trouble to use it?  Gimme a break.

Retro and Metroid Fusion gave probable reasons to have to collect new items in the following forms:  Suit too heavily damaged (MP1), required different items (MP2, MP3), Samus nearly died, and the Power Suit was corrupted and had to be removed (Fusion).  Just like in real life, in Metroid, "because I said so" is not a good enough reason.

Ari_Gold said:
Resident_Hazard said:

The backtrackin in that game, is just HORRIBLE (go from light to dark, from dark to light, and so on....) so annoying.

Ha ha ha, oh right.  Man, I forgot all about that.  All I remember of that game was a solid year of "finally got through the Emperor Ing only to be killed by Dark Samus" followed by angrily shutting off the GameCube.  I went a whole year not realizing that if I chose to "restart from last save" that I actually started after the Emperor Ing died, not my save right before the battle.  The thought of sitting through a 45-minute boss battle only to lose to Dark Samus in 4 minutes was all I remembered for a long time, and was what kept me from finishing the game for a bloody year.

I'm just tired of the "light world/dark world" cliche in general.  Zelda has used that gimmick, what, like 30 times?

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ari_Gold said:

You did not just imply that I'm a new Nintendo fan >_> FFS I've been gaming since I had an Atari 2600, NES, Genesis and SNES as a child... the Metroid series is just something I got into last gen since there weren't a lot of good games, it was much easier to miss the Metroid series in the SNES days... I was a Castlevania IV guy myself...

His analogy is still valid.  You fully admitted to, essentially, "only just getting into Metroid" and as such, you have little to no idea what made the series so great to begin with.  And saying there weren't a lot of good games?  Seriously dude, even for all the negatives I've given to Fusion, it's still a fun game--because there really were no bad Metroid games.  Just, for Fusion and Other M, there are wrong Metroid games.  Maybe Hunters, which is the only game I haven't had ample time with since, when I bought my DS, it was no longer for sale, except used, and I haven't gotten to it.  Strangely enough, I do have the First Hunt demo, complete with it's packaging...

And yes, I just realized I cluttered this thread with my posts...

Resident_Hazard said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ari_Gold said:

His analogy is still valid.  You fully admitted to, essentially, "only just getting into Metroid" and as such, you have little to no idea what made the series so great to begin with.  And saying there weren't a lot of good games?  Seriously dude, even for all the negatives I've given to Fusion, it's still a fun game--because there really were no bad Metroid games.  Just, for Fusion and Other M, there are wrong Metroid games.  Maybe Hunters, which is the only game I haven't had ample time with since, when I bought my DS, it was no longer for sale, except used, and I haven't gotten to it.  Strangely enough, I do have the First Hunt demo, complete with it's packaging...

Hunters I got when it first came out and I was in the top 1% online before it was overrun by hackers, by all rights that is not a Metroid game rather an FPS game with a Metroid skin, not a bad FPS mind you but still I know what makes the series great and it wasn't that

Getting into the series last gen as at least given me time to stew over the series as a whole I'm just not filled with nostalgic memories of the series, Super Metroid is good, Prime somehow was even slower paced than its 2D counterparts while trying to keep some of the same ideas alive, Prime 3 stepped it up however and was a great game because of it, mainly the reason I couldn't force myself through prime was simply the controls, everything else is pretty great.

I know what makes Metroid good and bottom line is I'm getting to do what the series is known for with Other M and more, so I don't see the problem.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Hunters I got when it first came out and I was in the top 1% online before it was overrun by hackers, by all rights that is not a Metroid game rather an FPS game with a Metroid skin, not a bad FPS mind you but still I know what makes the series great and it wasn't that

Getting into the series last gen as at least given me time to stew over the series as a whole I'm just not filled with nostalgic memories of the series, Super Metroid is good, Prime somehow was even slower paced than its 2D counterparts while trying to keep some of the same ideas alive, Prime 3 stepped it up however and was a great game because of it, mainly the reason I couldn't force myself through prime was simply the controls, everything else is pretty great.

I know what makes Metroid good and bottom line is I'm getting to do what the series is known for with Other M and more, so I don't see the problem.

Well, I've been playing and loving and worshipping Metroid since the olden days, and all I can tell you is that Metroid: Other M is definitly not giving you what the series was known for.  For one thing, never, ever assume that Metroid was a fast-paced game or series.  Other M's Ninja Gaiden-esque fast gameplay is far from the series norm.  Slower pace, moody atmospheric music, and an emphasis on exploration over flash-in-the-pan action is what the series is known for. 

People in this thread need to stop hating on Metroid games. This is Metroid love thread!

Back on topic though, I'm about 10 hours into Other M and loving the hell out of it.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I love it, it's not my favorite in the series due to a few imperfections such as the aforementoined "first person what the hell am I supposed to scan" mode, but otherwise really liking it.  I do hope that they do a full on 2D game next, maybe for a handheld, and one that actually continues after fusion.  but for an action game, this was done well.  Just as Devil may Cry reminded me of Castlvania on crack this reminds me of Metroid mixed with Ninja Gaiden.  I actually like the characters in this game, and the characterization Samus got.