By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M is my favorite Metroid game

Personally im really enjoying it thus far. It has its faults, for sure, mainly for me it is the use of one wiimote.

• it should have been wiimote and nunchuck, with shooting by the B trigger and the ability to use missiles in 2d mode with the A button , and i believe a flick of the remote would have been awesome and skillful for "sensemove". go into fps view with Z or something. This is still a ridiculously simple control system, but would give oodles more depth to the combat and control of samus
  • in fps mode, it should have been scanning ahoy, as that is what metroid has become after prime, and rightly so, with movement still possible on the nunchuck.
  • lastly, where are the morphball puzzles?! morphball is only being used so far in straight rails, no jumping, spiderballs, double bomb jumps etc. they were among the best bits of prime series, particularly prime 2.

however, i quite like samus's character. If you note, her thoughts make her sound woosy, but she never betrays those thoughts in public, and always acts taciturn. if you played with the sound off, you would not see a different samus than in other games. as people say, if you show me a man who doesnt feel fear, ill show you an idiot. same with samus - yeah she has emotion, but she has the control to never let that affect her actions or show off her fears.

ultimately while there are flaws, if they make a sequel and correct the most common criticisms, it will be one hell of a sight to behold!

a question: if this wasnt metroid, and was some random 3rd party offering with a different hero, what would people say of the game then? better or worse reviews?

Muramasa: the Demon Blade

Around the Network

quoted for attention.

It's true what spoony said. Some people are already so invested in Metroid that other m can do no wrong.

I'll be renting it soon to see for myself, but if this game is nothing like super metroid then I am going to be sorely disappointed. I remember about last year there was a 360 Live game that came out that really nearly replicated the super metroid experience. It was a budget title and was unique in its own way, but it was very enjoyable.

One of the things I loved about supermetroid was that after finishing the game I had only found like 67% of all the items, and in the credits it showed other items remaining, and I was like, he wait a second, how do you get that? And I would search for a good long time to find the rest.

I read a review about otherM and the guy finished the game with 98% completion! What the fuck is that about? I mean, already it looks like one of the best things about SM (exploration) is gone, what with the 'you already have the weapons you just need to reach a certain point to unlock them'... I LIKED finding the weapons and stuff. 

I'm not going to comment further without playing the game, but I really hope Super metroid is on VC because if I'm not satisfied with MOM, I'm just going to go play SM.

theprof00 said:

quoted for attention.

It's true what spoony said. Some people are already so invested in Metroid that other m can do no wrong.

I'll be renting it soon to see for myself, but if this game is nothing like super metroid then I am going to be sorely disappointed. I remember about last year there was a 360 Live game that came out that really nearly replicated the super metroid experience. It was a budget title and was unique in its own way, but it was very enjoyable.

One of the things I loved about supermetroid was that after finishing the game I had only found like 67% of all the items, and in the credits it showed other items remaining, and I was like, he wait a second, how do you get that? And I would search for a good long time to find the rest.

I read a review about otherM and the guy finished the game with 98% completion! What the fuck is that about? I mean, already it looks like one of the best things about SM (exploration) is gone, what with the 'you already have the weapons you just need to reach a certain point to unlock them'... I LIKED finding the weapons and stuff. 

I'm not going to comment further without playing the game, but I really hope Super metroid is on VC because if I'm not satisfied with MOM, I'm just going to go play SM.

You *finish* with 98% completion because this is the first Metroid to really include a post-game. When you end the story, then you can go back with all abilities, find all the collectibles, then fight the real final boss

Indeed, it's impossible to finish the story at 100%, so you need the post-game

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

theprof00 said:

quoted for attention.

It's nothing like Super Metroid, or any other Metroid for that matter.  Exploration is secondary--it almost feels like an afterthought, the story is ham-fisted, and the detail and depth found in the Prime trilogy is almost completely absent here, and there is no scanning or learning about your environment.

The closest thing to it is Fusion, where you're pretty much ordered to follow a set path almost the entire time. 

I'm a lifetime Metroid fan, and I'm sorely disappointed with the game on pretty much all fronts.  Nothing new is added to the game, just the depth of exploration removed and replaced by generally shallow running and shooting, coupled with a variety of questionable design choices that you'll run into as you play.

Super Metroid is still the best of the franchise, followed by Prime, and in my opinion, Zero Mission and Prime 3.

RCTjunkie said:

That is right: I 100% disagree with reviewers who say it taints the series. It's fun, it's fast-pace, and I really like Samus's personality, even if the rabid fanboys are crying that the Samus Nintendo and Team Ninja made isn't exactly like what they wanted. She has feelings, so what? It's an excellent, addicting game that I wish the series was like from the start.

Please tell me there are others that feel the same way as me.... ;_;

im one of the many.Me and rommie now believe this is the best Metroid ever done.We both beated the primes (i skipped echoes tho) and the oldies. But even if we didnt, you shouldnt need people to assure you of your choice, love what you like and be true to yourself.

Around the Network

Its a great game. Enjoyed it more than the Prime series myself. Though, Not above Metroid,  Metroid 2, or super metroid.

loved Other m (read my review) but still my favorite in the series is Prime 3

Sorry but to the person on the last page who said Super Metroid was a quick game. It wasn't, Super Metroid was pretty slow, and Samus felt really sluggish when she jumped.

Metroid Zero Mission was a fast game but Super Metroid? Nah.

It annoys me when everyone gives so much praise to Super Metroid but steps on the rest of the series, Super Metroid was a good game but it had some annoying flaws which everyone likes to forget.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

I really don't get all the hate towards the Prime franchise over this.  The Prime trilogy, especially parts one and three, were very much classic Metroid gameplay--very much in line with Super, Metroid II, and etc.  Again, I think the post that said many of you are just caught up in the fanfare and current joy of Other M was spot on, and once you let that subside--even play some of the older games again, your opinion will change.  Again, you'd have to have really low standards for cinematic quality (like movies and such) to think the writing and storytelling in Other M was anything better than a bad B-movie hitting all the worst Hollywood cliches.

Anyway, I went through the post-game stuff and I'm mixed on it.  Most of it is unnecessary fetch-quest for the sake of giving players crap to collect.  I flat out gave up on three or four items since they were all useless missile expansions anyway and finished the game with 97% collected.  The post-game boss battle was cool, as was the final "true" boss battle, but as I was running around attempting to finish collecting crap, it donned on me just how asinine and dull the maps and gameplay really were.  Hold the d-pad in one direction running through a corridor just shooting.  The exploration was still completely ruined compared to other titles in the series, and just tacking on a bunch of it, essentially post-game just to have "busy work" gameplay was dumb.

Again, the game is fraught with questionable design choices.  I was as frustrated about as often as I had fun, and pretty much none of the bosses were as good as those in the Prime trilogy, except for the ***WARNINGSPOILERkweenSPOILERWARNING***.  The fun and detail of analyzing the bosses and planning a strategic attack was replaced by one of two attack modes:  Shoot power-up beam weapon or switch to first person and spam missiles. 

All my other complaints mentioned before remain valid.  I can recognize iffy design when I see it.  GameInformer, 1up, and Destructoid all have very accurate reviews for this game.  Everything else is blind fanworship.  The kind that makes people trust a religious text despite it promoting violence, abuse, torture, murder, and every other kind of imaginable evil.

Also, I forgot, this game has--hands-down--the absolute worst and most frequent load times of any game on the Wii.  I have a lot of 3rd party games, and none of them have the loading issues this thing does.

And this has turned into a belligerent hate thread as well, big surprise, again official thread

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000