Forums - General Discussion - Internet Charges Where You Live

5 Mbit

No limit.

20 Euro per month.

Around the Network

Italy

7-8Mbps/400-500kbps download/upload

No limits

All local and national phone calls included (calls to cellphones and special numbers excluded)

39€/month plus some euros for the modem in commodatum (but calls to cellphones make the bill rise noticeably)

New subscriptions to most ISPs often are offered the first 3 to 12 months at 19 to 24€, so it could be attractive changing them often, if it weren't for having to change e-mail address, quite long dead times before everything works with the new ISP, sending back the old modem in commodatum if one prefers it (I do because in my zone lightnings strike often and in the past I got quite a lot of modems burned), having to set again the mail client if one prefers it to web mail, etc...

IDK how much more does it cost adding TV, but not everywhere it's possible, last mile is often in an awful state.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

lestatdark said:
marciosmg said:
Portugal rules!

Brazil sucks! 

Haha! You loser!

This represents our conversation!

www.jamesvandermemes.com

i have 10/0.5 Mbs  down/up (don't need more because i only use it for work and play on-line)
no limit
DVR and 120 TV channels
Landline phone ... all for 46€ - about 82 NZD (more than half is for the cable TV service and DVR box rent)

here in Portugal we have lots of ISPs and most of them are good.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

jon1138 said:

Here in France :

-5 to 20 Mb/s (depending on where do you live)

-no data limit

-unlimited phone call (for inner-country calls and certain international calls)

-free TV offer with lots of channels

>>>29,99€/month (or :  15€/month without TV offer and without unlimited phone calls (but in this case, you must have a "France Telecom" subscription : 16€/month)

I'm very envious, even Italian telcos working also in France ask 10€/month less in France than in Italy. Telecom Italia, the former Italian monopolist is the most shameful, here in Italy even its best offers become actually, with an awful mess of additional fees for things that are normally included by competitors and with a tortuous pricing scheme for calls not included in the flat fee, the most expensive subscriptions.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

10Mbps, unlimited data (to my knowledge), digital TV, landline = £35 ($75NZ I think ..)

Here in Australia (Sydney), I have a 20 Mbps cable internet connection

50GB monthly limit after which my speed gets reduced to 256 Kbps.

This is bundled with landline with which I get unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles within Australlia.

All up is $130 australian dollars a month (150 US roughly)

My cable TV costs extra sadly.

marciosmg said:
lestatdark said:
marciosmg said:
Portugal rules!

Brazil sucks! 

Haha! You loser!

This represents our conversation!

That summed it up perfectly. 

Well, I live in a village, so our max speed is 8mbps

We get 8mbps down, 0.5 up.
Unlimited usage, subject to fair policy (basically, no p2p filesharing during peak times)
2 landlines (god knows why), both unlimited domestic calls

It's about £25 a month, I believe.

Because we don't live in a cable area, we get satellite TV (Sky), which comes to about £45 per month, I believe, or something like that - 300 channels, 20-odd HD, inbuilt DVR, two rooms.

I'm about to go to Uni (Kent), where 100mbps down/50mbps up is standard in all rooms and included in the rent.

binary solo said:

I just got a nice present from my ISP. My monthly data allowance got doubled, my internet speed got bumped up by 50% and my monthly bill went down by almost $2 (NZD). But I still think were here in New Zealand get fleeced on our internet costs.

Here's what what I get and what it costs me a month (now) on cable TV cable broadband phone:

15Mbs download speed

40GB per month data useage (extra Gigs cost $2.95 per)

Cable TV

Landline telephone (excludes toll calls)

Price per months $149.75 (about $106 USD)

So, by other countries' standards how am I doing: worse off, better off or about the same?

Sounds horrible. I believe we used to have a 24 Mbps connection with no quota for less than 40€ but I wasn't the one who decided what we had so I don't know the details. Before that, we had a connection with some sort of an IPTV system included in the price but they stopped offering that service.

Anyway, moved out because of my studies and now I have access to the student network. 100 Mbps / 100 Mbps I think, as well as cable TV. However, there's a nasty 5 GB quota per day, it's pretty easy to use more than that. I hate it, I'd rather have a slower connection with no quota. Whenever I play online, I use much of that. Whenever I watch videos online, it uses much of that. And whenever I want to download a demo or even a full game... Let's not even speak about that.