By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Internet Charges Where You Live

I just got a nice present from my ISP. My monthly data allowance got doubled, my internet speed got bumped up by 50% and my monthly bill went down by almost $2 (NZD). But I still think were here in New Zealand get fleeced on our internet costs.

Here's what what I get and what it costs me a month (now) on cable TV + cable broadband + phone:

15Mbs download speed

40GB per month data useage (extra Gigs cost $2.95 per)

Cable TV

Landline telephone (excludes toll calls)

Price per months $149.75 (about $106 USD)

So, by other countries' standards how am I doing: worse off, better off or about the same?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Well, here in Portugal, combined optical fiber lines are cheap nowadays. I have the following:

100 Mbs download speed

No limit download data per month

Cable TV with access to almost 200 channels

Landline telephone

The price per month is 60 euro, which is 77,4 US dollars

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

In the UK

Phone (all calls free anytime) plus broadband @ 13 Mbps plus PVR and VOD with a selection of free movies and Tv shows as well as Iplayer etc thrown in is 48.99 per month.

48.99 GBP = 75 USD

Netherlands:

25Mb internet (no cap)

Digital TV

Cable TV (cause you need a box for Digital so cable is handy in the bedroom)

landline telephone

for 45 euro's = 58 dollars

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I live in a dorm, and so I pay my internet and TV separately. My internet is basically a 100/100 connection that I share with everyone here (still very fast even if it isn't 100/100 for me) with no download limits, and that costs me a little less than $4.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:

Just you wait when you are in grown up world where you have to pay everythng yourself!!!

*shakes fist*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

lestatdark said:

Well, here in Portugal, combined optical fiber lines are cheap nowadays. I have the following:

100 Mbs download speed

Landline telephone

The price per month is 60 euro, which is 77,4 US dollar

I hate you!

I have:

3 Mbs download speed

30GB data per month

Cable TV with access to  about 80 channels

Landline telephone

The price per month is 130 reais, which is 65 dollars.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

NiKKoM said:
Rainbird said:

Just you wait when you are in grown up world where you have to pay everythng yourself!!!

*shakes fist*

I already do! I just happen to have incredibly cheap and awesome internet! I still pay for my cellphone, TV, power, etc.

Here in Australia,

59.95 AUD (54 USD), about 5mp/s, 25GB of data, and then after I use the 25GB's the speed is shaped to 64kb/s.... Yea I don't ever want to hear anyone complain about what they get.  

marciosmg said:
lestatdark said:

100 Mbs download speed

Landline telephone

The price per month is 60 euro, which is 77,4 US dollar

I hate you!

I have:

3 Mbs download speed

30GB data per month

Cable TV with access to  about 80 channels

Landline telephone

The price per month is 130 reais, which is 65 dollars.

Well, with all the crappy stuff that Portugal have, at least we're in the leading pack when it comes to internet access XD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"