By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 20 Best Selling New IPs of 2010

CGI-Quality said:

I sense a bit of jealousy. Could it be.....?

Pffft. Darksider's has a giant sword and a horse. Clearly it's the better IP!

Haha. To be serious though I think Darksiders is an overlooked gem (even though it's second in sales on that list). It came out around the time of Bayonetta which was being heavily hyped due to the team behind it and it's incredibly over the top and awesome combat system. It was also dubbed a GoW/Zelda clone which in my mind gave it less credit than deserved. I'm quite surprised (and happy) it has done so well commercially.

In my view I'd say it's more a DMC/Zelda fusion and the combat could get quite deep if you used your primary and secondary weapons together while switching between the various items in the game on the fly and incorporating them in battle as well. It's also one of the few games this gen that really took me back to the golden days of gaming by just feeling retro. Constant character progression, tons of collectables, a bunch of weapons to collect and upgrade and some really awesome platforming and puzzles. And what I really love about it is just how true to itself it remains. It doesn't try to push on an immense amount of confusing lore or show you extravagant sequences. It just lets you play and tinker with all the tools it provides. It's a lot like Brutal Legend in that respect (another game I absolutely adore).

Anyways I digress. I'm glad Heavy Rain and Darksiders are doing so well and am happy to see a good collection of new IP's hitting the gaming industry with their own take on old concepts as well as bringing something new to the table.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Is this thread broken?

I think so. It keeps saying there are new posts when there aren't.

priteshmodi said:
d21lewis said:

Is this thread broken?

I think so. It keeps saying there are new posts when there aren't.

Been happening to me since it was made, no idea why

Updated:

Art Academy jumps up all the way from 19th to 15th, looks like another Nintendo hit

ZhuZhu Pets drops from 15th to 16th

Sports Champions enters the top 20 at 17th position

Alpha Protocol drops from 16th to 18th

Metro 2033 drops from 18th to out of the top 20

4 games over 1 million
1 between 750k and 1 million
5 at 500-750k
10 at 300-500k

it seems that Sony Computer Entertainments are the Masters of selling new IP's, jus the fact they have a strong track record displays SCE are pumping out games left right and centre. 

Nitendo rarely throwing out an New IP for Wii, with such large first party support you would be doing what Sony Does with every platform and that is pump out new IP's to spawn heaps of franchises which it can out source to 3rd party. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

Cool. IP is the abbreviation of...?

man i hope allan wake sells at least 1.5milion that game is awsome.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Wouldn't say that any on the list is a must own, but glad that I've played/playing the top 3 there.

My website: Precocious Ragamuffin

Sensei said:

Cool. IP is the abbreviation of...?

Intellectual Property (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

My website: Precocious Ragamuffin

Update

Alan Wake crosses the 750k sales mark

Sports Champions jumps from 17th to 12th

Sniper: Ghost Warrior drops from 12th to 13th

Nier drops 13th to 14th

Dark Void drops from 14th to 15th

Art Academy drops from 15th to 16th

ZhuZhu Pets drops from 16th to 17th

Great week for Sports Champions, it was adjusted up as well
Art Academy has another really strong week too