By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does 2010 Have the Best Line Up of Games of All Time?

2010 is one hell of year, but honestly, I think 2011 is looking better at this point.

Games I'm totally stoked about in 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Remake
The Last Guardian
Metal Gear Solid: Rising
Uncharted 3 (I'm assuming??)
Killzone 3
Portal 2
Shogun 2: Total War

Though 2010 is certainly amazing.  LittleBigPlanet 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 alone could carry a year, imo.

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:

I think 2010 was most balanced year in gaming, but for this year only God of war 3 and Heavy Rain might make it to "one of best games of this generation".

And after crazy 2009..No way.

Both mass effect 2 and mario galaxy 2 are more likely to make it into one of the best games of this generation unless that comment is just your personal opinion because they both have more critical acclaim then god of war 3 and heavy rain.

Otherwise this year is defenitly one of the biggest for gamers in general, because while people might have personal favorites that came out before or are coming out in later years, 2010 had at least a couple very good games for every genre, especially action, rpgs, and platformers, as well as the most popular titles in the shooting, RTS, and racing genres.

I'd said it before, and I'll say it again, still today no year has surpassed 1998.

Some gems of that wonderful year:

The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time

Starcraft

Metal Gear Solid

Xenogears

Tekken 3

Gran Turismo

Reisdent Evil 2

Quake 2 (well december 1997, but who cares :P)

Half-Life

Alundra

Spyro The Dragon

enrageorange said:
Simulacrum said:

I think 2010 was most balanced year in gaming, but for this year only God of war 3 and Heavy Rain might make it to "one of best games of this generation".

Both mass effect 2 and mario galaxy 2 are more likely to make it into one of the best games of this generation unless that comment is just your personal opinion on what your favorite game of this gene is because they both have more critical acclaim then god of war 3 and heavy rain.

Otherwise this year is defenitly one of the biggest for gamers in general, because while people might have personal favorites that came out before or are coming out in later years, 2010 had at least a couple very good games for every genre, especially action, rpgs, and platformers, as well as the most popular titles in the shooting, RTS, and racing genres.

It's not the best, but it has still be a good year.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
enrageorange said:
Simulacrum said:

Both mass effect 2 and mario galaxy 2 are more likely to make it into one of the best games of this generation unless that comment is just your personal opinion on what your favorite game of this gene is because they both have more critical acclaim then god of war 3 and heavy rain.

Just my personal opinion. I know games like Red Dead Redemption scored more but I don't know..And 2011 is gonna be best year ever.

Take my love, take my land..

The sheer number of shooters may not compare but the quality is high.  Same for 'sandbox' whatever that is exactly.  I'm not sure of the difference between an action or western RPG in a sandbox setting and RDR or AC2 with all their rpg elements.  I recognize AC as different from a Fallout but RDR is somewhere in between just as ME2 falls between RPG and TPS.  Clarify my confusion if you can.  Sorry, an idea for another thread maybe. 

On topic I will say that imho and as a 360 only gamer no year has come close to 2010 in the number of quality titles in the genres I enjoy.  There are another half-dozen great games still to come.  There will be more legitimate contenders for 2010 GOTY than in recent years.  I can't comment on the quality of arcade and other downloadable titles but xbl and psn are quickly growing in volume, there was a lot of very good add-on dlc this year and again, there's more to come.  It's early but from the lists above, next year's line-up has only a few titles that I consider as must-own.            

I don't know about ever... but as a platformer junkie, I couldn't be happier this year. I mean, just look at that list!

And don't get me started on what this year means to me as a Sonic fan. I mean, the first 2D console Sonic game in almost 15 years? And a 3D Sonic that hasn't completed the Sonic cycle? Awesome.

This year is sooo great for a gamer like me. It's truly a joy to be part of the industry during this time. ^_^

I read this on my phone ealier, but I can't reply to threads on my phone (stupid iphone), so I had to wait all day until I got home... grrr

Anyway, No I disagree, 2007 was a much better year for gaming, and I will compare games to show why.

Now first of all, a lot of 2007 games saw another installment to the franchise in 2010. Games like Halo: Reach - Halo 3, CoD4: Modern Warfare - CoD: Black Ops, Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2, Madden/NCAA/FIFA/NBA/Tiger Woods/NHL/NBA (well all yearly sports games) 2008 -2011, Bioshock - Bioshock 2, Guitar Hero 3 - Whatever came out this year, Rock Band 1-3, Metroid Prime 3 - Other M, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Picross DS - Picross 3D, Supreme Commander - Supreme Commander 2,Civ IV - Civ V, Assassin's Creed 1 - Brotherhood.

Also many games of 2007 were simply better then 2011 titles, Lost Planet >> Lost Planet 2, Modern Warfare (to most) > Black Ops, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl > HeartGold/SoulSilver, Picross DS > Picross 3D.

Also for 2007 there were

Shooter: Halo, Modern Warfare, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter 2, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament 3, Uncharted, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Medal of Honor Heros 2, Crysis

RPG: Mass Effect, Folklore, Oblivion (PS3), Super Paper Mario (Is it an RPG like other Paper Marios? dunno, sry if it placed it wrong), Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Rune Factory, Final Fantasy XII: Revanent Wings, Disgaea (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Jeanne d'Arc, Jade Empire (PC),

Racing: Forza Motorsport 2, Project Gotham Racing 4, DiRT, FlatOut, Burnout: Paradise, Motorstorm, Burnout Dominator

Platform: Ratchet & Clank (x2!), Super Mario Galaxy

Flight: Ace Combat 6, Warhawk

Action: Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Scarface (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Syphon Filter (PSP), Assassin's Creed

Fighting: Virtua Fighter 5, Bleach

Dance: DDR Universe

Strategy: Battlestations: Midway, Supreme Commander, Company of Heros, World in Conflict, Civilization IV

Puzzle: Zack and Wiki, Puzzle Quest, Planet Puzzle League, Picross DS, Crush

Sports: Madden/NCAA/FIFA/NBA/MLB/Tiger Woods/ any yearly release, Super Mario Strikers: Charged

So as you see, 2007 was better... Just not in Dance and Fighting games.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

GT5 alone puts it in about the top 5 years for games of all time.

But yeah this is a very strong lineup this year. Its hard to say if its the best ever or not. LA Noire, Agent and SOCOM 4 this year sure would have helped that argument.