By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does 2010 Have the Best Line Up of Games of All Time?

So...looking at this year it has dawned on me that this is likely the peak year for diversity of content in this generation given where the bases are and trends in software purchasing.

Fighting: Super Street Fighter IV, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Blazblue, couple others.

Sports: NBA Jam, Sports Champions, Madden, NCAA, NBA Elite, NBA 2k, MLB 2k, MLB the Show, Fifa, World Cup, PES, WWE, MMA, Motion Sports, Tony Hawk, Shaun White,  Kinect Sports, Deca Sports 3, Inazuma Eleven 3, NHL, Inazuma Eleven Wii, etc.

Racing: Gran Turismo 5, Need for Speed, Kinect Joyride, others

Platformer: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country: Returns, Little Big Planet 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Flip's Twisted World, Sonic Colors, Epic Mickey, Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Super Meat Boy, Super Mario Collection, Prince of Persia, And Yet it Moves, Mario vs. DK, Bit Trip Runner, Cave Story, Mega Man 10, and other indie titles.

RPG: Monster Hunter 3, Monster Hunter 3G, Dragon Quest IX, Bioshock 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Mass Effect 2, Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts DS, Kingdom Hearts PSP, Dragon Quest VI, Pokemon Black / White, Fable III, Fallout, Dark Siders, FF: 4 Heroes of Light, etc.

FPS: Halo: Reach, Goldeneye Wii, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Metroid, Crackdown 2, Quantum, Lost Planet 2.

Singing & Dancing: Just Dance 2, Dance Central, Michael Jackson, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Rockband, Dance Dance Revolution, Dance Masters, Zoomba, Broadway Musical, Def Jam, Singstar others.

Fitness: Your Shape Kinect, others.

Sandbox: Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Action: Splinter Cell, Kinect Adventures, DQM: Joker 2, MGS: Peace Walker, Red Steel 2, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, Pokepark, My Sims: Sky Heroes, Sengoku Basara, God of War III, Castlevania, Lego Harry Potter, etc

Strategy: Starcraft II, RUSE, Fire Emblem...not much.

Party / New / Other: Wii Party, Create, Start the Party, Art Academy, Kinectimals, Invizimals, Layton, Super Scribblenauts, Carnival Games, etc.

I would say generally that it looks like it an exceptionally strong year for Platformers, Sports, Singing & Dancing, Action and RPG stuff - shooters / racing and some of the other genres are seeing OK years but the market is concentrated on only a few hits. Weak year for sandbox, party, fitness and strategy stuff.

My five main genres are Platformers, Strategy, Fighting, Sports and niche / indie stuff so its a good year for me in terms of new content - best year for platformers since I was like six, and a couple good games from the sports, rpgs, niche, and fighting genres for me as well. I'm getting through my strategy backlog on DS too, so I'm rather satisfied in all five counts at the moment.

What do you all think of 2010 as compared to other recent years?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

You seriously didn't put Starcraft II under strategy games?

Personally, no 2010 does not have the most awesome lineup ever, because 2011 has that crown for me right now. Journey, Guild Wars 2, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City and inFamous 2 are all games that are bound to rank very highly in my personal collection, and 2010 just can't compete, even though 2010 still is pretty epic!

I think 2010 was most balanced year in gaming, but for this year only God of war 3 and Heavy Rain might make it to "one of best games of this generation".

And after crazy 2009..No way.

Take my love, take my land..

1998!!!

Short list:

Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
Gran Turismo (PS1)
Final Fantasy Tactics
(PS1)
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Win)
Tekken 3 (PS1)
Parasite Eve (PS1)
StarCraft (Win)
Might and Magic VI: (Win)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sat)
Warhammer: Dark Omen (Win)
Unreal (Win)
Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (Win)
I-War (Independence War) (Win)
Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
Fallout 2 (Win)
Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow (GBC)
Xenogears (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Grim Fandango (Win)
SiN (Win)
Heretic 2 (Win)
Half-Life (Win)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
StarCraft: Brood War (Win)
Starsiege: Tribes (Win)
Thief: The Dark Project (Win)
Baldur's Gate (Win)
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (Win)
 Blood II: The Chosen (Win)
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity (Win)
Myth II: Soulblighter (Win)
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64)

alright I lumped in the last one....

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Mortal Kombat 2

Nuff said!

Around the Network

Action: Kinect adventures? lol really now? So much fail in your list sorry.

OT: No, but it is one of THE best, it all comes down to personal preferences but from the looks of it, 2011 will be stronger. and also 2009 was as strong or stronger too imo

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Every year is the greatest year for games, hell 2011 is even looking as awesome if not better then 2010.

While 2010 has alot of heavy hitters next yr looks to be bigger. i think its slightly behind last yr.

Might wanna move Crackdown 2 from "FPS" to "Sandbox"....

About your list, maybe not the best year, but one of the best for sure...

And then you even missed all the downloadable ones :).

But 2011 looks to be great aswell :).

Batman: Arkham City (2)
Battlefield 3 
Beyond Good & Evil 2 (?)
BioShock Infinite (or that was 2012?)
Brink 
Crysis 2 
Dead Space 2 
Doom 4 (Or does this one release after Rage?).
Driver: San Francisc
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Possible I guess)
Gears of War 3
Infamous 2
Last Guardian
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 
Lego Harry Potter years 5-7 (?).
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Mortal Kombat
Metal Gear Solid: Rising 
Portal 2 
The Secret World 
Twisted metal

And a big pile of 3DS games :).

And a lot of other stuff I forget at the moment =p.