By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Yeah my copy came this morning. The sexism comments are joke as sad joke at that.

Yeah... I also love the people bringing up the videos taken out of context and when you play them within the context of the game it all makes sense... really all of the complaints this review had only last for the first quarter of the game... which only makes you think... did they play all of it or just a few hours in

No, you can't just go "It's out of context", unless you ALSO give us what the context is supposed to be. Otherwise it's a weasel term.

Haha weasel term, no its part not being a douche and spoiling the story of a brand new game the other thing is... play the fucking game that's the context

That's still not good enough. By asking for context, I'm clearly asking for spoilers. I'm clearly asking to be told why what looks like Samus acting in a way that goes against everything in the series is not what it looks like.

And "play the game" is NOT an acceptable answer, not just for me, but for the rest of us who don't even want to touch the game from what we've seen.

Surely the 2-hour cinema mode has been uploaded by now. That could at least provide the readers' digest version of the entire story, and the context you crave without having to drop $50 or roll around some torrenting sites for a while

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Now that I've played the part that she is harping about, she is REALLY off-base, in context those scenes make perfect sense and are not sexist, if anything she is sexist by drawing attention to it.

I just listened to her review...... wow, she sounds like an angry youtube reviewer....

spdk1 said:

Now that I've played the part that she is harping about, she is REALLY off-base, in context those scenes make perfect sense and are not sexist, if anything she is sexist by drawing attention to it.

Again, what's the context?

This reminds me of videos of politicians doing some really stupid things, and their defenders just cry "it's out of context!" as though that alone is enough to silence the critics. This is what I meant by weasel tactics before, BTW.

We shouldn't have to watch all the scenes or play the game if the context makes it clear. If it's clear, you all can explain the context to us.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
spdk1 said:

This reminds me of videos of politicians doing some really stupid things, and their defenders just cry "it's out of context!" as though that alone is enough to silence the critics. This is what I meant by weasel tactics before, BTW.

We shouldn't have to watch all the scenes or play the game if the context makes it clear. If it's clear, you all can explain the context to us.

I think your definition of in and out of context differs from my own. Simply put Samus is helping out on GF mission, a condition of her be allowed to stay on that mission, is to follow orders like the rest of the soldiers there. It would be sexist if she the only woman on the team were allowed to get away with not following orders because then she would be getting special treatment based on her gender. She gets treatment as the rest of the soldiers who all happen to be male. That is the very anthesis of sexism.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
spdk1 said:

I think your definition of in and out of context differs from my own. Simply put Samus is helping out on GF mission, a condition of her be allowed to stay on that mission, is to follow orders like the rest of the soldiers there. It would be sexist if she the only woman on the team were allowed to get away with not following orders because then she would be getting special treatment based on her gender. She gets treatment as the rest of the soldiers who all happen to be male. That is the very anthesis of sexism.

Um, Abbie didn't mean sexism in terms of how Samus is treated by the characters in the game. She meant how Samus is characterized. Had what you mentioned been the only thing, it's likely Abbie wouldn't have called it sexist.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Abbe and many others got pissy baout the PTSD scene where "a big strong man comes to save samus" which is not what happens, she obviously has no idea what she's talking about as that is a real way that it could manifest.  PTSD is not like a fear of heights, you can't go on an elevator and magically get over it, it stays with folks in many different ways.  Ridley killed her friggin family, even if she did kill him twice I would bet that there would be some stress there, no wonder that set her off.  He has become tripped up before in the games, but folks don't seem to like this idea.  In super metroid, right before Ridly picks up the baby, Samus sits motionless for a while, to me that is VERY similiar.  This has been pointed out around 50 times from other folks that have also played the game, the fact that folks refuse to get the game and hide behind abbe's and Mastrom's opinion despite all of the positive reviews rather than making their own irritates me.

You guys wanted Nintendo to add character to some games, well guess what Samus has character now and she isn't a butch female version of master chief.  She has fears emotions, problems with other folks etc... 

Oh Noes!!

RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Um, Abbie didn't mean sexism in terms of how Samus is treated by the characters in the game. She meant how Samus is characterized. Had what you mentioned been the only thing, it's likely Abbie wouldn't have called it sexist.

Who are you going to trust more? The people here on VGC who have made several thousand posts, so it's likely that you know them quite well, or a gaming journalist?

Other M may not be the Metroid that the fans wanted, but it can't be so bad that we trust gaming journalists now. Right?

I distrust them for prejudices, like how a game is automatically not as good because it's one the Wii, or for letting reviews basically be bought. Identifying with a strong character, and feeling that everything great about that character is stripped away is not a prejudice or gushing because they need to hype a game for revenue. It's an opinion that can be discussed (not just dismissed).

Now I'll give that likely wasn't sexist in terms of deliberately demeaning women, but it's still turning a great character into a joke.

LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Who are you going to trust more? The people here on VGC who have made several thousand posts, so it's likely that you know them quite well, or a gaming journalist?

Other M may not be the Metroid that the fans wanted, but it can't be so bad that we trust gaming journalists now. Right?

I distrust them for prejudices, like how a game is automatically not as good because it's one the Wii, or for letting reviews basically be bought. Identifying with a strong character, and feeling that everything great about that character is stripped away is not a prejudice or gushing because they need to hype a game for revenue. It's an opinion that can be discussed (not just dismissed).

Now I'll give that likely wasn't sexist in terms of deliberately demeaning women, but it's still turning a great character into a joke.

That line is a joke lol but really you've done nothing but scream WEASEL TACTICS! Whenever someone is like "play the game you'll get it" the reason for this?  Cause you really just need to experience it to get the effect, its not something you can get watching the couple minute long cut scene, *SPOILER* the fight with Ridley was a build up in the game and hell even a surprise if people wouldn't FUCKING SPOIL IT, the entire game has some WHERE DID THAT COME FROM moments so spoilers in general can ruin this game.  

The only problem I would say is legit is the having to get permission to use your suit upgrades, it could easily be worked in that your suit was badly damaged and the upgrades no longer work, the weapons make sense since you're under command of a superior officer and his reasons are laid out like this, you don't know the threats within the station, powerful weapons can be harmful to civilians and teammates, and you're not authorized unless you HAVE to have it... all of this is explained within the first few minutes you cannot miss it or misconstrue it as sexism the entire team has to follow these orders.  

I really don't know why you would even listen to a review that doesn't even focus on the smooth and down right badass game play but would rather harp on something that doesn't exist in the game.  I mean when you and a bunch of people who haven't even played the game are the only ones supporting the downright stupid opinions of this and similar reviews and the people who have played and beaten it are telling you the things they're using as points are taken out of context... why would you continue to follow the misguided opinions?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

That's the thing. You can't strip away something that isn't there. Traditionally Nintendo have avoided giving their characters detailed personalities. Simply put, Abbie didn't like Samus' personality in Other M because she'd had her own preconceived vision of what Samus was supposed to be. Her idolized Samus and the actual Samus aren't the same and she threw a fit about it. This is the danger of Nintendo "filling in the blanks" of their characters. People have their own ideas built up over more than two decades of how a character is supposed to be and they don't like when you deviate from their vision.