By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

She is correct

Sakamoto ruined the Samus making her a real pussy in need of a man to save her

His wet dream of what Samus is in his head

He fucked this game up big time 

Around the Network

After playing it twice from start to finish I still am just boggled at how it is sexist.

I really dont think Other M is sexist, it's just a bit jarring. Why would such a strong character suddenly start submitting to somebody else's will? They actually make a good point about the Varia suit and I had the exact same thought. Could Samus not think to do that herself? But it speaks volumes about the reviewers themselves, they perceived it as sexist because Adam is male... but really it was just poor game design.

Oh and I'm not ripping into Other M, I'm actually quite enjoying it, it just has quite a few niggles here and there.

Games4Fun said:

After playing it twice from start to finish I still am just boggled at how it is sexist.

Well from the point of view of a lady gamer looking to Samus as a truly strong female character, especially with being female not being an issue before, this change can seem like either trying to downgrade the character (sexist in the sense of not allowing strong female characters), or trying to appeal to female gamers by making Samus stereotypically female (sexist in the sense of assuming that's what lady gamers want).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Oh please, I bet if any of the male naysayers saw a Ridley-like beast popping out in their front they'd go mental a lot worse than Samus did.

I find it sexist to find that sexist :P

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:

Oh please, I bet if any of the male naysayers saw a Ridley-like beast popping out in their front they'd go mental a lot worse than Samus did :P

How does that apply here? We aren't battle-hardened warriors who fought monsters.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Games4Fun said:

Well from the point of view of a lady gamer looking to Samus as a truly strong female character, especially with being female not being an issue before, this change can seem like either trying to downgrade the character (sexist in the sense of not allowing strong female characters), or trying to appeal to female gamers by making Samus stereotypically female (sexist in the sense of assuming that's what lady gamers want).

You don't even know anything about the game... you can't prove it's sexist or not cause you've spent all your time agreeing with crappy reviews and articles instead of... you know playing the game... but its obvious you're not gonna do that either... there is a content rule you know so if you've got no proof (ya know content) then it's breaking the rules.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Games4Fun said:

You don't even know anything about the game... you can't prove it's sexist or not cause you've spent all your time agreeing with crappy reviews and articles instead of... you know playing the game... but its obvious you're not gonna do that either... there is a content rule you know so if you've got no proof (ya know content) then it's breaking the rules.

I didn't claim it was sexist. I was just trying to explain why her point of view it seems sexist. Did you actually pay attention to what I wrote?

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

This post ( http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3618026 ) explains the apparent sexism well.

"I think Metroid Other M is suffering from being written and made with a Japanese audience in mind.  In Japan, women are expected to let men protect them instead of defending themselves.  To a Japanese person, Samus's characterization would be seen as normal whereas in the West, it is seen as sexist and offensive.  Samus is portrayed in Other M as weak for the same reason Final Fantasy games have bishonen characters in them, it is to appeal to a Japanese demographic who are the main demographic for those type of games."

That's not inherent sexism even though, it's a cultural disconnect.  And past that, I'd argue the analysis is off the mark anyway, it's more about vulnerability than weakness.  Samus isn't 'weak' in this game, but she is damaged and vulnerable.  She's essentially gone from perfect Mary Sue to fucked up Human Being.

Again, a male could've filled Samus exact role in those scenes, and it wouldn't have made any narrative difference (male panicking and being rescued, male taking orders from a male commanding officer).  Only hypocritical attention seekers with bad sleeve tattoos probably wouldn't have called them sexist.

That's what that poster meant. How can you counter with the very point made? That makes it look as though you didn't really read it.

I read it, my viewpoint is that it didn't go far enough, don't make so many assumptions.  People seeing "sexism" in Other M don't seem to understand what sexism actually is.

LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Games4Fun said:

I didn't claim it was sexist. I was just trying to explain why her point of view it seems sexist. Did you actually pay attention to what I wrote?

When there is nothing there to actually BE sexist it can't seem like it... its not called a man giving a woman orders, its called a chain of command and the person giving orders is someone that she loves... she isn't even stereotypically female she was put in the hero role, the one that wants to save everyone and nothing less *spoiler* when Adam had to make the choice to let his brother die so everyone would live she wanted to risk her life to save him, when Ridley knocked off Anthony after he covered her ass, she clearly wanted to go save him but it would have gotten them both killed, instead of you know killing Ridley.  

There really is nothing there to pull the fucking sexist card unless you pull it out of your ass and that's whats being done here, just let this shit die *sigh*

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000