By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

mhsillen said:
Farmageddon said:

I'll go for a single answer.

No, people here are not hardened soldiers, but the point is that being either male or female is not what's gonna decide if that reaction would make sense. So if sex has no bearing in dictating if that could or could not happen, there's no way that scene can be sexist.

Thus, it only makes sense to say that scene is so if you actually believe that someone is supposed to always freak out on that situation if it's a woman but supposed to never do so if it's a man. Now, that's sexist thinking.

Also, so what a man saves her. Would it be ok if another woman saved her? Besides, how many men has she saved before? Are those men less of a man because of that? Again, that'd be a sexist interpretation. So basically if you ever need help, or anyone sacrifices for yourself, you're a woman. Right, Sakamoto is the sexist one.

So yeah, you don't need to like the sequence, but calling it sexist makes no sense. Ripley killed her friking parents when she was a child. And the damn thing seems like it actually never dies, as it had told her before. Sure only a woman could ever gasp for thirty seconds on that situation.

this is the same Samus who did not show fear in earlier games. That was her personality.  

This is another MOM character it is not Samus it is an impostor. 

I think I'm mostly alone. mostly  in my feelings and disappointment and I realize my bloviating  meter is in the red

So I hope they will make another metriod with fans like me in mind

Hey, I'm not even even debating if this makes sense with the character or not. But nothing of what you said helps support the notion that the game's sexist, and that's what I'm arguing about.

Also, she was kind of paralized on Super Metroid before that metroid saves her, no? :P

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:
mhsillen said:
Farmageddon said:

I'll go for a single answer.

No, people here are not hardened soldiers, but the point is that being either male or female is not what's gonna decide if that reaction would make sense. So if sex has no bearing in dictating if that could or could not happen, there's no way that scene can be sexist.

Thus, it only makes sense to say that scene is so if you actually believe that someone is supposed to always freak out on that situation if it's a woman but supposed to never do so if it's a man. Now, that's sexist thinking.

Also, so what a man saves her. Would it be ok if another woman saved her? Besides, how many men has she saved before? Are those men less of a man because of that? Again, that'd be a sexist interpretation. So basically if you ever need help, or anyone sacrifices for yourself, you're a woman. Right, Sakamoto is the sexist one.

So yeah, you don't need to like the sequence, but calling it sexist makes no sense. Ripley killed her friking parents when she was a child. And the damn thing seems like it actually never dies, as it had told her before. Sure only a woman could ever gasp for thirty seconds on that situation.

this is the same Samus who did not show fear in earlier games. That was her personality.  

This is another MOM character it is not Samus it is an impostor. 

I think I'm mostly alone. mostly  in my feelings and disappointment and I realize my bloviating  meter is in the red

So I hope they will make another metriod with fans like me in mind

Hey, I'm not even even debating if this makes sense with the character or not. But nothing of what you said helps support the notion that the game's sexist, and that's what I'm arguing about.

Also, she was kind of paralized on Super Metroid before that metroid saves her, no? :P

If Ridley had used some kind of stun ray here, I think a lot of the controversy would have been settled.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Farmageddon said:

If Ridley had used some kind of stun ray here, I think a lot of the controversy would have been settled.

Ha, true :)

Details :P

Farmageddon said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Farmageddon said:

BTW, I'm not against this direction, just the execution. Giving her fewer words, no freakouts, and overall using less-is-more approaches, could have pleased both those for and against this game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Farmageddon said:

BTW, I'm not against this direction, just the execution. Giving her fewer words, no freakouts, and overall using less-is-more approaches, could have pleased both those for and against this game.

Now this is true. Not necessarilly to say Sakamoto made a mistake by not doing that, but it sure would get a lot less hate.

Around the Network

The "less is more" approach has always worked best for a character like Samus.

After playing through the first hour of Other M, it really does feel like the makers basically turned back the clock and rewrote the character.

Not that it takes away from the game, but if I were a stickler for this kind of thing, I don't know if I'd consider this Samus to be "canon."

Just offhand, why is she so small? She looks about 5'5, 5'6" 115 lbs tops in the flashback cut scenes when Samus has been described as 6'3", 198 lbs since Super Metroid thanks to her Chozo DNA. Basically, she's an Amazon. Physically imposing even without her Chozo armor.

So was she in the Galactic Federation Police before she finished Chozo puberty? Grew about a foot and 80 lbs of sinew, bone and muscle after she left?

The crux of her having this chip on her shoulder had to do with her being female, smaller, weaker, etc. but based on the Samus fleshed out from the original games, she should have been among the biggest, probably the strongest (Alien DNA!) member on the team. It just doesn't mesh, but whatever; every designer is free to take creative liberties to an extent.

greenmedic88 said:

The "less is more" approach has always worked best for a character like Samus.

After playing through the first hour of Other M, it really does feel like the makers basically turned back the clock and rewrote the character.

Not that it takes away from the game, but if I were a stickler for this kind of thing, I don't know if I'd consider this Samus to be "canon."

Just offhand, why is she so small? She looks about 5'5, 5'6" 115 lbs tops in the flashback cut scenes when Samus has been described as 6'3", 198 lbs since Super Metroid thanks to her Chozo DNA. Basically, she's an Amazon. Physically imposing even without her Chozo armor.

So was she in the Galactic Federation Police before she finished Chozo puberty? Grew about a foot and 80 lbs of sinew, bone and muscle after she left?

The crux of her having this chip on her shoulder had to do with her being female, smaller, weaker, etc. but based on the Samus fleshed out from the original games, she should have been among the biggest, probably the strongest (Alien DNA!) member on the team. It just doesn't mesh, but whatever; every designer is free to take creative liberties to an extent.

Wait, she really acted like that because she was a woman, not just because that was her older personality?

LordTheNightKnight said:

Wait, she really acted like that because she was a woman, not just because that was her older personality?

I'm saying her being a woman would have had little or no bearing on her status on a direct action type paramilitary team if she was the Amazonian/Alien hybrid she was in the original Metroid games, which she's been since childhood due to being infused with Chozo DNA to make her tougher (and more believable as a one-woman army who does the impossible).

Anyway, the characterization for Samus in Other M just wouldn't have worked if she was a towering woman when she was a member of the Galactic police. In order to make her seem emotionally vulnerable, they literally made her look physically vulnerable too, which is taking a big liberty with a well-established character.

Okay I think the topic has just run its course cause it just won't die, we have an official thread for discussion, I really didn't think anyone would be foolish enough to continue this thread let alone listen to this woman, but to each their own.

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

LordTheNightKnight said:
Aiddon said:

"Um, by that logic, every other game character is a Sue".

THAT'S WHAT I JUST SAID. Yes, every other game protagonist is a Sue, a proxy for the player to project onto as an escapist wish-fulfillment. Crono and Serge in the Chrono series are this, Link is, Samus used to be, Gordon Freeman is, Master Chief is, Marcus Fenix is, Kratos is (from God of War 2 onward anyway), every protagonist in the Shin Megami Tensei series, every hero in the Dragon Quest series, and nearly every hero ever created in every Western RPG. They're Sues, I'll admit that, it's common as hell in gaming since its purpose is to entertain, not necesarilly tell a story. In story-heavy games though things change; the protagonists are more defined and have characteristics and flaws (though a lot of RPGs still do the silent protagonist thing) such as Fei Fong Wong, Ashley Riot, Aya Brea, Lenneth Valkyrie, Cloud Strife, Cecil Harvey, Dante, Nero, Tidus, and now our current Samus. They're no longer Sues, they're defined characters that we can't project onto but that we can use to guide us through the narrative.

Proxy for the players is not a definition of a Sue. Chrono doesn't beat Lavos when everyone else failed. Magus didn't turn to good because Chrono showed him it was right in some vague manner. Chrono didn't have all the girls in the game fawning over him.

This is worse than calling Luke Skywalker a Sue because he got promoted fast, as though all the other fast promotions in the series don't count.

The original (and still commonly used) definition of Sue/Stu is "Author/Audience Avatar" and was coined by a fanzine's editor as a slam against all the over-idealized characters in Star Trek fanfiction that lacked noteworthy flaws as they were a proxy for the author. For video games this would be "player avatar" as you can't really have flaws when you have no character which is what proxies like Crono, Darth Revan, and Commander Shepard are. Their whole point is that THEY are supposed to be YOU. FACT