By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

richardhutnik said:

At this point, call me an intellectual coward, or whatever the article on here called people who said, "but it is just a game!" but I have SERIOUS issues where a gane would get dragged to a 2/5 level because of voice action or how a character is fleshed out.  A GAME needs to be evaluated based on game things first, like: gameplay, controls, graphics, sound, etc.... 

I wouldn't call you an intellectual coward. I'd call you a gamer using common sense.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

This whole Other M controversy is classic example of Nintendo being damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Hardcore" gamers complained about Nintendo games not being story based and their lead characters lacking voice acting, so a Nintendo game is release with those features and everyone is happy right? Nope, just more bitching.

Well considering that minset is just demanding that Nintendo copy the other developers, I really have to side against that notion.

But here's it's more how bad the story is than there being a story.

Samus somehow wanting to prove she can follow orders makes about as much sense as Bella Swan causing such massive waves among the vampires and werewolves.

Is there even a flashback explaining why she suddenly wanted to show she could follow orders, or are we told she just wants to do that?

Yes, actually. They show that she used to act rebellious against him (presumably in her teenage years), just because she knew she could get away with it.

On the other point, she did make a point to mention that the destruction of Zebes also meant the demise of Ridley

That just means why she didn't obey orders, not why she suddenly wants to show she can follow them.

Now granting that the other times she fought him, she might have not thought he died those times, but that just means she'd be surprised, not crippled with fear, since even if she didn't think she killed him, she still fought him and beat him multiple times.

It's not as though when she fought Ridley those times, she had to do it like Sarah Connor in the first Terminator. She actually fight Ridley and one, more than once.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

She clearly wants to show she is mature and not some obnoxious child. Did it ever cross your mind that she may wonder if she can truly kill RIdley. If you keep "killing" something and it comes back repeatedly, it may begin to freak you out.

Darc Requiem said:

She clearly wants to show she is mature and not some obnoxious child. Did it ever cross your mind that she may wonder if she can truly kill RIdley. If you keep "killing" something and it comes back repeatedly, it may begin to freak you out.

1. That means you follow sensible orders, like staying with the group, and sticking to certain tactics. Limiting weapons only makes sense if there are certain situations, and there is no such explaination giving for why you can suddenly use a weapon now. If it was something like missiles are dangerous in a room, that would mean only that room restricts them.

2. Did it every cross your mind that I was still taking that into account? And did it ever cross your mind that wondering if you can ever kill him is still different than going into total trauma mode?

If you make a game to explore a character, that character should still act in ways human beings would act.

And Samus didn't conquer her fear of Ridely because she thought she killed him. She conquered her fear because she got stronger. That is why her freaking out is wrong.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

This whole Other M controversy is classic example of Nintendo being damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Hardcore" gamers complained about Nintendo games not being story based and their lead characters lacking voice acting, so a Nintendo game is release with those features and everyone is happy right? Nope, just more bitching.

Well considering that minset is just demanding that Nintendo copy the other developers, I really have to side against that notion.

Samus somehow wanting to prove she can follow orders makes about as much sense as Bella Swan causing such massive waves among the vampires and werewolves.

Is there even a flashback explaining why she suddenly wanted to show she could follow orders, or are we told she just wants to do that?

Yes, actually. They show that she used to act rebellious against him (presumably in her teenage years), just because she knew she could get away with it.

On the other point, she did make a point to mention that the destruction of Zebes also meant the demise of Ridley

That just means why she didn't obey orders, not why she suddenly wants to show she can follow them.

Now granting that the other times she fought him, she might have not thought he died those times, but that just means she'd be surprised, not crippled with fear, since even if she didn't think she killed him, she still fought him and beat him multiple times.

It's not as though when she fought Ridley those times, she had to do it like Sarah Connor in the first Terminator. She actually fight Ridley and one, more than once.

She's following orders because she is assisting in a military operation on a military vessel. This isn't like her last missions. The GF didn't hire her to investigate, the only reason she is even aloud to stay is because Adam authorized it for her to assist under the condition she follows his orders.

But like i said, she thought he was gone for good. We don't know how she felt those other times when she fought him. And its not like she stays crippled for long, she shakes it off and then proceeds to beat the crap out of him.

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

Around the Network
darkheart709 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

She's following orders because she is assisting in a military operation on a military vessel. This isn't like her last missions. The GF didn't hire her to investigate, the only reason she is even aloud to stay is because Adam authorized it for her to assist under the condition she follows his orders.

But like i said, she thought he was gone for good. We don't know how she felt those other times when she fought him. And its not like she stays crippled for long, she shakes it off and then proceeds to beat the crap out of him. Ridley is

1. Again, the order to let the guy tell you when you can use your weapons is not a sensible order. The only logical reason for that would be situations that weapons would be a good idea, and there are no such jutifications in the game.

2. That only justifies the surprise, NOT going into traumatic flashback.

3. We DO know how she felt. Since apparently this goes off the story of the manga, Samus has told Ridely she's not the same person as that scared girl.

4. A full minute in the heat of battle is long. I'm refering to a panic attack, not being comatose. And she should have proceeded to do that first thing.

LordTheNightKnight said:
darkheart709 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

But like i said, she thought he was gone for good. We don't know how she felt those other times when she fought him. And its not like she stays crippled for long, she shakes it off and then proceeds to beat the crap out of him. Ridley is

1. Again, the order to let the guy tell you when you can use your weapons is not a sensible order. The only logical reason for that would be situations that weapons would be a good idea, and there are no such jutifications in the game.

2. That only justifies the surprise, NOT going into traumatic flashback.

3. We DO know how she felt. Since apparently this goes off the story of the manga, Samus has told Ridely she's not the same person as that scared girl.

4. A full minute in the heat of battle is long. I'm refering to a panic attack, not being comatose. And she should have proceeded to do that first thing.

1Our military has something similar. Certain things might not be allowed unless they are deemed necessary, whiles some things are out right forbidden. They are restricted to protect the lives of civilians and military personnel. Other countries posses other restriction. Samus is like a walking tank, capable of destroying entire space stations if she wanted too.

For the record, i do agree with you that some of those restrictions are just plain dumb. Super Missles and Power bombs were really the only things that needed restrictions, the grapple beam, space jump, and varia suit should not have needed authorization. Gravity suit i'm chalking up to that it wasn't really necessary until later in the game. Screw attack seems very deadly so maybe that considering it takes out some enemies so easily. The writers clearly didn't think that plot device through.

2.3.4. Obviuously Samus isn't over what happened and seeing him back after she was so sure he was dead triggered something.

Monster Hunter Tri

please delete

Monster Hunter Tri

please delete, my computer is acting stupid

Monster Hunter Tri

@darkheart709: Lrn 2 txt u noob!