By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Abbie Heppe (G4TV): Metroid: Other M is Sexist

Rhonin the wizard said:
Resident_Hazard said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
Resident_Hazard said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Wagram said:

Well the people at G4TV are definitely not my friends. Adam Sessler IMO is the only good reviewer they have.

i'll second that. isn't this a different samus? the other M! the other samus. so shes not the same samus

"Samus" does not start with the letter "m."

Other Metroid might be referring to Samus herself, Metroid in the Chozo language means "ultimate warrior".

It's the same Samus--that's been said for a while.  M, for that matter, could be "Mother Brain."  Isn't anyone playing this yet?

I am not saying that there is a different Samus, I'm saying that Samus could be the other "ultimate warrior". I gave a different interpretation to what the M in Other M might stand for, nowhere did I state that there is a different Samus.

The guy I originally quoted said as much, not you. 

My impression is that the "other m" somehow refers to that signature little Metroid hatchling Samus found on SR388. Obviously, it's an integral part of the game's plot.

Around the Network
menx64 said:

Women are so different... Samus is perfect, but Abbie Heppe in the other hand... Jealousy

How is saying that making Samus into something imperfect mean jealousy? I don't think you actually paid attention to her points.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

Is she gave Bayonetta a glowing review, and chides Other M for sexism. She just lost any credibility she had.

I think it was just mentioned she liked the character design, and compared to a lot of outfits in games, that doesn't make it hypocracy at all.

Besides, was the main character of that game portrayed as a damsel or a badass?

Bayonetta is great game but lets review it for a moment. Bayonetta's clothing is composed of her hair. The more powerful her attacks the more hair is required and the more nude she becomes. Even her walking animation is sexualized.

Darc Requiem said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

Is she gave Bayonetta a glowing review, and chides Other M for sexism. She just lost any credibility she had.

I think it was just mentioned she liked the character design, and compared to a lot of outfits in games, that doesn't make it hypocracy at all.

Besides, was the main character of that game portrayed as a damsel or a badass?

Bayonetta is great game but lets review it for a moment. Bayonetta's clothing is composed of her hair. The more powerful her attacks the more hair is required and the more nude she becomes. Even her walking animation is sexualized.

Well was the commen t Abbie made from the whole game, or just looking at the character design beforehand.

Plus while there is showing some skin, there is still a difference between that and forcing a heroic character to act like something less than that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
darkheart709 said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

This is going to lead to some interesting things. Somebody just had their imagination of Samus trampled on, and this is the sort of reaction you get. This is what comes from defining things that were previously left to the players' imagination (though not entirely, because these elements of Samus' past have been indicated before)

Sorry but no.

They made good points with good arguments to support them.  When she has defeated Ridley multiple times already why break down and cry now?  That is retarded, as is dying from lava when your suit can protect you but don't want to offend some guy so wait for him to give the ok.

At the beginning of the game she is pretty confident that Ridley is dead, she defeated him then blew up the planet he was on. To her the nightmare that has caused her so much pain was finally gone, then she see him again alive and well. Its underatandable that she'd be upset.

Upset would be in the form of frustration, not suddently being crippled by her trauma. Plus where the hell does it indicate in that scene that she's going off of why he's still alive? That seems to be fans trying to fill in the plot hole, and the writer is supposed to do that, not the audience.

When she see she's him she shakes her head in dibelief and says " It can't be!" She thought he was dead and whens she saw him she panicked, she didn't expect him there at all. You can also look at it as her freaking out because no matter how many times she defeats him, he still comes back. Hell she blew up the freakin planet he was on and he still survived. After so many times of fighting him I'd be like " WHAT! YOUR STILL FUCKIN ALIVE!?"

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

Around the Network
darkheart709 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
darkheart709 said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

This is going to lead to some interesting things. Somebody just had their imagination of Samus trampled on, and this is the sort of reaction you get. This is what comes from defining things that were previously left to the players' imagination (though not entirely, because these elements of Samus' past have been indicated before)

Sorry but no.

They made good points with good arguments to support them.  When she has defeated Ridley multiple times already why break down and cry now?  That is retarded, as is dying from lava when your suit can protect you but don't want to offend some guy so wait for him to give the ok.

At the beginning of the game she is pretty confident that Ridley is dead, she defeated him then blew up the planet he was on. To her the nightmare that has caused her so much pain was finally gone, then she see him again alive and well. Its underatandable that she'd be upset.

Upset would be in the form of frustration, not suddently being crippled by her trauma. Plus where the hell does it indicate in that scene that she's going off of why he's still alive? That seems to be fans trying to fill in the plot hole, and the writer is supposed to do that, not the audience.

When she see she's him she shakes her head in dibelief and says " It can't be!" She thought he was dead and whens she saw him she panicked, she didn't expect him there at all. You can also look at it as her freaking out because no matter how many times she defeats him, he still comes back. Hell she blew up the freakin planet he was on and he still survived. After so many times of fighting him I'd be like " WHAT! YOUR STILL FUCKIN ALIVE!?"

If he came back multiple times, she would know better than to be shocked he came back again.

And, no, suddenly going into crippling fear is not a natural reaction when you've faced it before, and also thought you conquered it those times before.

This kind of thing doesn't happen unless there is some reason given for her resolve since then (also stated in the manga, which is supposed to be a jstification for her behavior) has broken down, and no such reason is given.

If that had been a flashback to the first time she fought Ridely, even before the first game, it would have made sense. It does not make sense now.

She would literally have to have some kind of mental disorder to freak out when she hadn't in the few times before. And there is also nothing in the game to indicate that.

This whole Other M controversy is classic example of Nintendo being damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Hardcore" gamers complained about Nintendo games not being story based and their lead characters lacking voice acting, so a Nintendo game is release with those features and everyone is happy right? Nope, just more bitching.

Darc Requiem said:

This whole Other M controversy is classic example of Nintendo being damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Hardcore" gamers complained about Nintendo games not being story based and their lead characters lacking voice acting, so a Nintendo game is release with those features and everyone is happy right? Nope, just more bitching.

Well considering that minset is just demanding that Nintendo copy the other developers, I really have to side against that notion.

But here's it's more how bad the story is than there being a story.

Samus somehow wanting to prove she can follow orders makes about as much sense as Bella Swan causing such massive waves among the vampires and werewolves.

Is there even a flashback explaining why she suddenly wanted to show she could follow orders, or are we told she just wants to do that?

At this point, call me an intellectual coward, or whatever the article on here called people who said, "but it is just a game!" but I have SERIOUS issues where a gane would get dragged to a 2/5 level because of voice action or how a character is fleshed out.  A GAME needs to be evaluated based on game things first, like: gameplay, controls, graphics, sound, etc.... 

MAYBE you knock a point off for story and character development, but I say that is all.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Darc Requiem said:

Well considering that minset is just demanding that Nintendo copy the other developers, I really have to side against that notion.

But here's it's more how bad the story is than there being a story.

Samus somehow wanting to prove she can follow orders makes about as much sense as Bella Swan causing such massive waves among the vampires and werewolves.

Is there even a flashback explaining why she suddenly wanted to show she could follow orders, or are we told she just wants to do that?

Yes, actually. They show that she used to act rebellious against him (presumably in her teenage years), just because she knew she could get away with it.

On the other point, she did make a point to mention that the destruction of Zebes also meant the demise of Ridley

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.