By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The MYTH of American Islamophobia

superchunk said:

Article is self defeating.

1. Even after the total number decreased it was still over 4 times higher than pre2001, shown some increase in at least reported incidents.

155 incidentas out of 315 million people is not a phobia

2. Of the 3000 people murdered on 9/11, a great number of them were Muslim as well.

"Great number" huh?? The US muslim population is 2%.  Which means apporximately 60 muslims were killed, not including the 19 muslims that perpetrated the attack, that not a GREAT NUMBER of anything

3. The 'controversial' Mosque is closer to an existing Mosque than Ground Zero and you can't even see it from Ground Zero.

The mosque location IS part of the 9-11 attacks as the landing gear from one of the planes went through the roof. 

4. This is raised in US because we are the US and must hold ourselves to higher levels and standards than any other nation, especially those Muslim nations you all like to use for comparison so much.

No moral equivelance

5. No one says America is a land of intolerance, just that it seems the right-wing is becoming more and more radical, which is scary as that path leads to the same extreamism we denounce daily.

So the right-wing is more dangerous than radical islam....huh???

6. Author's name is 'Goldberg' (Jewish).... ok j/k on that one, just thought it was funny, ya know whole Isreali/Jewish issue with Palestinian/Arab/Muslim etc... ok joke has past.

Stereotyping, a great way to lose all credibility

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Kasz216 said:
superchunk said:
Kasz216 said:
superchunk said:

1. Even after the total number decreased it was still over 4 times higher than pre2001, shown some increase in at least reported incidents.

2. Of the 3000 people murdered on 9/11, a great number of them were Muslim as well.

3. The 'controversial' Mosque is closer to an existing Mosque than Ground Zero and you can't even see it from Ground Zero.

4. This is raised in US because we are the US and must hold ourselves to higher levels and standards than any other nation, especially those Muslim nations you all like to use for comparison so much.

5. No one says America is a land of intolerance, just that it seems the right-wing is becoming more and more radical, which is scary as that path leads to the same extreamism we denounce daily.

6. Author's name is 'Goldberg' (Jewish).... ok j/k on that one, just thought it was funny, ya know whole Isreali/Jewish issue with Palestinian/Arab/Muslim etc... ok joke has past.

3)  The existing community centre isn't... 15 stories tall.

So its not the relative proximity but the height? Just build a bigger memorial... oh wait one hasn't been built yet... after 9 years...

Yes?  The real problem isn't really the height or the location.  It's the visibility.

I mean, it'd be like building a giant church within visibility of a burned down mosque that people who lost people in the fire had to walk by every day to get to their replacement mosque.

You have the legal right to do it, but you'd be a huge douchebag for doing it.

Although you know... not as bad, since one mosque isn't really equivlenet since way more people make the commute.

It's common senese...

You can't see the site from Ground Zero, even at 15 stories tall... its just stupid.

You don't think so?  Seriously, google map it.  You totally will.  If you zoom down enough you can see all the one building between it.

Also note where the WTC subway exit is.

You are just... wrong.  You can see the buildings on that block from ground zero.

Kasz216 said:

I'm guessing said protest has far less support.

... There are protests and rallies and the Tea Party is there. They've also defaced the other mosque that is there, etc etc.

It doesn't matter if there is less support. They are protesting an American right, while at the same time, the tea party espouses constitutional integrity. 

*tagged for reading when I wake up*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

PizzaFaceGamer said:

superchunk STOP SPREADING FALSE information

The muslim population in America is HIGHER than the jewish population yet jewish hate crimes outnumber muslims hate crimes 6-1

. The population of American adherents of Judaism was estimated to be approximately 5,128,000 (1.7%)[3] of the total population in 2007 (301,621,000

Muslims  make up 2% of the population and ONLY 155 hate crimes out of 315 million people happened last year.

THAT IS NOT A PHOBIA

Stop your liberal lies

False information really?

1. I have never read anything that says Muslims outnumber Jews in the US.

2. As I said before the attacks on one group have nothing to do with the legitimacy of attacks on another group. You are proposing a logical fallacy.

How is any of this discussion liberal vs conservative? Its about ignoring social problems by ignorantly comparing them to similar but larger problems.

Around the Network

It's so fucking hypocritical.

You know what they see on every street corner in iraq nowadays. Take a guess.

We're a country of pampered spoiled brats and ethnocentric attitudes.

I agree that anti-islamic sentiment isn't as out of control as the media would like it to seem. But protesters need a whack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, and a loud firm "NO. BAD"

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:

I'm guessing said protest has far less support.

... There are protests and rallies and the Tea Party is there. They've also defaced the other mosque that is there, etc etc.

It doesn't matter if there is less support. They are protesting an American right, while at the same time, the tea party espouses constitutional integrity. 

My point is.  You are trying to discredit and actual protest that has a point, by bringing up one who doesn't.

It would be the equivlent of say, people protesting that veal farms are cruel because they lock in a calf to where it can never move for it's entire life....

and saying "Yeah, well PETA also says nobody should have pets and that animals should be protected under the exact same laws humans are".

Although, as far as I can tell from 5 minutes of research, the two things look completely different.  It seems like there is little national support and concerns over groundwater based on burials being done at that site and a bunch of different issues, only some of which doing with intolerance.

PizzaFaceGamer said:
superchunk said:

"Great number" huh?? The US muslim population is 2%.  Which means apporximately 60 muslims were killed, not including the 19 muslims that perpetrated the attack, that not a GREAT NUMBER of anything

The mosque location IS part of the 9-11 attacks as the landing gear from one of the planes went through the roof. 

No moral equivelance

1. ok, the attacks are extreme actions based on the phobia, not the only way to see that it exists. The absurd discussion about the Mosque by a much larger % of US population is a direct example of the phobia at a national level.

2. Muslims killed on 9/11 is more of a demonstration that the terrorist who did the act did so against everyone regardless of religion. Another reason the discusson about the Mosque is pointless.

3. omg that is 100% stupid. I can't even reply in serious terms.

4. Don't understand what you mean.

5. No, I said the right-wing is becoming radical as time goes on and it only has one possible end result; which is like 'radical Islam'.

6. Did you not see I said I was joking... jesus you need to pull your stick out of your ass.

superchunk said:

...and there are attacks on other religions, races, etc every day that don't make the news, so what. Right now its all out in the open on Muslims due to the stupid outcry for the Mosque in NYC, as well as other places in the nation. If this were about Synagogues then Jewish attacks would be being highlighted as well and I'd come into that thread and agree that its wrong on all accounts, not discuss the attacks on blacks, gays, etc.

You're assuming that this has to do with the mosque, when there is roughly one anti-Muslim hate crime every three days and nothing is really said about it in the national media. So a cab driver gets slashed (horrible incident) and a guy urinates in a mosque and calls the people terrorists, and the media goes wild over it because, hey, we were just talking about a mosque!

But two drops don't make a rainstorm, and this is very typical of how the media covers things. Like when there's a high profile kidnapping, you'll often see several such stories grabbing headlines for a while and it seems like there's been a rash of such incidents.Bbut in reality there wasn't any uptick in kidnappings, only a change in how much media attention they're receiving.

superchunk said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
superchunk said:

No moral equivelance

1. ok, the attacks are extreme actions based on the phobia, not the only way to see that it exists. The absurd discussion about the Mosque by a much larger % of US population is a direct example of the phobia at a national level.

2. Muslims killed on 9/11 is more of a demonstration that the terrorist who did the act did so against everyone regardless of religion. Another reason the discusson about the Mosque is pointless.

3. omg that is 100% stupid. I can't even reply in serious terms.

4. Don't understand what you mean.

5. No, I said the right-wing is becoming radical as time goes on and it only has one possible end result; which is like 'radical Islam'.

6. Did you not see I said I was joking... jesus you need to pull your stick out of your ass.

I don't think anyone saw you were joking. 

I mean, 6 isn't really any different from your usual stance and attitude in such regards.